Fix for Google Now not searching correct sources

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
A few days ago, Google Now decided to stop searching nearby places when I asked it to "call [nearby place]." The recognition engine would show me the *correct* text, but then it would proceed to call someone from my contact list that sounded closest to what I had searched. If I rephrased, and said "call [nearby place] in [my city]", I could sometimes get it to work. However, it had become increasingly problematic. I found a quick fix, and while most of you can probably figure out what it is, I'll post for the benefit of those who are having similar problems.

1. Settings, Apps, Downloaded. Go to Google Search (if you don't have this entry, this may be part of your problem!)
2. Clear data. Don't worry, you won't lose any information on cards, etc.
3. Reboot

If you're having this issue, hope this works for you!

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I'm finding myself having to do this more than once, meaning after a while, it will stop searching for nearby places. Anyone have ideas?

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Update: Clear Data only works for a few queries, then it's back to not working again. I've uninstalled Maps, then Google Search. Then re-installed in the order of Maps, then Google Search. So far, it *seems* better, I really hope this will keep working!

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
One more update; the plot thickens! If I *type* the exact query? It works perfectly. Every time. If I speak it? It rarely works, and I have to clear data to get it to work again for a few runs. This clearly seems to be a bug to me.

cridleyjr

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
A few days ago, Google Now decided to stop searching nearby places when I asked it to "call [nearby place]." The recognition engine would show me the *correct* text, but then it would proceed to call someone from my contact list that sounded closest to what I had searched. If I rephrased, and said "call [nearby place] in [my city]", I could sometimes get it to work. However, it had become increasingly problematic. I found a quick fix, and while most of you can probably figure out what it is, I'll post for the benefit of those who are having similar problems.

1. Settings, Apps, Downloaded. Go to Google Search (if you don't have this entry, this may be part of your problem!)
2. Clear data. Don't worry, you won't lose any information on cards, etc.
3. Reboot

If you're having this issue, hope this works for you!

This did not work for me. I had to uninstall Google Search and everything worked great!

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Looks like we got Google's attention, as a Googler has responded to my post. Those of you experiencing search problems, can you please post at the link above? Thanks!