screen goes black during phone call

laflaone

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
have the s3. During a phone call, the screen will go black. does it with the speaker both on and off. when i move it away from my face, it does not light back up. very annoying if you have to enter number options. the proximity sensor is not covered. appreciate some suggestions.

xoayr

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Try these :)

Option 1:
Try turning on "Smart Stay (Screen stays on as long as you are looking at it)". Settings > Display.

Option 2:
Try turning off "Auto Screen Off During Calls (Turn on proximity sensor during calls)". Click the Phone App > Menu Button > Call Settings.

Option 3:
Try doing a Battery Pull while the phone is on and wait 30 seconds before putting it back in.

baybstr

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a case on it that surrounds your proximity sensor? I got a kool kase from one of the kiosks in the mall and that was the issues. Try taking off the case and see if that helps

Michael Ream

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same issue and was really getting annoyed by this. I kept tapping the home screen just to get back to the call option and found out I was making this more difficult since I will end up on the home screen (Idiot). Just tap the power button on the right side and the screen should light back up. The proximity sensor on this phones are crap. They really need to update this.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
1am, huh? Ugh, fun times indeed! Glad you got them though!

Your G-1 first look video today was great! I love that you can add Folders to the Home screen and put stuff in it like your games. Sweet!

It is not that they are"crap", but rather that they appear to be hyper sensitive. Like it doesn't take much to trigger them.

I can move my phone less than a quarter of an inch when talking to someone and see my screen come on out of the corner of my eye. Move it a little and the screen shuts off again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

shemtov

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Tried a bunch of the suggestions.
Uninstalled apps, re-loaded the ROM, etc....
Figured out that the screen protector was dirty around the sensor (top left) and voila...problem gone!
D'oh!.
Thanks for all the advice though...learned a lot.

Miguel Costa

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Try these :)

Option 1:
Try turning on "Smart Stay (Screen stays on as long as you are looking at it)". Settings > Display.

Option 2:
Try turning off "Auto Screen Off During Calls (Turn on proximity sensor during calls)". Click the Phone App > Menu Button > Call Settings.

Option 3:
Try doing a Battery Pull while the phone is on and wait 30 seconds before putting it back in.

do you know if option 2 is still available? I have the same problem but not in galaxy s3, in another phone but the android version should be the same and I wanted to try finding this or some similar option

paulmwright

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the 10.1 samsung android tablet with phone built in and there is no option to stop the display turning off in the middle of a call.

The main concern during a mobile phone call is - will the line drop - Having a display that turns off all confirmation that the call is still live IS a suboptimal usability issue, as the suddenly blackened display implies the call has dropped. Grappling for the power button to turn on the display is very cumbersome and counter intuitive and interrupts the flow of a conversation.

Android Developers - please make the display stay on during a phone call as default, and at minimum make it so the user can choose this behaviour on 10.1 tablet as it is certainly preferable for most people. Saving 30 seconds of display time compared to the downside of interrupting a voice call makes this an easy choice. Otherwise Android is good.

Thanks,
Paul

plusequitycg

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
do you know if option 2 is still available? I have the same problem but not in galaxy s3, in another phone but the android version should be the same and I wanted to try finding this or some similar option

"It is not in settings menu" When you are at the dial pad screen. Press bottom left soft key to bring up "Call Settings". Then uncheck (Auto screen off during calls) This will solve it

sreenee2336

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
found a different reason for my phone and from windows phone forums

now its REALLY FIXED ;-) but need to open the phone (only two screws ;-) )

Symptoms:
Experience screen and touch sensor switch off during a call, Notifications (the screen stays off, like if it was in a pocket) which doesn't turn on as usual.

Try:
If during a call you press and hold the upper left corner of the glass -just between the speaker and the upper left corner- you will notice that the sensor works as expected.

I think :
Because of the layered nature of the phone internals design and the heavy use of ribbon connectors it had to be tight to connect the board with the sensor.

My Solution:
I just added a peace of sponge (W:4mm/H:5mm/L:15mm) (all weather door and window sealant) -that comes self adheasive from one side- and sticked a small peace on the board on the opposite side of the phonejack/secondary mic connectors (Pictures attached) this will add pressure on the board to be more tight ;-) tried it and working as normal.

dhading1

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
hi
i will like thanks for information about samsung galaxy which i had problome for weeks and solve the problome.
I really appreciate.

raju

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the 10.1 samsung android tablet with phone built in and there is no option to stop the display turning off in the middle of a call.

The main concern during a mobile phone call is - will the line drop - Having a display that turns off all confirmation that the call is still live IS a suboptimal usability issue, as the suddenly blackened display implies the call has dropped. Grappling for the power button to turn on the display is very cumbersome and counter intuitive and interrupts the flow of a conversation.

Android Developers - please make the display stay on during a phone call as default, and at minimum make it so the user can choose this behaviour on 10.1 tablet as it is certainly preferable for most people. Saving 30 seconds of display time compared to the downside of interrupting a voice call makes this an easy choice. Otherwise Android is good.

Thanks,
Paul

For some people it's not 30 seconds but could be a couple hours of screen time. That is a big deal in terms of battery life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699