Does a messenger app exist that will play nice with iphones group texting?

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I regularly text 4 or 5 other iphone users at the same time. I know, I need to rethink the company I keep :)

Anyway, the app works better for group messaging than any other app I've tried. No duplicate messages, no manual downloads, it just works.

However..... It freezes. A lot. Constantly locking up. Good app, but way too unreliable.

Is there something out there, paid or free, that will work as seamlessly as a blackberry or iphone when it comes to group messaging?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I regularly text 4 or 5 other iphone users at the same time. I know, I need to rethink the company I keep :)

Anyway, the app works better for group messaging than any other app I've tried. No duplicate messages, no manual downloads, it just works.

However..... It freezes. A lot. Constantly locking up. Good app, but way too unreliable.

Is there something out there, paid or free, that will work as seamlessly as a blackberry or iphone when it comes to group messaging?

You didn't actually say what app you're currently using...?

Anyway, I have found that Verizon's own messaging app actually works really well for group texting. The GUI isn't quite as nice as a few of the other popular ones, but in terms of functionality, it's one of the best I've used, which is why I continue to use it.

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
My bad :)

I'm using the Verizon app too.

I find it very unstable.

I don't think I've ever seen it update.

Do you think I should delete and reinstall?

I also get a lot of failed to send errors that friends respond to. So clearly it sent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
My bad :)

I'm using the Verizon app too.

I find it very unstable.

I don't think I've ever seen it update.

Do you think I should delete and reinstall?

I also get a lot of failed to send errors that friends respond to. So clearly it sent.

That's strange, I've run that app on both my old Thunderbolt and current GS3 without incident. To be fair, I'm not a heavy texter...I use Google talk much more often, however a few of my iphone-owning friends still insist on using SMS. None the less, I don't think I've ever had it lock up on me. Do you have a lot of conversations with large numbers of messages? Could just be that your message store is getting too large and it's time to go in and delete some older messages? (not sure, just brainstorming).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you all on Google+? The Messenger feature seems to work well for my Circles.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I use GO SMS...works perfect for group texts. You just have to enable that option after you install...not on by default.

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I am but no one else is. Google plus seems to be going the way of my space except it never got popular to begin with.

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying the go sms app. Slowwwww.

It takes 30 seconds to load a group conversation. Not sure this is a good solution either. Is there something I'm doing wrong? When I click on the multi participant thread, it opens and literally takes 30 seconds before the texts appear.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what could be wrong...I've never experienced that lag.

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to go into the stock messenger app and delete some of these group threads and maybe start from scratch.

I know you make Gosms the default app, but do you need to do anything in the settings of the stock messenger app?

I'm not sure what could be wrong...I've never experienced that lag.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to go into the stock messenger app and delete some of these group threads and maybe start from scratch.

I know you make Gosms the default app, but do you need to do anything in the settings of the stock messenger app?

The only setting I change in the stock messenger is to disable receive notifications

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I figured out what we think wrong. I had max message setting at 1000. And I testing with 5 people for months. So I had 5k mms messages in one thread. Took hours to delete. Probably overwhelming the messaging software.

wolverine2003

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Read the reviews on Kik. Seems a little creepy. Seems like some sort of hookup service.

Probably b/c they use PINs like Blackberry Messenger does and people are more likely to give that out freely instead of their phone number. I stopped using a while back b/c the rest of my family got Android phones and we're all on Google Talk now, but from what I remember, you can deny people from adding you to this lists. It also has the sent/delelivered/read notifications like Blackberry Messenger does. Unless they got sued since the last time I used it.

Last edited:

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
KIK always worked pretty well
I would stay away from whatsapp after they had that whole hacker breach thing..

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Are you all on Google+? The Messenger feature seems to work well for my Circles.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I am but no one else is. Google plus seems to be going the way of my space except it never got popular to begin with.

I love the G+ messenger. Not only does it have a lot of the great features of BBM, such as group chat and the ability to add pics to the thread, but it's the only chat/messenger I've ever found that works great with iPhone users too.

I'm not really much of a social networking person. I rarely use my FB account, and twitter is primarily just a news feed for me, but I really like what Google plus has to offer: the public feed capability of Twitter, with the personal sharing of FB (without any of the other annoying FB crap). Add to that how well it's already integrated into my Google profile for everything else I use, and it's really not bad...unfortunately I know very few people who actually use it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The hardest part about picking a service is deciding on the service.

I understand what you're getting at...but that's really not far off the mark.

Personally, I'd LOVE to get away from SMS/MMS altogether. It's slow, clunky, requires mobile network and actually costs me money on my phone bill every month (yes, I have "unlimited" texts, but there is still a fee tied to that). The problem is that there's no one service that all my friends use. Google Talk is great, except for the fact that the iPhone app for it sucks, so most of my iPhone friends are always "offline". Google+ messenger works well with iPhones, but doesn't communicate on the desktop like the standard Talk app does...and few of my friends have actually set it up, even though it's quite easy if you have a Google account. Then there's the friends who lack interest in tech and just use FB for everything.

So at any given time I'll have a few SMS conversations going, several on Talk, several on G+ messenger, and a few FB threads all going at the same time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89