Where is the 4.3 Update for the Verizon Galaxy S3?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Whatever your problem is, an update is most likely not going to fix it. There are no widespread issues right now with the current version. There was a problem, but Verizon fixed that and reissued the update months ago.

Then time to start having them replace phones.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Then time to start having them replace phones.
If what you need is the best signal quality that you can get, you got the wrong phone. You should have gotten a Motorola phone - they have some of the best radios in the Android product line.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

clembrowning

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Cspire is getting their s3 update today.
The galaxy nexus on verizon announced it would get its as well, they have only waited six months.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I always get a kick out of the rage and speculation associated with upcoming updates. It's not like we're getting some magical new operating system that's going to completely change our phone. Take a chill pill and it will be here when it's here.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The issue isn't Verizon, though, it's the platform.
Sigh. Well, if you want to get down to it, the issue is platform differentiation - it's the same issue that computer OEMs have faced for decades: how to make MY product - better/faster/prettier/shinier/smaller (put your favorite adjective here) - so that customers will buy my product rather than one from a different OEM. And at the same time, build brand loyalty so that in a couple of years, when the phone is - slow/ugly/banged up/not fashionable/broken/not under warranty/not receiving the latest OS updates/(add the reason that you'll be replacing your phone here) - the customer will think of my brand first.

Google produces a reference design (Nexus) that the OEMs change as they see fit based on cost, their target market, what the carriers want, etc.

With an open architecture comes differentiation and fragmentation; with a closed architecture (think Apple computers, and now phones) the manufacturer (note: there are no OEMs) has tight control over everything and dictates the product life cycle.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Platforms are differentiated. Devices and OEMs are as well. But I think you're misusing the term platform. Putting TW on a phone doesn't make it a non android device.

Also nexus is worthless for this because it uses hardware a ton of phones don't. It isn't just the base OS. Drivers and such are also important. One phone cannot reference an entire hardware ecosystem unless you control the base specs like Microsoft. Google has 0 control over that.

No one mistakes android for Windows phone. The issue is the platform was designed to allow carriers and oem this control as a means to get them to use it. They further monetize android with bloatware and baking their services into the FW.

That's why they love it. They can't do that on other platfoms, which prohibit them to profiting mostly from device sales and baseline smartphone services (voice, sms, data).

iOS and Windows Phone doesn't so they don't suffer this kind of update lag.

And to the person who said not to expect the radio to improve with a FW update. That's false and it's like saying Moto X users shouldn't have expected the camera to be improved with any FW updates. These things can be improved, and the issue that VZW had earlier was with the phone not maintaining an LTE connection IIRC (which is still fails to connect to LTE forcing me to reboot at times, so that hasn't be totally fixed either), which is not the same as bad reception/low quality signal.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

JRLittlejohn

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Disagree with your comment stating that the vast majority of users couldn't care less about updates. What are we? Apple users? My biggest beef with VZW is that they lack communicative skills. They have an obligation to their customers and should keep us informed about updates, etc.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The vast majority of S3 owners that I know, have no clue what the FW is in the first place, and have no idea what an update is.
So, why do you think the vast majority care? Do you have charts and tables showing percentages of users that do, and don't know what the FW is?

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Disagree with your comment stating that the vast majority of users couldn't care less about updates. What are we? Apple users? My biggest beef with VZW is that they lack communicative skills. They have an obligation to their customers and should keep us informed about updates, etc.

They have no obligation to give a firm date for a software update.

Airlid

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I got tired of waiting so I rooted my phone, de-bloated it and now I like it so much now I may just stay with 4.1.2 for a while.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You're right but it sure would be nice if they did. Then a lot of people wouldn't be complaining so much about not having it already.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I have to agree with the above statement that the majority of people couldn't care less. Yes, those of us that are "into it" care a lot but most people? Nah...

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I find it odd how people go out of their way to ignore things to push their own views forward.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech