VZW Killing Unlimited Plans (Finally)

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon decides to take away my unlimited data away while I am under the current contract with them now, I will use that against them to get out of my contract for them breaching it, and I will leave for a different provider. Only reason why I remained with them. There are plenty Pre-Paid GSM providers out there.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
someone correct me if Im wrong.... but wouldnt they only force you out of it once you try to upgrade again, if you want a subsidized phone price that is?

or will we just get a letter in the mail saying we are no longer unlimited?

-D

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Switching to T-Mobile when I lose unlimited. The only reason I'm paying Verizon $76.16 every month is because I have unlimited data. Bring me down to 2GB and I'll go with T-Mobile's 5GB full speed data with unlimited throttled data, unlimited texts, and 100 minutes for only $30/month TYVM.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
someone correct me if Im wrong.... but wouldnt they only force you out of it once you try to upgrade again, if you want a subsidized phone price that is?

-D

I hope that's the worst case scenario. I don't mind paying full price for my phones from now on if that means keeping unlimited data.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Not a huge deal for me as most of my data consumption is through wifi. Will be a drag on extended trips from home.
Those who would leave vz should consider the massive 4g coverage they have. Hard to live without it.

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Not going to happen during your current contract. When you upgrade, especially if after the summer.... Times they are a-changing folks. C'est la vie.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Buying a phone at full price or on eBay won't help you. When you go to activate it on Verizon they will force you into a new data plan.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Buying a phone at full price or on eBay won't help you. When you go to activate it on Verizon they will force you into a new data plan.

What if you just keep present phone, they just break the contract come summer?

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

-D

From what Verizon has told me, that isn't correct. I was told that even if I purchased a phone off contract and paid the full retail price I would still need a service agreement before I could activate it.

I purchased my Nexus off contract because I wanted it but didn't have an upgrade. My contract end date did not change. But say my contract was over and I purchased a full retail Nexus and went to activate it they would at that time require me to enter a new 2 year agreement.

They do not activate phones without a service agreement. Ever, it can be an existing agreement or a new one, but there has to be one before you can get service.

Who knows if that is true or not though. It is just what a rep told me. When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me as a customer.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site

We all knew this would happen (and it did). Verizon is all about the fees, add 'em on baby. They're always been like that. What I want to see is if I have 2GB and my wife has 2GB could we use/share some of that on our iPads? Now we have to pay like $30 for a month of data, no contract. If they let us do that it would be cool. I don't use 1 GB of data/month, it's mostly WiFi.
ATT charges $20/month for 2GB. Tmobile is actually a good deal, and I liked them for the 3 years I had them. We shall see what the future of smartphones is.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
If none of the carriers differentiate themselves from the other, it's gotta only hurt the biggest players, right? I mean if TMO, VZW, SPRT, and ATT all have the same business model all across the board, why stay with VZW? Because of the very nature of LTE, once it fully matures, why will we even need as many carriers as we do today? Someone correct me if I'm not seeing this right.

Bjamar24

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Switching to T-Mobile when I lose unlimited. The only reason I'm paying Verizon $76.16 every month is because I have unlimited data. Bring me down to 2GB and I'll go with T-Mobile's 5GB full speed data with unlimited throttled data, unlimited texts, and 100 minutes for only $30/month TYVM.

That is the worst thing you could do....I give T-Mobile 2 years and they will be gone... vamoose out of business. Atleadt here in the states there already laying off 1600 people.....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
From what Verizon has told me, that isn't correct. I was told that even if I purchased a phone off contract and paid the full retail price I would still need a service agreement before I could activate it.

I purchased my Nexus off contract because I wanted it but didn't have an upgrade. My contract end date did not change. But say my contract was over and I purchased a full retail Nexus and went to activate it they would at that time require me to enter a new 2 year agreement.

They do not activate phones without a service agreement. Ever, it can be an existing agreement or a new one, but there has to be one before you can get service.

Who knows if that is true or not though. It is just what a rep told me. When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me as a customer.
No reflection on you Saiga, but this can't be correct.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
No reflection on you Saiga, but this can't be correct.

It isn't. I think the confusion is that they often will require you to have completed a contract. They won't activate a full price phone unless you already have an account with them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
That is the worst thing you could do....I give T-Mobile 2 years and they will be gone... vamoose out of business. Atleadt here in the states there already laying off 1600 people.....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

How is that a bad choice? If they do wind up going out of business while I'm using their network, then I just switch to another network.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I hope what I said is incorrect. Like I said it was just what I was told.

It does make sense that it would be like this. I mean if you buy your own phone from ebay and put service on there with no contract then it would be a month by month deal. Don't see why VZW would allow you to do that. Seems really friendly for them lol

Last edited:

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
On a bright note... Ive got a phone with unlimited data, a contract through the end of next year.... and my phone should stay up to date software wise (whether on my own or officially) for at least another 1.5yrs if not more :)

Im not concerned.... doesnt do me any benefits to be worried about it...
-Danny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress