How do you play music/answer calls thru your car radio?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have an Alpine stereo that is Bluetooth capable and also accepts a USB cable, but I can't figure out how to play my music. Is there a special app I need to make it work? Also, I have a set-up where I can make phone calls through a mic that was installed with my stereo. Does it have to be on a certain station to hear the caller on by speakers? Any help on either question would be great!

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Your radio might have an "aux" or a "usb" mode that would recognize the cable plugged in. My personal experience from my wife's van is that we press the aux button on the car radio with the phone plugged in and we just start playing the music from your phone. The disclaimer is that the plug we use fits in your earphone Jack, so I'm not real sure about yours.

jpoutre

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I had a setup wired to my car radio which gives me a special hookup for iPhone, and AUX method. So I just plug the AUX (headphone like jack) to my phone and it outputs to stereo, works great for me.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Does your radio have an AUX button or similar setting? In my car (stock radio) I just connect via bluetooth, play whatever music app I want on my phone (local music, pandora, cloud) and hit AUX on my radio. Music plays and if a call comes in it rings through the speakers and I can pick up the call.

edgesalon

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a setup wired to my car radio which gives me a special hookup for iPhone, and AUX method. So I just plug the AUX (headphone like jack) to my phone and it outputs to stereo, works great for me.
this how I have mine setup. you can use bluetooth or Aux from your phone once the setup is set your phone calls will automaticly go through the radio. all you have to do touch answer on your phone, I have found better sound through Aux cable than bluetooth.

Last edited:

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My radio with connect to my phone via Bluetooth on both my phone and my music. When i'm playing music and a call comes in it switches over and i just hit the volume knob and bam i'm talking with whoever called

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
It depends on whether your stereo supports both bluetooth audio and phone or just phone. There are different bluetooth profiles, your stereo needs to support A2DP in order to play music thru bluetooth.

Scroll thru the inputs on your stereo, if you see "BT audio" or something then your stereo supports it. If not then you need to use the AUX cable.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
It depends on whether your stereo supports both bluetooth audio and phone or just phone. There are different bluetooth profiles, your stereo needs to support A2DP in order to play music thru bluetooth.

Scroll thru the inputs on your stereo, if you see "BT audio" or something then your stereo supports it. If not then you need to use the AUX cable.

Similarly since I can't comment on the stereo itself.. When you pair the phone to the stereo, look under your bluetooth settings at the device. You should see "Connect to phone audio" and / or "Connected to media audio" or something very similar.