batteries not taking a charge

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

The past 2-3 days I'm having a problem with my TBolt batteries not taking a charge. For example, when I went to work tonight it had about a half a charge. I plugged it in for like 3 hours and had no more of a charge afterward than I did when I first plugged it in.

I find the same problem occurring when I plug it in the bedroom to charge while I sleep. I get up 6-7 hours later and it hasn't charged or it's nearly dead. I have several different batteries and charging plugs so this is not one battery on the same plug that's having the problem. When I plug it in, I make sure it displays the charging icon with the little white "bolt" through it. Sometimes I have to plug it in/out several times for this icon to show charging. This is even happening with the charger that came w/the phone.

I use several batteries because I got sick and tired of having to plug in my phone all the time so instead of plugging, I will quite often just swap out the batteries which seem to charge fine in the wall chargers I have.

Ideas? Suggestions? Fixes?

Thanks.
Deb

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It could be one of a few things. Firstly, it might be a bum USB Charging port, which if thats the case, its time to send it in, and get it fixed or get a new phone. The second option is that there is a rogue app or group of apps that are running in the background that are actually eating your charge faster than the wall chargers can charge your phone. There are a few apps out there like WatchDog that can monitor for apps like this, I know there are a bunch more on both the Amazon and Android Markets.

I am guessing more than likely it is the first option, the charging icon may come up, even though the USB is not accepting a full charge, which is kind of suck.

Best of Luck!

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I will go look for Watchdog in the Market. When I look at the settings that tell me what's using my battery, the screen is always the Top Dog there. Will Watchdog work any differently than this setting thing? I will check settings again, too. Thank you for your help.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You can also install the Battery Monitor app/widget from the market which you can use to tell if your battery is taking a charge because it tells you how many MaH are currently being used by the phone. When unplugged the number is in the red (negative) but when plugged in that number turns to a green number indicating it is taking on more of a charge than it is using.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have learned a lot from the Battery Monitor Widget.

This bit isn't likely to help because you say it happens with multiple chargers, but.....
I use my Thunderbolt on my motorcycle as a GPS. The charger that I use trends to stop charging often. I replace the cable and all is well again. I have found that I must be bending the connector when I unplug it. It spreads the connector slightly and no longer makes a good connection. When this happens, the charge light will come on, but the widget shows no charge current. I have learned that if I take some smooth jawed pliers and slightly squeeze the cable connector, (try to make it thinner), it corrects it until the next time I bent it. My home and work cables have never needed this.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Worwig has a good point. OP, you say you are using multiple chargers but are you using a different cable for each one or just using the same cable with multuple USB type wall units? If so, you might want to try a new cable as well.