What is going wrong?!

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm "The Superuser" (oxymoron because I'm not rooted), but thats besides the point I'm new here and hello!

I joined these forums looking for help...I researched and am at my witts..
A background of my phone:
8 days old (2daays left to return)
16gb
Verizon
5020 Quadrant benchmark at startup
Bought at Wal-Mart

Now...my battery is going at an alarming rate..I disabled NUMEROUS apps. Turned power saving mode on. Using WiFi mostly. Uninstalled JuiceDefender had no idea how to work it ..but this battery situation is ridiculous. Or this may bring normal but I see that % go down 1 every couple of minutes...

I'm just hoping I'm just being over worried.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums.

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the screen by 40% and use of phone is at 3h mark. 65% battery left.
I'm also contemplating rooting the phone if this would make any difference..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Is the screen on the whole 3 hours??? Need a little more info on what might be running. What else is in that list? Are you actively using it or is it decreasing just sitting idle with the screen off? What apps have you installed? What all did you disable?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Sounds about normal I suppose. Heavy users I'm guessing will get 3-4 hours of screen on time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
rsz_matt_003.jpgrsz_matt20_001.pngrsz_matt20_003.pngrsz_matt20_004.png

Drained from about 85 to 35 in 4-5 hours. Screen on FULL OFF. Power saving mode on.

EDIT: Have no idea what "ahprodis.." is and why its installed and using power on my phone, went a head and uninstalled.

Attachments

• rsz_matt20_002.png
    rsz_matt20_002.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

thelastdraco

May 31, 2010
Visit site
At your current state you are getting 10 hours of battery life on a full charge which is not bad at the rate you are using your phone. Have you been on wifi the whole time?

The SuperUser

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Most of the time. Only use mobile altogether about 30mins a day.
I just don't understand though how some people get 16hrs or something..

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Most of the time. Only use mobile altogether about 30mins a day.
I just don't understand though how some people get 16hrs or something..

I promise you if you can get 16 hrs with the GS3 your screen on time is low and your not working it and using mostly wifi, no auto sync etc. I have a spare GS3 for the last 3 days that I have been comparing with. I have all the same apps running, no sim, running wifi, sync on, gps, screen bright, etc. that is the way I run all my phones"full bore". The only time I have turned the screen on is to check battery usage and clear my notifications.Screen on 2%!!! Obviously the battery will have an even larger advantage compared to an activated one on 4g. I have 1 day 15hrs and 42 mins with 28% left.
Now my activated GS3 running 3-5 bars 4G 2 miles from tower, running all the same apps, but checking my twitter and facebook apps, couple forums, no games, 21 texts and 14 emails. 18 min phone calls. Screen on 29%. Which I consider light compared to how I normally use it. = 51% left at 3hrs 2 min.
Its hard to compare mine to yours or yours to his, his to mine. Because to many variables. But I don't try to baby my batteries or phones. I like to run them without limitations so it doesnt bother me much about how quick my phone dies. I just prepare. Extra batteries, car charger, etc. Except for my Razr Maxx.lol.

With all that said. From my experience including my son's GS3 and a handfull of friends. The GS3 is a battery hog! 4G good or bad signal is a big contributer. Hopefully fixed with radio updates soon. Mean while call VZW tech support and ask for a spare battery and they will usually send you one.
I keep hearing everyone say "sure is strange I get great battery life" but its not. Every GS3 forum I read there is at least 5 threads, some back to back about battery usage.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you what helped my battery life significantly. Changing WiFi Advanced Setting to KEEP WI-FI ON DURING SLEEP...ONLY WHEN PLUGGED IN. It made a HUGE difference.
Apparently, when I wasn't actively using phone, having WiFi on ALL The Time ate the battery life.
I also did a factory reset & that seemed to help a bit too.

FWIW

Fireman2252

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you what helped my battery life significantly. Changing WiFi Advanced Setting to KEEP WI-FI ON DURING SLEEP...ONLY WHEN PLUGGED IN. It made a HUGE difference.
Apparently, when I wasn't actively using phone, having WiFi on ALL The Time ate the battery life.
I also did a factory reset & that seemed to help a bit too.

FWIW

This also worked for me.

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have found leaving the GPS on is also a huge battery drain. Shutting it off until I need it has given me the ability to get a full day from my battery.