Signal issues?

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just got my s3 32gb blue last night, I am setting under a tower and am getting 3 bars 4G and the best I can do is 3.5 mbs on a speed test, my wife's resound is getting 5 bars 4G and 15 mbs, anyone else seeing this problem?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
S3 -112. Resound -87

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Oh man. That was something I was waiting for confirmation on before ordering a SGS3. Aside from the abysmal camera, the radio was the other reason I returned my GNEX. I will however wait for more feedback on this before deciding on the SGS3.

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Did you *228 it like ten times? The numbers are so far off that the S3 almost has to be connected to a totally different tower. That, or it literally has no antenna in it at all.

You can't do *228 on a 4G phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
What? Have u had a 4G phone none of them can u do *228 the sim does it for u.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I was joking. And the "automagic" process that verizon uses to update the 4G tower data is highly suspect in this case, there's no way two handsets in the same spot talking to the same tower are 25 dB apart. Anything over 100 is more or less useless for its intended purpose, so either that phone is talking to the wrong tower or it's 100% busted.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
People comparing it to gb phones it reads two different things, hence why such a huge variance

Agreed. But that's a shame that the reading isn't consistent across is versions. I mean what's the point if it's going to change from OS to OS? I wonder about those users comparing it to ice cream sandwich though. Or comparing to a non android device. Its unfair to just give the gs3 a pass because all things arent equal. All things will almost never be equal. Signal strength should just ne signal strength. I mean I know everyone loves this phone but that doesn't mean it still can't have weaker signals which have been a trademark for samsung phones on Verizon. Maybe not nexus bad but still may not be as good as htc or moto. When people first started reporting nexus problems you had people telling them there's nothing wrong with the phone and so on. Now look at it. Personally I haven't had issues with my nexus as far as dropping calls but the signal is noticeably weaker than any other phone I've compared it to. Let's hope this isn't the case but it's surely not something to dismiss given samsungs track record.

stoneynumbnuts

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I just received my galaxy s3 today. So Far I have got a better, stronger signal than I had on my galaxy nexus. It is about the same as my wife's razor maxx running ice cream sandwich. I am pleasantly surprised. I too was worried about the signal after spending the last seven and a half months with the poor signal on my nexus. Mine seems much better. I'm happy with it.

Nebgator

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I activated my White 32G S3 earlier today.. In terms of number of bars at the same spots/locations compared to my Iphone 4s and Droid Razr (sold), S3 seems to be worse (1 or 2 bars less than those). However, I did not realize any sound/reception/data problems. In fact, voice call is the best among the 3 phones. Signal level -96db with 2-3 bars, but superb voice quality, no drops yet.. 3G data is faster than both Iphone 4s and Razr.. :p

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just hope the sound is better then my Rezound! I have such a hard time hearing ppl on my Rezound! Of course I hope the reception is good too but I am so sick of trying to figure out the best position to hear ppl on the rezound!

thatfeel

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess that might explain why I can't even get 4g here? Granted, I can't compare anyone elses 4G phone because I don't know anyone with Verizon that has a 4G phone at the moment. I can never get a stable 4G connection and last I checked I was at 130DBM despite verizon's tier 2 techs telling me I am right next to a 4G tower. The only time I can connect to 4G is if i'm inside the Verizon Wireless store, and then I'm getting blazing fast 4G speeds... but once I leave, nada.

I can however compare this to 3G. My Droid 2 gets 2-3 bars with stable but slow 3G speeds. (I would say about .50 mbps) but my samsung S3 constantly drops 3G and goes to 1X or even no data all the time. And if I am on 3G it is around .10 - .20mbps.

I replaced the sim card so I guess I'll try doing a warranty replacement now...