My one major complaint about the Galaxy S3

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
What is aFile manager, when dealing with the picture gallery?

A file manager has nothing to do with the picture gallery really. There are many file managers available in the play store, Astro, ES File Explorer, Root Explorer, etc. Just a browser for the files on your device, like Windows Explorer on your computer.

Most will let you browse the folders containing your pics with thumbnails.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I recall that placing a .nomedia file in a folder does not have a recursive result, so placing a .nomedia in /sdcard/Music would only hide images in the root music folder--not the 200 folders contained in it.
Are we talking a .nomedia FILE, or FOLDER?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Are we talking a .nomedia FILE, or FOLDER?

File. To be fair, I have not created an empty directory for this purpose. I am pretty sure it would just create another directory that most of your apps would not see.

Yup, it's file you place in the directory. Again, it's a bit off topic from the OP's question, but just a quick way to make certain directories "private" from the gallery, should you have a need for that.

For example, I have a lot of technical screenshots and diagrams, etc., that I carry around for stuff I do for work. I like having it on my phone so I can reference that stuff if I need it away from my office (because I often have to work off-site), however I don't need them clogging up my gallery app, so I drop a .nomedia file in there. Without going into specifics, I'm sure people can think of other types of pics they want to keep private from wandering eyes and nosy friends...

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
For example, I have a lot of technical screenshots and diagrams, etc., that I carry around for stuff I do for work. I like having it on my phone so I can reference that stuff if I need it away from my office (because I often have to work off-site), however I don't need them clogging up my gallery app, so I drop a .nomedia file in there. Without going into specifics, I'm sure people can think of other types of pics they want to keep private from wandering eyes and nosy friends...
QuickPic

Vancers13

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Guess I don't understand "the Android way" either -- if it means "clear cache" and "clear history" buttons that do nothing!
Same with "Application Manager - Google/clear cache/data - they do nothing!

Every time I pull the phone out of my pocket there is some screen I never asked for, asking me to do something I have no interest in.

I can only hope that some day - soon - some developer out there will be wise enough to give back control to the owner. Or is "ownership" just an obsolete concept these days? No ownership ... and no privacy. Just "users" and "sharing" information...

Jackee Hunt

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if its just my phone but everytime a close out of the browser it goes back to the homepage. For example I could be searching on the internet for a recipe and then I need to switch to something else like messaging. When I leave the browser to go to my messages. Once I go back to the browser its at google again. Is there anyway to fix this.!!!!

Maddiisawesomepants

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I know exactly how you feel. :p As I was reading through this though I opened gallery and noticed that they do have an option that must have been added quite recently or I'm, just not that observant haha. Anyway it's not ideal but it does allow you to see all your photos in one major thing. It's just a little more fancy (which is actually really cool and there are two options it's just not as useful as it could be). Hope this helped if only a little :)

JSE

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I with the OP. There needs to be an "All Photos" folder in the gallery that combines camera photos, dowloaded photos facebook, picassa, etc. Basically, if there is a photo on the gallery, there should be one folder that has them all in addition to the separated folders.

I did find a way to work around it. When you open your Gallery and you are in one of new "fancy" layouts instead of the folder icon/list view, you can tap on "Album" at the top and switch to "Time". This will bring up all photos in the galleries in order of time taken/added.

Not ideal. but it seems to work.

Markita Agnew

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
After 5 months with this phone I've wondered the same thing. It drove me nuts going through 8 folders to find 1 pic. You don't need to download anything. Its simple, yet a little time consuming. The Galaxy's have a app called My Files. Click on it.it will give youna few general folders and one that says All Files. Click that. Now if you have a memory chip card in your phone you will see 2 similar folders. One will say SDcard0 and extSDcard. The ext is external SD and the other is the internal phone memory. Click the one where your albums are. This will show you all your files, either in the phone or the memory card. Depending on the file name, you may have to click each folder you see until you locate the albums. Now decide where you want these pics to go. On my phone I have a basic Camera albm where my new pics save. I decided to merge all the albums in there to only have 1 album in my gallery. Ok so find the albums you want. Open that file to show all the pics. Click the menu button and choose select all. After that there will be an option in the top right corner with an arrow. Click that and choose Move. It will take you back to the 2 options of SD and extSD. Depending on where you want them to go, click there. Once you find your destination, in the top right it will say Move Here. Click that and there you go. Repeat this until you have merged the albums together.

I read these replies and said there has to be a way to do this without downloading extra apps and I figured it out.