Why do 4g phones use so much data?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Did you download your market apps over wifi or 4g? I have almost 3 hours of web use (work) a day, and that barely cracks a gig a month. YouTube is HD on ICS, but is it on Gingerbread I thought it was just high quality (48p)? What about music streaming? Pandora, google music? For real, sense for what ever people hate about it, is not gonna blow through your data like that.

What about a rouge app? You have to be doing something to go through that much data a day. I flash roms, and will download the rom, and all my market apps over 4g. My current setup only ate up 300 megs, with the rom.

Youtube mobile and web both stream in 720p now if the phone supports it. On mobile, HQ is replaced by HD logo on the screen if it's 720p on GB as well.

Slouis

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
i know im using 7-8gb of data a month since i got this phone, Pandora at work and netflix in bed so i can watch tv/movies and not disturb the lady. I think if i try, I can hit 10 this month

Never could have come close to this on my old pre-plus.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
i know im using 7-8gb of data a month since i got this phone, Pandora at work and netflix in bed so i can watch tv/movies and not disturb the lady. I think if i try, I can hit 10 this month

Never could have come close to this on my old pre-plus.

I couldn't afford this phone if unlimited 4g data plans got axed. I was under 10gb in Dec. & Jan. Netflix usage in Feb. cranked it up to 17gb. Mar. brought YouTube in 720p. I ended up w/ 24gb on the month. 4g + Data consumption, perusing HD content, is downright ridiculous.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought I would revive this old thread to ask if anyone else is noticing a problem with their data usage per the MyVerizon app?

I have been on 4g since 6-3 with absolutely NO WiFi. That is when my new billing cycle started. I have been playing several games (dice with buddies, words with friends, draw something...) Streaming Pandora and YouTube and even a little crackle. I have used my phone exclusivley for internet surfing and forum hopping.

Yet my Verizon app says I have only used 500+mb of data! Anyone else having this going on? I wonder if Verizon is screwing with the app to lull me into a false feeling of data usage so I give up my unlimited data....

I did unlock and root my phone a few weeks ago. Could I have done something that caused this?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I thought I would revive this old thread to ask if anyone else is noticing a problem with their data usage per the MyVerizon app?

I have been on 4g since 6-3 with absolutely NO WiFi. That is when my new billing cycle started. I have been playing several games (dice with buddies, words with friends, draw something...) Streaming Pandora and YouTube and even a little crackle. I have used my phone exclusivley for internet surfing and forum hopping.

Yet my Verizon app says I have only used 500+mb of data! Anyone else having this going on? I wonder if Verizon is screwing with the app to lull me into a false feeling of data usage so I give up my unlimited data....

I did unlock and root my phone a few weeks ago. Could I have done something that caused this?

I can do over a 1gb in 60-90mins. easy using Crackle, so IDK? Has it been updating with use along the way or has it been stuck on 500mb for awhile?

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It does update. I even cleared data and cache on the app but its still slowly creeping. I just don't get it????

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
It does update. I even cleared data and cache on the app but its still slowly creeping. I just don't get it????

Install the last ICS leak, then check "Usage" under settings and it will show exactly what is using data.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I guess all is working ok. I have attached a before and after screenshot of my data usage after streaming a movie off of crackle...

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe using Tapatalk uses less data than using the actual website forums??

--------------------------------------------------
There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

tjoebgen

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Please tell me if you'd rather I start a new thread instead of posting to this older, but appropriate one.

Here is my experience with 4G and how much more data it uses over 3G.

I got the Samsung GS3 when it first came to the US. I was already on Verizon with my Motorola Droid. When the GS3 came out, Verizon's new data plans had just started too. I did a ton of research and mapped out the data usage of all of our 4 phones and chose a plan that would cover us with a little room to spare but not too much that we were wasting money each month. I figure if we start going over a few months in a row, that I'll raise the plan.

At this point I had already read a number of threads on various sites complaining about 4G users noticing increased data usage, so I knew to keep an eye out for it. The first thing I noticed on the GS3 when using 4G is that there a lot of dead spots for a signal in my area (a major metropolitan area supposedly fully covered by 4G). I stream music from the internet while I drive and noticed that the signal was constantly dropping and the stream would have to rebuffer and start back up. I found an app that let me force my phone back to 3G and the problem cleared up instantly.

During the first year and a half of having this phone limited to 3G, the data usage on it had been very predictable. I've known in advance when we were going to go over the plan because of expected usage: traveling, home internet being down, etc. But, recently my phone was updated to 4.3 and everything went FUBAR. I finally have it back to some sense of normal, but one of the things that 4.3 did was to take away the ability to force off 4G. My data usage has almost tripled since.

Yes, there are people that believe (and apparently can't be convinced otherwise) that because you can get data faster that you will use more. I'm here to tell you that this is not the case for me. I NEVER watch videos of any kind on my phone -- I have computers and other media devices for that. I have ZERO games on my phone. I do not skype (etc.). I use my phone for text chat (free messaging on my plan) and seldom ever send images, reading books downloaded for kindle app, streaming music, map and gps on occassion, checking my google calendar, accessing documents on gdrive, and sometimes phone calls. All of these activities are used the same amount now as I have been for the past year and a half. I seldom browse the internet, again, I have computers for that -- 95% of my internet usage is streaming music. And the site that I get my music from was designed and written by me, so I know exactly how much data it is consuming. I offer 2 bandwidths: 40k and 192k, and I make my phone only pull from the 40k stream. I use to also display a web page on the phone showing the song titles coming up on the screen while streaming, but since being forced onto 4G I've only done that once or twice. So, I should be using less data than I was before, but instead my phone data usage, according to Verizon, has tripled.

I totally get why more data might be consumed by utilizing services that can provide higher quality if your phone can accept faster data. I totally get that some people might do more on their phone now because they can do so in the same amount of time it use to take. But I do not fall into either of those categories. Using 4G is definitely causing Verizon to show almost triple the amount of data I have always used.

I know that some of the data usage is another issue I've had with the 4.3 update. From time to time, I'll notice that the phone is NOT on WiFi when it should be. Luckily those times were when the phone was idle (not streaming or being used).

What I'm getting at here is this: Is anyone else noticing that their average use of their phone has caused an excessive increase in their data used as reported by their carrier? I've been all over the verizon forum, mac rumors forum, etc, looking to see if anyone has started a class-action against either google or their carriers about this. What I really want is to put my phone back down to 3G to save on my data plan, and to not have the constant dropping of signal as I drive. But, if I can't do that, I shouldn't be charged for triple the data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez