Galaxy S3 connecting to my home media PC

cbjfan2009

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
My goal is to connect my PC and Galaxy S3. The important thing to consider is I don't care about data going from the phone to the computer. I want to stream my home media to the phone. I haven't found, through searching, a very friendly approach to doing this.

I've considered using Kies, but I don't think it will do what I want (maybe it does, I'm not setting it up right?). If Kies is the best option, please link me to a description of how to set it up.

I currently use PS3 Media Server (PS3MS from here forward) and TVersity to stream media to my PS3. Can the phone locate and connect to my home media servers in a way similar to the PS3? I've read that the transcoding settings for the phone are not native to most media servers, but it's technically possible. I've been unable to get my phone to correctly configure and connect. When I went into "Nearby Neighbors" or "Nearby Devices" or whatever, I see listed the "Windows Media Player", "TVersity" and "PS3 Media Server" icons. When I click on them, I get an error about a device being incorrectly configured. How do I know which one it is?

PS3MS would be the ideal connection, I think, because it's so easy to transcode as needed.
Another option I've considered is a remote desktop connection, but the setup seems tricky (and the better softwares not free).
Last consideration: If at all possible, I'd like to be able to access the home networked files on-the-go, not just over my home wi-fi. Any ideas folks? I greatly appreciate it!!

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I just use Splashtop to access my HTPC. Not free, but it does what it does well.

It is nice to remotely tap into the DVR system when travelling so I can watch the local news at night before going to sleep.

-Suntan

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not saying what you're trying to do is impossible, just trying to provide what little info I know if it helps...

DLNA media sharing is a "server-client" kind of setup. With PS3MS (I have used that as well), your computer functions as the server, the PS3 as the client. Generally, the roles cannot simply be reversed -- in other words, you couldn't use PS3MS to access files on the PS3 via your computer...only the other way around. Your S3 also has builtin capability to operate as a DLNA server, but I'm not sure if the client capability is there (but there may be apps that can do that). Bottom line: you need a media player of some kind that can access your computer files (either via DLNA or simple file sharing). I imagine they are out there, but again, I don't personally have any experience with it. If you found one that supported DLNA, then you could use the PS3MS to stream the media.

You second part of the question gets a bit more complicated. To access the files remotely, you'd need to setup a few other things, such opening ports on your router, setting up dynamic DNS (unless you have static IP...but most people do not), establishing a VPN your phone could use to access your home network, etc... I've seen tutorials posted on how to do this, but I don't recall off the top of my head all of the necessary steps. The alternative would be if there is an application that you could install on your PC and phone that would leverage these steps for you, similar to the "server-client" setup mentioned above...perhaps someone here knows of something like that?

cbjfan2009

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Great answers so far. I assumed the server-client relationship for using PM3MS, but wasn't sure if there was a specific feature of the phone that allowed it to view/browse the folders as the PS3 does. Is there a software media player that does this? I've heard of "MPlayer" or something like that, but not sure it would meet my needs.

So I just read on another forum post and it piqued my interest. A remote desktop is a VPN, correct? The GS3 has a VPN feature built in (at least I had an icon called "VPN" when I first got it). Can I setup a VPN and somehow direct connect to the PC?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You second part of the question gets a bit more complicated. To access the files remotely, you'd need to setup a few other things, such opening ports on your router, setting up dynamic DNS (unless you have static IP...but most people do not), establishing a VPN your phone could use to access your home network, etc... I've seen tutorials posted on how to do this, but I don't recall off the top of my head all of the necessary steps. The alternative would be if there is an application that you could install on your PC and phone that would leverage these steps for you, similar to the "server-client" setup mentioned above...perhaps someone here knows of something like that?

Yeah, Splashtop.

It handles the connection when logging in remotely (not on your LAN.)

-Suntan

cbjfan2009

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Roger. Any free options out there? I read a description of Splashtop that said it required a subscription for non-LAN types of connection. If not, Ill just try to read up on this VPN/Remote connection thing to see if it can be done without a dedicated app.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
As you can see by my posts, the whole DLNA issue is a mess. But, here is what I have learned thus-far:

Don't use the DLNA or Nearby Devices to manage your content... use the actual app. So, if your PS3MS is DLNA compliant, turn on Nearby Devices and make sure you understand which "thing" that is in your ALLOWED DEVICES list. Once it's there, make sure it's not also found in your Not Allowed Devices List. If it is, check it and then DELETE. Now, pop on over to your APPS and launch Video Player (native or not, depends on what you choose). Across the top of the screen underneath the notification bar is your sub-menu system. You'll see Thumbnails List Folders, etc. This sub-menu scrolls left/right. Scroll left and you should see a sub-menu called Nearby. This is where you actually launch your content from your Wifi DLNA compliant connections. Now the kicker is whether or not the content is transcoded to work on your S3 and if you have the proper codec to run said content.

In short, I found that the whole NEARBY DEVICE "thing" is really just to get the connection going but you need to use the device apps to find the content. Not like the good old days of All Share where it was a One Stop shop. I hope this helps and addresses your problem. As for the Files On The Go concern, have you simply tried Google Drive? I think All Share Play also fills that niche for media content too. Many options...

cbjfan2009

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Success on one front: I was able to get media streaming to my phone by turning on media streaming in Windows Media Player. Then, I used MediaHouse to browse the files, and MX Player to execute playback of the files (both are free!!). This was all over Wi-Fi, so I'll keep researching ways of doing on-the-go. -edit-

I'm reading about VPN vs VNC access. My limited understanding is that VNC allows direct control, versus just accessing shared files through VPN. Is this accurate? If so, for my purposes, VPN is still preferred for my on-the-go access goal, right? I don't need to manipulate the files from my phone, just receive a stream.
Thanks!

Last edited:

mlebl1h

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
For my home media PC, I use Remote Potato (a.k.a Remote Media Center). The PC (Core i3-2120) is running Windows 7 Media Center, which handles DVR duty. I set up my media library under Media Center's 'Videos' section. The Remote Potato server gives you control of the 7MC recordings and video library for free. Make sure you use the latest server version from myfrem.nl . There is an Android app, Remote Media Center, which you can use to access your remote potato server, and stream recordings and your media library. All of this is included in the free app, which is the one I'm using. The paid app, for $4.99, adds live TV streaming.

The first time I tried streaming on the go, I remember I was watching an NFL game from a recording-in-progress, just slightly delayed. I set the video to "highest quality", and the picture was crystal clear. The playback via MX Player had lots of stutter, though. I played with the MX Player settings, and found that enabling hardware decoding (H/W+) on a network stream solved the problem after I restarted MX Player. Now playback on my GS3 is very clear and smooth. I'm away from home, but connected to a fast Wifi, and I just tried playing a 720p H.264 video from my library, and it's also very clear and smooth.

cbjfan2009

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to try out your suggestion, mlebl1h. As for streaming to my phone using PS3MS, it started working properly tonight when I got home from work! I've attached a screenshot for the heck of it.PS3MS cap.jpg
Before, when I couldn't stream through PS3MS, the "Samsung Allshare", PS3, and WMP icons popped up with a "Unknown Renderer" icon. This time, it sees that I have ANDROID!
I've come to realize one negative of my plan to stream media on the go: data. The average video I'd be hoping to play back is over 3GB and I don't have unlimited. I guess, if I'm near a Wi-fi source, then I'd be able to do this.

press35150

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Just use the ALLSHARE PLAY app that comes with your phone. I use that and stream movies, music and pics to my phone with no problem. You'll have to go to the AllShare Play website to download the program for your computer/laptop and register your computer/laptop. After that you can stream from your computer no matter where you are. Areas with 4G coverage work best

Dan Price

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Get app called network audio player. Works perfectly. I had to create a user & pw to log on to my home network, but hey, no complaints. I can access everything on my PC from my Galaxy S3. Play music from my server upstairs on my galaxy while sitting by the pool! Hope this info helps y'all!

Karl Pitterson

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I can access my videos from my pc and my s3 shows it but when i try to play it, I get network connection problem. I checked all my registered devices and they are good to go, help.