Vibration quirk

Tb311

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have not used it yet since its not fully supported but reading the app description on the market place it does say you can control lights, sound, and vibrate patterns.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I have not used it yet since its not fully supported but reading the app description on the market place it does say you can control lights, sound, and vibrate patterns.
That would be an awesome work-around if this is true (and hopefully Samsung/VZW just adds this feature natively into the system in the near future)

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad others are experiencing this (well not really, just glad I'm not alone in it). I first saw it mentioned on a forum on the Sprint website but I hadn't been able to find any other cases. It's definitely a bug in the software, though. LightFlow would be a great fix, but until it's working fully for the GS3 there's no point in installing it. It'll make the phone behave worse.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, this is annoying. I liked my DX where gmail notifications gave a short vibration, whether the ringer was on or vibrate (nothing in silent mode). Since the S3 ringer does not get quiet enough at its lowest setting for my tastes, I just put it on vibrate during the day at work. But gmail notifications are the long heavy vibration (even though I've changed it to "heartbeat"). Furthermore, when I do have the ringer on, it doesn't vibrate at all even though in the gmail notification settings I have it set to Vibrate - always. So I did find a short, quiet chime on Zedge that I set for gmail notification. But as for the vibration, I did find where you can change the vibration intensity in the sound settings: Sound>General>Vibration Intensity. So I have left "call intensity" higher, and turned down "notification intensity". I haven't gotten an email in vibrate mode since I found that setting, so don't know if it worked yet. Since changing the vibration pattern to "heartbeat" didn't work for gmail, I'm not getting my hopes up.

daneeyul

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Partial answer (this sets for CALLS, not texts... the text is still stuck on basic call, but at least you can make them different)

Settings > Sound > Device Vibration > Whatever you want

EDIT: never mind, you already did that. Read, Daniel, read before you reply.

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody found a solution to this, yet?

I know this is an older thread, but I just got my GS3, and I'm a bit annoyed. I can't change the vibration pattern for text messages. I found this thread, and seeing how you all were having the same problem ... but you've had 3 or 4 months to solve it. What did you learn? Are there any options?

anon(13306)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Use Handcent Messenger.

I've been using Handcent since I got my OG Droid, but I've always just turned off notifications in the stock messaging app. When I got my S3 and ran into the problem that we've all been discussing, I finally just used Handcent to disable the stock messaging app (it's in the options somewhere), and defined a custom notification pattern (0,120,75,175) which will create two short buzzes when I receive a text. Handcent doesn't handle my email (and I don't think it has the option, either), so all bets are off for email messages.

Using handcent in lieu of the stock messaging app will at least separate your call and text notification patterns.

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I've been testing Go SMS Pro currently. Handcent is on my list to try next. You are right, it isn't a perfect solution. Honestly I had no problem with the other features of the stock messaging app. But getting the different vibration patterns is important to me.

I'll give Handcent a go soon.

scoobydrew

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Just got my GS3 today as well and noticed this error. I use the GMail App and get a lot of emails per day (more than texts), so this is a very annoying problem.

I may just root + load CM10 or another custom ROM in a day or two.

russds

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just adding my 2 cents. Same issue with me, and I've got a Tmobil Galaxy Note 2. From what I can tell the bottom line is that settings at "Settings -> Sound -> Device vibration" really only effect the calls. All other types of notifications (sms, email, calendar reminders, etc.) default to the "Basic Call" vibrate. Which as many have pointed out is super annoying, and doesn't seem to be editable. A 3rd party app might be the only help at this point. I'm going to try Lightflow as that seems to account for all types of notifications (email, sms, etc.). any body else have success with 3rd party apps?

russds

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Lightflow seems to be working well. I've tried it with gmail, and it does work. I had to disable the vibrate notifcation within the gmail app as it was causing 2 vibration notifications symultaniously. But once I disabled it in the app, the Lightflow vibrate nofication started kicking in and seemed to work well. I'm usually very adverse to installing 3rd party apps, and only install the ones i need, but this seems to be a keeper so far.
-Russ

Kyle_vdk

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Does that effect every thing associated with that contact (SMS, email, phone call, etc.) ?

From my experience that seemed to only effect the call. I have tried to set ALL my contacts to a different vibrate pattern but for SMS it is still the basic vibration. I'm still trying to solve this issue. I tried to use light flow but that software was soooo buggy and quirky for me that I just couldn't do it.....

HWinMT

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
This just worked for me: Touch Messaging on Home screen. Touch Menu bottom left corner. Touch Settings. Scroll down to Notification settings. Under Vibrate, uncheck (Also vibrate when notified).

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
This just worked for me: Touch Messaging on Home screen. Touch Menu bottom left corner. Touch Settings. Scroll down to Notification settings. Under Vibrate, uncheck (Also vibrate when notified).

Pretty sure most people want SOME type of vibration notification - just not one that goes on for 3 seconds.