E-Mail Polling Woes Continue...frustration grows

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me, but this post is part rant, part plea for help. Many of us are aware of the problems with the stock e-mail client and Yahoo Mail. I too was having this problem where e-mails just would not come in automatically even though I had it set to "push". All this time, my exchange activesync worked like a charm. Push was really push! This wasn't too big of a problem for me since yahoo wasn't as important as my work e-mail. For some reason a few days ago, the behavior of exchange working and yahoo not working when it came to push, switched! Now my exchange doesn't push and yahoo does! I've tried recreating the exchange account on the phone and that didn't work. I guess I should try recreating the yahoo account to so that perhaps the "working" part will switch over to exchange. All-in-all very frustrating. I don't want to reset my phone unless I know for sure that will work. I really can't believe this is one of the ongoing problems for some of us here.

Don't get me wrong. I love this phone. But given what I've gone through this past week, it has dropped a bit from the high pedestal I had it on.

I am rooted, but still running the stock rom and just have some bloatware fozen.

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me, but this post is part rant, part plea for help. Many of us are aware of the problems with the stock e-mail client and Yahoo Mail. I too was having this problem where e-mails just would not come in automatically even though I had it set to "push". All this time, my exchange activesync worked like a charm. Push was really push! This wasn't too big of a problem for me since yahoo wasn't as important as my work e-mail. For some reason a few days ago, the behavior of exchange working and yahoo not working when it came to push, switched! Now my exchange doesn't push and yahoo does! I've tried recreating the exchange account on the phone and that didn't work. I guess I should try recreating the yahoo account to so that perhaps the "working" part will switch over to exchange. All-in-all very frustrating. I don't want to reset my phone unless I know for sure that will work. I really can't believe this is one of the ongoing problems for some of us here.

Don't get me wrong. I love this phone. But given what I've gone through this past week, it has dropped a bit from the high pedestal I had it on.

I am rooted, but still running the stock rom and just have some bloatware fozen.

Get K-9 and be done with it. Works perfect on my unrooted phone.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I agree. Get a third party app that puts all your email in one spot, and works, and offers you some features.

I tried k9 with the Inc but Maildroid always fit me better.

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback guys. So if you are ditching the stock e-mail client, are you able to change the mail launcher on the lock screen to point to your new client? Or do you basically have a useless icon on the lock screen now? I haven't seen where you can change that unless you go with a different ROM. I still think it's absurd that HTC/Android can't get this right. I hope this is fixed in ICS.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback guys. So if you are ditching the stock e-mail client, are you able to change the mail launcher on the lock screen to point to your new client? Or do you basically have a useless icon on the lock screen now? I haven't seen where you can change that unless you go with a different ROM. I still think it's absurd that HTC/Android can't get this right. I hope this is fixed in ICS.

Go to settings> personalize> display(at bottom)> lockscreen shortcuts. It's self explanatory from there.

Yeah it's ridiculous that stock items don't work. Most Rezound owners wouldn't use the stock music player if beats worked on any other player. For as long as I've been on android it seems very few people stay with the stock apps, email, music, texting, pdf reader. Ask anyone to name three stock apps they use, and I'd guess they can't. Ask someone to name three market apps they've used to replace a stock app and I'd guess they could name five or six.

Oh and don't count on anything being fixed or resolved just because an updated version is coming out. The stock apps I named have been being replaced for better ones since before eclaire.

Last edited:

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm actually having some trouble with my push emails not pushing on K-9. K-9 on my Dinc works perfectly, but on the Rezound sometimes they don't show up until I go into the app and it polls. The settings in K-9 for both phones are the same. :(

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually having some trouble with my push emails not pushing on K-9. K-9 on my Dinc works perfectly, but on the Rezound sometimes they don't show up until I go into the app and it polls. The settings in K-9 for both phones are the same. :(

No problem on my rezound. Try reinstalling the app and make sure you don't have any task killers shutting it down.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
No problem on my rezound. Try reinstalling the app and make sure you don't have any task killers shutting it down.

Have either of you used Handcent? Just wondering what differences there are? Like I said I tried k9 when I got my first android but both have probably changed a lot, but what does k9 do for you that it's your go to app?

Edit: I suppose the one big difference is one is a messaging app the other email. It was supposed to be Maildroid.

Last edited:

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried K-9 just now, but don't like that I can't pinch to make emails fit the screen. So I uninstalled that one. I do like Enhanced E-mail a bit better, but have had issue with notifications on that one as well. I must be one of the few that really likes using the stock apps. Call me a sucker, but that's what I like to use.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried K-9 just now, but don't like that I can't pinch to make emails fit the screen. So I uninstalled that one.

Have I been saying Handcent instead of Maildroid? I'm a goof. Maildroid in place of all those Handcents. Sorry. Maildroid opens everything at a readable size and crops or to fit your orientation. Plus it offers a combined mailbox that shows all of your emails in order regardless of the account. It has settings to delete both online and on the phone by deleting once.
For me the biggest flaw with it is the inability to auto import yahoo mail and road runner mail. The directions for how to manually do it are all over the web yet they seem unable or willing to make it simple. ??? You can still have them you just have to enter the info.

I'm still trying to get over my large faux pas. If it was one post that's be one thing but multiple posts just makes me look silly. Face palm.

grumpyjoe

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
I have tried both K-9 and Maildroid. It's been awhile but I am using maildroid now so I guess I liked it better. I think K-9 used a lot of battery. I have 4 emails and have no trouble getting Yahoo or any other.

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I installed Maildroid based on the recommendations in this thread and I like it. The navigation of settings is a bit confusing at first, but so far so good. I'll stick with the free version for a while to make sure it's stable and keeps working before I shell out $18 for the pro version. While I like the choices we get with Android, it still pains me to pay for things because what's delivered, which I basically paid for already, doesn't work. Thanks for all the help guys.