GS3 Radio Performance?

Jay A whY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Looking to make the switch from the Rezound..

Feedback about the SG3 radio performance compared to your last smartphone would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know if the Verizon version of the GS3 has hidden world phone capabilities like the Rezound?

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HDs

PeteJE

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I have seen no difference with my droidx. I have great signal all over socal.

Verizon said world roaming will come with a software update - unfortunately to me that means don't hold your breath.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wnrgway

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
It's not as good as my iphone 4 was. My home is in a weak signal area and I regularly drop calls. It was a rarity with the iphone. My wife had an HTC Incredible and says that the S3 is a little better.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
i think that it is pretty comparable to my rezound. both the rezound and gs3 are very close to my maxx. keep in mind though that there isn't a perfect phone for EVERY situation. in some areas, my maxx had better signal than my rezound, others my gs3 had better than maxx...so we are talking overall usage. of course, ymmv depending on where you are particularly in fringe areas.

Sent from my Droid Razr MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I have had a GS3 now for a week and I can tell you, it does not get as good a signal as my rezound did. However, I have never dropped a call or lost a data connection yet. It works just fine here in central new jersey and i am simply loving most everything about this phone! I do miss the sense e-mail client though.:)

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have had a GS3 now for a week and I can tell you, it does not get as good a signal as my rezound did. However, I have never dropped a call or lost a data connection yet. It works just fine here in central new jersey and i am simply loving most everything about this phone! I do miss the sense e-mail client though.:)
I am in Central NJ as well and do notice that 4G signal can actually change every few blocks. This is completely different than my Droid X 3G signal was. BUT, I've never dropped a call and call quality is great so I'm not complaining.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

When you say not as good signal, what are you looking at? bars of signal? or db? if db, what tool (or where) are you looking?

Sent from my Droid Razr MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

walkingrock

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Signal isn't as good as my Droid 2, that is disappointing; but I LOVE the screen. Have had it for 5 weeks.(=can't get data connection where I could with Droid 2, in a relatively week signal area, also phone signal not as good quality as I had with Droid 2 in fringe area.)

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
IMO the release modem (VRLF2) is much better than the one on the "updated" phone (VRLG1) in low signal areas. I've tried the latter twice at my parents house which has poor signal and have reverted to VRLF2 both times as the connection kept dropping altogether.

Reactions: davidnc

Jay A whY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
So I purchased the S3 to see if the Sammy radio will impress me. So far so good, definitely better than the GNex, but not better than the Rezound. If GS3 had the Rezound's radio and the built-in antenna battery back it would be a match made in heaven! More field testing this week..

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't compare to modern phones, but it doesn't do as well as my old Palm Pixi. With that said, the only place I've really noticed was even I was in a store shopping for beer and wanted to check some reviews. Worked with the Palm, but I had no service with the S3.

Jay A whY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I really want to keep the GS3, but in building use has me doubtful.The GS3 has dropped LTE and had to toggle airplane mode to re-establish a LTE connection. Might try flashing a different modem firmware as suggested in other posts.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2