Is your GPS always on or off?

mraviator

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Since i had the original Droid, and now also with my Galaxy Nexus, I've kept GPS turned off to prevent battery drain and warmer device temperatures. I only turn it on when i use navigation or maps.

But with Google Now on the horizon, it might be useful to keep it on all the time. I'm curious what others are doing with their GPS setting habits?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

uscsailor

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This is one of my biggest annoyances about Android. The GPS is only on when it needs to be used, such as during GPS navigation or checking in on Facebook or Foursquare. I have kept GPS on my Android phones for three years, and its never used any battery. I use Google Now right now, and GPS hasn't drained enough to even appear in my battery stats.

Reactions: mraviator

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I keep mine on all the time as well. I keep forgetting to turn it on when I need it. So, it was easier to just leave it alone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Always on, makes no difference to battery unless i am using something that needs it, besides i find it is so much more operational than having to turn it on all the time.

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Always on.. Doesn't use that much battery, and when you turn it on, it takes a minute to find you so it's kind of annoying.

mraviator

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, guess I've been doing it wrong for the last few years. Always on it is. Thanks!

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Always on. To many apps take advantage of location services.

Unless an app is pulling data from your GPS it is not doing anything standing idle. Never understand why people turned their GPS off and I am yet to see anyone prove it kills your battery with it on.

BaMaDuDe87

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Odd man out I guess,always off for me unleas I go on a trip. Dont really need everyone knowing my every move and I have lived in the same town my whole life so dont need it to get around here. I just have no use for it everyday.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I have ALWAYS on:

- GPS
- LTE
- WiFi
- Bluetooth

Current apps where syncing is on:

- Haxsync
- Tango Contacts
- Touchdown for Exchange
- VZ Backup Assistant
- Gmail
- Dropbox
- Facebook

NFC is off

My battery burn rate averages somewhere between 4% and 5% per hour.