Loss of data with hotspot?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I never lose data with my phone when using it straight up. However, when using the 4G hotspot, it will randomly begin losing its data signal constantly. I have data set to allow roaming, never deactivate hotspot, etc. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

Running the official and recalled Gingerbread

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Have no idea why that would be any differrent than normal use. That never happens to me. And I use the hotspot daily. Multiple times on most days.

-Frank

Puterguru

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I never lose data with my phone when using it straight up. However, when using the 4G hotspot, it will randomly begin losing its data signal constantly. I have data set to allow roaming, never deactivate hotspot, etc. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

Running the official and recalled Gingerbread

Mine has always done this (before I lost 4G after upgrading to GB but that's a different story). Anyways, to fix it. I have to turn on 4G hotspot, then do a restart, then it will stay on.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine has always done this (before I lost 4G after upgrading to GB but that's a different story). Anyways, to fix it. I have to turn on 4G hotspot, then do a restart, then it will stay on.

I'm confused to a point. Did you lose data or did the hotspot turn off? I keep having my data enable and disable back to back in spurts. My hotspot stays on, but the 4G and/or 3G messes up. In the same area, it doesn't do this when hotspot is disabled.

I can watch Netflix without interuptions since its so random. But when surfing the web, all on my Xoom, I will get hanging load times and even time outs.

Puterguru

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused to a point. Did you lose data or did the hotspot turn off? I keep having my data enable and disable back to back in spurts. My hotspot stays on, but the 4G and/or 3G messes up. In the same area, it doesn't do this when hotspot is disabled.

I can watch Netflix without interuptions since its so random. But when surfing the web, all on my Xoom, I will get hanging load times and even time outs.

No the hotspot stays on, I just lose data. Turning the hotspot on and then restarting the phone has always seemed to work for me. I also use a program called "phone info" to make certain it is set to LTE only first.

Reactions: Eclipse2K

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No the hotspot stays on, I just lose data. Turning the hotspot on and then restarting the phone has always seemed to work for me. I also use a program called "phone info" to make certain it is set to LTE only first.

I will try that tonight and see if I get positive results.

Thanks again.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe that could be a problem. Try setting it to both 3G and 4G, reboot, and then try the MHS and see if it behaves the same way. Let the phone and MHS decide when/if to change. Mine will occasionally switch from 4G to 3G and back while in MHS mode without any real issues other than the few seconds during the switch.

-Frank

Puterguru

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe that could be a problem. Try setting it to both 3G and 4G, reboot, and then try the MHS and see if it behaves the same way. Let the phone and MHS decide when/if to change. Mine will occasionally switch from 4G to 3G and back while in MHS mode without any real issues other than the few seconds during the switch.

-Frank
It's the opposite in my case. My data would drop with it set to 3G/4G setting it to LTE only and doing a restart seems to fix it for me. YMMV of course.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's the opposite in my case. My data would drop with it set to 3G/4G setting it to LTE only and doing a restart seems to fix it for me. YMMV of course.

That's why I need to try your method. I have mine set to CDMA/4G and data drops only while in mobile hotspot.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm having this same problem. My MHS used to be solid as a rock. Now, it's flaky as heck. And when I lose data connectivity, the weird thing is that I can still surf just fine on the phone itself. It's just the devices (one of my tablets or my laptop) that loses the connection.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, my phone is rooted, so I installed Wireless Tether from the Market right after my last post and have had my laptop tethered to it and been non-stop surfing since then (45+ minutes?) without a hiccup. That is SIGNIFICANTLY better than what I've had for a while now with the VZW MHS app. The other night I was in downtown San Francisco. Full bars of signal with 4G. I had to try to download the iOS 5 update - for an iPad I was evaluating - about 6 times before the connection lasted long enough for the whole thing to come down.

Just FYI.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Update: I continued surfing last night while tethered via Wireless Tether and did not have a single hiccup.

I've been working (online) for several hours this morning, tethered via Wireless Tether. I even downloaded the 320MB SQL Server Service Pack 4. All still without a hiccup.

I reckon there's something wrong with Verizon's Mobile HotSpot app....

Wireless Tether requires rooting your phone, which I had already done, but Wireless Tether makes it totally worth the trouble, if you need to tether through your phone. I am paying VZW for tethering, but the MHS app has just been unbelievably flaky for the last month.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There is definitely an issue with the MHS application. I have been losing my data signal more than 30 times an hour. I decided to use my phone while connected to 4G for an hour and never lost data once. After that, I tried MHS again and kept losing data. This is frustrating and inexcusable.

I have tried using both bands, just CDMA and just 4G. All fail.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
There is definitely an issue with the MHS application. I have been losing my data signal more than 30 times an hour. I decided to use my phone while connected to 4G for an hour and never lost data once. After that, I tried MHS again and kept losing data. This is frustrating and inexcusable.

I have tried using both bands, just CDMA and just 4G. All fail.

You have the MHS data plan? You might want to call VZW and make sure your MHS plan is configured right on their end. Mine just keeps working without issue. And we must have the same MHS app?

Are you running the OTA GB? Or the RUU? What radios, if the RUU?

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You have the MHS data plan? You might want to call VZW and make sure your MHS plan is configured right on their end. Mine just keeps working without issue. And we must have the same MHS app?

-Frank

I believe we do.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I believe we do.

Also, (sorry, I keep thinking of more things :) ) have you checked this out with different wireless computers? The TBolt is nothing but a wireless router, and in my experience a number of wireless routers have compatibility issues with a number of wireless adapters. Happens to me all the time in my job. Specifically, regarding the channel and/or encryption protocol. I'd try changing to another computer and testing and/or changing the encryption and testing. Possibly even turning encryption off for a test. Rather than "losing cellular data" you may be losing your IP. It's just frustrating that some (mine!) work so well and yours doesn't. I know you feel the same way. :)

Also, in the past, in a life long ago, I have seen where a hacked connection into the VZW Broadband network would connect and work for a few mintes and drop. Over and over again. Be sure about your plan's MHS subscription.

-Frank

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'll try my laptop soon as I have only used my Xoom. I called Verizon and had the feature removed and added again so we will see. I am using WPA TKIP security on the hotspot. How about you?

Just a note, my data signal drops and becomes unusable at all when gone. That includes the phone. :(

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll try my laptop soon as I have only used my Xoom. I called Verizon and had the feature removed and added again so we will see. I am using WPA TKIP security on the hotspot. How about you?

Just a note, my data signal drops and becomes unusable at all when gone. That includes the phone. :(

I'm using WPA2 (AES).

-Frank

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm using WPA2 (AES).

-Frank

I had Verizon add the feature back so we will see how it works tonight. I have also changed my security setting to WPA2 since its what I use at home on my router. No idea why I set it up differently, but your post made me try it.

Thanks for all of the help. Let's hope this works.