Upgrading to GNex, what happens to my data plan?

jazzbassist1

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

So I am currently the owner of a 16-month-old Droid X, for which I have an unlimited data plan. Lately, my phone has been crapping out on me due to old hardware, so I was looking at buying a Galaxy Nexus either through Craigslist or Ebay, depending on where I can get a better deal. I want to purchase it off-contract so that I can get another upgrade in December when my 2 year contract expires.

The problem I'm having is understanding how my data contract works. If I were to buy a Galaxy Nexus and activate it on my current plan, would I have access to LTE data? And if so, would it be unlimited? Would activating a 4G phone on my 3G data plan affect my contract at all? I figure someone else has gone through this as well, so I thought I'd ask before I dropped a couple (hundred) bucks on a phone that I might not be able to use. Thanks for all your help!

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I upgrade from my X to the Nexus 3 weeks ago, and nothing changed. If you have unlimited data and upgrade, you still have unlimited data. 3g ,LTE it doesn't matter unlimited is unlimited.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jazzbassist1

jazzbassist1

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I upgrade from my X to the Nexus 3 weeks ago, and nothing changed. If you have unlimited data and upgrade, you still have unlimited data. 3g ,LTE it doesn't matter unlimited is unlimited.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This is fantastic news. Thanks for the help!

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
To further clarify the only time you have to worry is when you downgrade to a dumbphone then upgrade to smartphone later on then you will have take the 2 GB etc options. As long as you stay on a smartphone it doesn't matter if its 3G or 4G you will keep your unlimited data.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
To further clarify the only time you have to worry is when you downgrade to a dumbphone then upgrade to smartphone later on then you will have take the 2 GB etc options. As long as you stay on a smartphone it doesn't matter if its 3G or 4G you will keep your unlimited data.
At least for now that is.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Do not let anyone at vzw tell you that you can't keep your unlimited plan. Tell them they're misinformed and hang up and call again.