FYI, KitKat update kills Foxfi (apparently) on the Verizon HTC One

Lightshield

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Just completed the update on my phone. Upon reboot I got a notification warning me that someone could be spying on my Network Communication because I had the Foxfi credentials installed..

Upon Launched Foxfi it seems to work as usual until the end, I get the popups saying I need to subscribe to mobile Hotspot.

I removed the credentials and reinstalled, still the same thing.

Just a FYI to you folks if Foxfi is essential.

Posted via Android Central App

928SC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Well that sucks. I found this in the change log :
- Over The Air (OTA) Wi-Fi exclusivity is now implemented
I assume this is what is blocking FoxFi.

Is there a way to block 4.4.2 from downloading? If not, I may have to look into rooting.

Wynnsman

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Well that sucks. I found this in the change log :
- Over The Air (OTA) Wi-Fi exclusivity is now implemented
I assume this is what is blocking FoxFi.

Is there a way to block 4.4.2 from downloading? If not, I may have to look into rooting.

Great! This sucks! Do you think foxfi will fix it?

928SC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just got a FoxFi update from Google Play. In the "what's new" section it states that wifi mode will not work with 4.4. Please use USB/Bluetooth mode instead. Looks like it isn't just Verizon and they are working on it.

Lightshield, can you try Bluetooth mode and let us know if it works. I have not updated to 4.4 yet and will try to hold off as long as I can until they fix this, thanks.

bill1171

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I occasionally tethered and connected mostly to wifi on my phone at home, so I wouldn't abuse my data usage.I have unlimited data. Now I'm disabling wifi and going all in see how much damage i can do. Thanks VZ

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
So with KitKat update you cannot use FoxFi app to tether the One to (say) your iPad, but you can use a wire or BT. Is that what I'm getting from this?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

Not usually if you're stock. I know people who've declined and declined and woke up one morning to the update installed from other versions, and I'm assuming this version will be no different.

MORANDCHI

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I used the bluetooth last night on my tablet and I will use the USB tethering today at work. So far it works without any issues

Chris

Wynnsman

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I did download the app. And my 7 is connected but when I click to use bluetooth for Internet it won't turn on. I have to be doing something wrong.

Posted via Android Central App

Akumaa

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I have 4.4 and when I try to use it with the tablet version, it gives me a error 23 and fails to connect. Is there a root for this 4.4 update yet?

I hate verizon sometimes

alf7624

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Droid Bionic running super slow, but havent wanted to lose mu unlimited Verizon data.

Im thinking of buying Moto X while the special is running for 330.00 No contract needed.

I use FoxFi all day long at work to power my Nexus 7. I know that 4.4 on the Moto X has killed FoxFi wifi.

Anyone know if this is possible-

Hook up a USB OTG cable to the Moto X, and a regular Micro USB cable to the Nexus 7. Connect the 2 cables, and then would I be able to use FoxFi/ PdaNet USB Tethering??? Can you USB tether from a micro to micro device with 4.4 Kit Kat????

I need a new phone bad, but I dont want to lose my free tethering.

And btw, i have tried many times to use the Blue Tooth tether option from my Bionic to Nexus 7. They both always show to connect to each other, but when I try to use the internet on the Nexus7 it shows Im offline, and no data is working.

Bohanna1

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
FYI folks I don't know if this is the correct forum but I have the note 2 and last spring/summer I was using Pdanet through the usb tether and getting great speeds. The system last update from sprint to 4.3 disabled it so it trys to connect and just hangs. Same thing with foxfi says you have to subscribe Blah Blah Blah. I can still tether through bluetooth but it is much slower. Looks like people are getting wise to the real reasons for the system upgrades. Seems like the Carriers are getting sneaky while trying to make rooting a capitol offense!- If ANYONE has any luck with making these two options work again it might be nice to let the rest of us know how they did it!1 Bohanna

green27614

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Here's the GOOD NEWS if you are with Verizon. Right NOW, if you have the grandfathered unlimited data package Verizon will give you 6GB for the same price as 2 GB.
that is the plan I went for as I can always go down but I cant go up for the same price.
thats the good news.

I too am one of the stupid people that bought an HTC One. all i can say...the stock ROM is a HUGE POS. Limited configurability etc...

I am going to take this thing back...MAybe they will let me exchange it for one that still have 4.2 on it and I can root it.

Additionally what PISSES me off royally about this phone...you can go direct to the manufacturer and buy the friggin thing for $100-$200 LESS than Verizon sells it for...and here's the KICKER........ITS UNLOCKED from the factory...WTF?>?!! REally? go look for yourself...http://www.htcdev.com/

Another thing...regardless of whether or not you sign up for another 2 year contract ...if you buy your phone at Best Buy, you have 14 days to return and tear up the contract.

just things you outta know...If this crap keeps up with locking bootloaders (even though it is an FCC violation) I am going to Sprint. I have about had enough of Verizon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699