Where is the 4.3 Update for the Verizon Galaxy S3?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Maybe people finally got smart and realized that all this conjecture, whining and complaining wasn't accomplishing anything.

GC736

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
This thread is so dead, did everyone finally give up? :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

They had to charge their phone after hitting "Check for update" every five minutes.

But I will admit, I'm guilty of checking several times a day.

Posted via Android Central App

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Please keep the discussion civil. I suggest that the participants of this thread take the opportunity to review the forum rules. Violations will be dealt with in accordance with the AC forum rules.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with the above statement that the majority of people couldn't care less. Yes, those of us that are "into it" care a lot but most people? Nah...

Right.. I was on a vacation recently and saw a TON of S3s.. nearly all had the familiar home screen that you get on a clean reset.... I'd argue that those people probably don't obsessively pour over their settings, tweak and cajole... root and flash... they just turn it on, install apps and use it.

People have been conditioned, at least with phones, that if you want something new, you'll probably need a new phone. Updates are something that just happens and they are often surprised that they got a cool new feature because they didn't bother to check.

Not everyone is an enthusiast.

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
So I just saw a coworkers phone and she is on Verizon and has the 4.3 official update already somehow I didn't take a picture cause I didn't want to seem weird so I guess believe me or not. She said it just popped up the other day telling her to update and that she hasn't had and problems or anything since the update

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I believe you, my fiancee got the update too but I asked her to defer because it's not a release but a test release.

nashi#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I believe you, my fiancee got the update too but I asked her to defer because it's not a release but a test release.

There are people on the XDA Dev forums that would love to get their hands on the update, you might consider chatting with them to see if you can get them the file so they can make us a rom to use the soak test. If you're intrested, post about it in the huge thread discussing the release in October.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
What, "test release"? No carrier releases beta updates, they're intended to be the finished product.

Not always. It's not considered a beta, but I'm have done Soak Tests for Droid phones in the past. They release the update to a small group of pre-screened users who then report bugs back to Motorola.

While true the update is mostly done, some bugs do get worked out by the Soak testers.

Sent via the X!

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Not always. It's not considered a beta, but I'm have done Soak Tests for Droid phones in the past. They release the update to a small group of pre-screened users who then report bugs back to Motorola. I'm sure Samsung and HTC have similar programs.

While true the update is mostly done, some bugs do get worked out by the Soak testers.

Sent via the X!

Sent via the X!

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Not always. It's not considered a beta, but I'm have done Soak Tests for Droid phones in the past. They release the update to a small group of pre-screened users who then report bugs back to Motorola.

Sent via the X!

Yes, but testers are a whole other matter. The guy I was responding to said that his girlfriend just received a beta release so he told her to decline. That's flat out incorrect, there is no beta release going out to random people.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, there's the Samsung Galaxy S3, and there's the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3. The key difference there is that Verizon has to be done porting their "added value" *sigh*, and they really do put a bunch of junk on their phones. The S3's from other wireless providers that put less junk on their phones are already out, just that Verizon apparently isn't done yet.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but testers are a whole other matter. The guy I was responding to said that his girlfriend just received a beta release so he told her to decline. That's flat out incorrect, there is no beta release going out to random people.

Gotcha. I've never heard of a beta release either.

Sent via the X!

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Sent via the X!

Soak Tests are a Motorola thing. Motorola rolls out updates that way to mitigate the affect of any bugs in the update. They do it for their unlocked devices as well and carriers like Verizon have simply signed onto using it for their devices independent of what they do with other devices...

There is no "Soak Test" for Samsung devices, so I'm not sure where or when this fallacy was invented.

Staggered Roll-Outs are common, however there aren't enough people saying they got an update (and you have no clue what the update is, because she never installed it) to think it's that. He first mentioned his fianc? getting that update notification almost a week ago. That is quite a long time, and if Verizon was doing this they'd have already updated the documents on their website to reflect it and simply told people they were rolling the update out in phases, which is common and an easy "out" to regurgitate to people anxious about a FW update after a roll-out (even very limited one) begins.

Lastly, the Galaxy S3 LTE model reference in the thread above is an International Device, with [IIRC] different hardware than ours. That has nothing to do with ours, and Samsung omitted features out of that update to avoid issues.