Root for Verizon GSIII

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Has the bootloader been unlocked or is this just a workaround?

Just a workaround. This is a really important, but fairly minor step in the right direction. This just enables flashing ROMs and using root apps. No flashing kernels=no true AOSP though.

Kench33

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Just a question. What exactly is flashing a kernel? Since I have a dx I just flash roms

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

DJSgalaxy

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad they've got root now. But since it voids your warranty I may wait until there's a way to sbf back to complete stock. Btw, I'm not sure if sbf is the right term. I'm an ex Motor user.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Just a question. What exactly is flashing a kernel? Since I have a dx I just flash roms

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

"Kernels handle things like CPU speeds and voltages, and a custom kernel can have a modified CPU table that allows for speeds well beyond the CPU?s original specifications."

With the ability to flash kernels and an open bootloader we could easily get a reliable AOKP Jellybean port.

Sent from my ICE CREAM SANDWICH (CM9) powered DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

tayswg20

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Lol, poor Verizon will never match the tenacity of the dev community. Even though I'm not even close to being a dev, I somehow feel like I'm a part of it and it makes me feel all fuzzy when something like this happens. O:)

inm8num2

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Lol, poor Verizon will never match the tenacity of the dev community. Even though I'm not even close to being a dev, I somehow feel like I'm a part of it and it makes me feel all fuzzy when something like this happens. O:)

Agreed. I'm not a dev, and I don't really do much with roots and customization, but it's troubling how carriers like Verizon want to limit the functionality people have with their phones.

If they did updates on a regular basis and didn't cram the phones full of bloatware, devs wouldn't have to do their jobs for them.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad they've got root now. But since it voids your warranty I may wait until there's a way to sbf back to complete stock. Btw, I'm not sure if sbf is the right term. I'm an ex Motor user.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

For Samsung devices you use a program called Odin. Which is pretty much the same as an SBF on a Motorola device. I've had my share of moto devices as well. Odin will restore the stock factory image on your device exactly like rsd lite would do.

Bounced off of my JellyBelly into your eye.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Any updates from anyone that's rooted? My S3 should be here in a day or 2. Looking for feedback

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Any updates from anyone that's rooted? My S3 should be here in a day or 2. Looking for feedback

Rooted two days ago using the method in the OP and removed that pesky ongoing wifi notification yesterday. Haven't had any issues.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
For Samsung devices you use a program called Odin. Which is pretty much the same as an SBF on a Motorola device. I've had my share of moto devices as well. Odin will restore the stock factory image on your device exactly like rsd lite would do.

Technically, Odin is analogous to RSD Lite. You flash a .tar file with Odin just like you flash an .sbf file with RSD Lite.

When using Odin, it is very important to choose PDA not Phone as your device type, or you will end up bricking your device.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Right now there are just too many issues and too many unknowns with this phone for me to root. The most safe thing to do is to root only but not load CWM. It looks like once you load cwm that your counter starts incrementing if you load even a cleaned up stock rom.

I'm going to wait until later this week and then see what has been worked out (if anything) and make a decision about this phone at that point.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Right now there are just too many issues and too many unknowns with this phone for me to root. The most safe thing to do is to root only but not load CWM. It looks like once you load cwm that your counter starts incrementing if you load even a cleaned up stock rom.

Can you post a link to a thread discussing the fact that the counter starts incrementing after installing the CWM recovery? I can't seem to find any reference to this. Thanks.

Reactions: sicario666

tk020507

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Can you post a link to a thread discussing the fact that the counter starts incrementing after installing the CWM recovery? I can't seem to find any reference to this. Thanks.

At the bottom of the OP, there's a little Q&A section

Second to last question:
Q: Does this trip the flash counter?
A: No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress