Left Thunderbolt for the Apple orchard

sp44

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have had both and the reason I go back to the iPhone4 is battery life and stability. I can go a whole day on the iPhone without worrying about battery life. I'm in a 4G area and why use 3G? I can also put it in my shorts (not cargo shorts) without my pants falling down from the weight of the phone. Anything without a belt won't work. Unstable is just the nature of the beast. You customize it so much that it becomes unstable. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich will help with battery life and stability. That being said I hate iTunes but I'll live with it.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI everyone the 4S is the 5th generation Iphone... the Iphone 4 was the 4th gen Iphone... however previous Iphones were not numbered the same way: Iphone, Iphone 3g, Iphone 3GS, Iphone 4, Iphone 4S. so the next Iphone that comes out might be called Iphone 4GS or Iphone 6... The 5th Iphone is the 4S.

You know they won't call it "iPhone 6"...because people will be saying "Where's the iPhone 5?". Also, if they do call it "6", people will scratch there head and say "was 5 that bad they just skipped over it?"

It is all about the marketing and naming.

What sounds cooler......HTC EVO or HTC Thunderbolt?...same phone (mostly). TO me "EVO" sounds like it is something evolving (duh) and Thunderbolt says "POWER, STRENGTH". Same thing as "Pepsi MAX" and "Coke Zero".....take the Diet out, and you sell more!

My 2 cents!

kylep23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Apple is nice for 16 year old girls. They invent icloud which revolutionizes everything. It's a cloud that you have to plug your phone in to sync. Awesome right?
Dual core processor. Wow.
New 8 mp camera. Holy crap.
Android style notifications. Been there.
Works with itunes, still not finding the benefit. All my music is on the amazon cloud and takes up no space on the phone (30 gigs)
Imessage. Hahahahaha. I will take gtalk anyday over that and facetime.

For what it's worth. I am typing this on my ipad. I have an imac and an apple tv. I understand the appeal of their products. I just dont think the iphone is a better product, definetly not for those who are tech saavy. I use google mail, calendar, contacts, voicemail, docs for everything in my business. It's nice to sign in and be done. The TBolt has so many sweet roms and support now, why you wouldn't root is beyond me, i guess it's just beyond you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: thunderbolt_nick

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Apple For what it's worth. I am typing this on my ipad. I have an imac and an apple tv. I understand the appeal of their products. I just dont think the iphone is a better product, definetly not for those who are tech saavy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOLOLOL....finally a APPLE person telling the truth. I am wanting an iPAD....once I get the $$$, I probably will.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Apple does make great products, they're well designed and function well for what they do. However Apple wants you to do what they want you to do, you can't go off the norm. They're old 'think different' campaign is now useless because they won't let you. I do have a Macbook pro, so I use their stuff but I got the 4s this weekend, returned it last night. It's a garbage OS, trying to use it for anything seems clunky and don't even get me started on syncing files to it, iTunes is the bloody devil!

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
iTunes is the bloody devil!

I do like iTunes to organize my playlists. I then use Double Twist to import them into my TBolt....works like a charm. I then use "Cover Art Downloader" to download the album covers. I do also use iTunes to burn CD's (yes, I still use CD's because I don't have a 1/8" input on my stereo), because it gets rid of the gaps in between songs.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I download a lot of music, so the file names are generally all sorts of messed up. I use iTunes ONLY because it's the only software that automatically sorts the files and renames them based of their tags that I know of. Otherwise I use DoubleTwist to sync up my music.

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I think one of the major limiting factors of the iPhone and 4G is the battery. While it is great on 3g, I doubt it would be even close to as good on 4g. Without the ability to replace it with a much larger battery if necessary I am interested to see what the 4G iPhone has to offer.

I work with an iPhone 4 and my T-Bolt daily and I actually hooked my tbolt up to our exchange server so I can use it exclusively except for conference calls. The iPhone is slow and unresponsive as compared to my thunderbolt and I can't stand being forced to do things one way. A minor but major gripe is being able to send pictures to different applications and places via the picture isntead of having to open each individual application. Just bothers me.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
A minor but major gripe is being able to send pictures to different applications and places via the picture isntead of having to open each individual application. Just bothers me.

I actually got the 4s this weekend, returned it Tuesday because I wanted battery life. And this ALONE was a major reason why I returned it, that and getting anything done on it was a giant pain in the ass.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I download a lot of music, so the file names are generally all sorts of messed up. I use iTunes ONLY because it's the only software that automatically sorts the files and renames them based of their tags that I know of. Otherwise I use DoubleTwist to sync up my music.

Back when I used Windows, I found WinAmp to be very good at this. I don't download any music, but when I rip CDs sometimes I find the CDDB tags I got are flawed, or the album art didn't embed properly. They have an autotagger that uses CDDB to correct track information, then it can rename the tracks based on the corrected tags. Obviously, you can skip the tag correction if you know they are all good.

I'm sure there are a bunch of standalone freeware apps capable of it too. There are TONS of applications on Linux to do this.

JHock08

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't blame ya. I've had numerous problems wit HTC and can't stand that Verizon just says "well we can get you a replacement (even though the still sucks)."

I like the capabilities of the Thunderbolt but the support just isn't there, neither from HTC, partly cuz they release a new phone every other week, and part because Verizon Iron Fist.

Good luck to you. I have to say, I love Android but I wish Google would be a tad more strict on their consistency with manufacturers.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I like the capabilities of the Thunderbolt but the support just isn't there
I know there are a lot of ways to measure "support". But if you look at the TBolt maintenance releases you'll find three maintenance releases in 6 months (MR1, MR2 and MR3GB). That averages one every other month. MR4GB about to be re-released again. Really, I doubt there's another phone on the planet with that much maintenance release "support". Personally, I'm happy that HTC/VZW are working for us. We'd all like it sooner, but their track record so far is quite good compared to other phones.

-Frank

JHock08

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I know there are a lot of ways to measure "support". But if you look at the TBolt maintenance releases you'll find three maintenance releases in 6 months (MR1, MR2 and MR3GB). That averages one every other month. MR4GB about to be re-released again. Really, I doubt there's another phone on the planet with that much maintenance release "support". Personally, I'm happy that HTC/VZW are working for us. We'd all like it sooner, but their track record so far is quite good compared to other phones.

-Frank

Fair enough Frank. I agree with your statements. All I'm saying is I waited for the gingerbread update because everyone at Verizon told me it should fix many of the bugs I was experiencing specifically the random restarting which happen to me 5 times yesterday (No Joke!) and, for me, it hasn't helped. I previously had a Droid X before this and it didn't come with as many problems. But like I said, I like the phone and what it can do just not the problems mine has come with. Maybe I have a bad one.

Furthermore, I shouldn't have to root my phone just to escape some bugs.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, its been fun everyone. I have left the Thunderbolt for the iPhone 4s.

While I will miss the 4G capabilities, the truth is that I didn't get to use them often enough to make it worth it. When I first got the TBolt I checked the map and it said I was just covered by 4G coverage, barely. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case at all. The only times I have been able to take advantage of the 4G was when I went to my local mall, and sometimes at work (although at work it mist have been a fringe 4G signal because it kept going from 4G to 3G to 1X, draining my battery quickly). Most places I'm at now are 3G only, and it'll probably stay that way until 2013 or later. I think Apple was onto something when they said the technology just isn't quite there yet.

I'll also miss the bigger screen...I guess. I mean it was nice and all, but the iPhone's screen is pretty nice too. I'm used to it since I've been using my iPod touch for a long time.

And I guess I'll miss talking and surfing at the same time. I was so happy for that feature...and then I ended up only doing it once, and even then it wasn't that great because the data was super slow.

What I won't miss is carrying around a behemoth phone with its extra battery, and even with the extra battery it ate power like crazy! The iPhone has just enough widgets where I won't miss the extra widgets from Android. Also, I won't miss Android itself; I just wasn't that impressed, and I've had an Android device since the Droid2. I'm just tired of Google and the manufacturer's and then Verizon having to all come together just to get an update out that works - they just can't do it. And I don't want to have to root my phone just to get something that works with as little bugs as possible. Besides, its just a matter of time before Apple steals all that is good about Android and improves on it anyway. :p

I'll miss the community, especially all the time we spent waiting for Gingerbread...and still waiting....I'm willing to bet if I had a plain Google device, I might have stayed longer. But right now, I only need to carry 1 device instead of the 2-3 I needed before, and there is no waiting for the next update while Verizon and HTC and Google act like the 3 Stooges and try to get something that MIGHT work correctly.

Cya guys, its been fun.

Just because you switched phones doesn't mean you can't come chill on the forums.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk

zman3001

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Ios now comes with widgets?

Yep, weather and stocks for starters, and I think they said they'd open up the source code for others to create widgets.

"Just because you switched phones doesn't mean you can't come chill on the forums."

Oh I'll still be around. I gave my mom the TBolt because she likes the bigger screen and is kinda ok with Android (just the basics though, she'd probably do much better with an iPhone but she wanted my old phone). So i'll keep up with any updates I guess.

Still loving the iPhone. No battery issues or any other issues. No dropping signal, call quality is even better than TBolt in my opinion. And it doesn't feel like a brick in my pocket - in fact it fits in my pocket; the TBolt I had to wear on my hip to carry it around.

allaboutnewphone

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I am also thinking about switching from the TB to the Iphone 4s, But I have a feeling I will miss android. Anyways my question is when you switched were you able to still keep your unlimited data plan? And how is the Iphone working for you? I like using the app go sms on android does the Iphone have a similar app? And will I be able to change keyboard on the Iphone?

zman3001

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am also thinking about switching from the TB to the Iphone 4s, But I have a feeling I will miss android. Anyways my question is when you switched were you able to still keep your unlimited data plan? And how is the Iphone working for you? I like using the app go sms on android does the Iphone have a similar app? And will I be able to change keyboard on the Iphone?

I was able to keep unlimited data. Good thing too, I find myself downloading a lot more stuff!

iPhone is working great. There are other texting apps that use data, but I find that the built in text app works great, and that most of the texting apps on Android like GoSMS try to emulate the iPhone texting experience. But if/when you get your iPhone, give the stock texting app a go for a day, I think you'll find yourself very comfortable.

As for the keyboard, you won't be able to change that unless you jailbreak. Again, I think the stock keyboard is great as it is (though I will admit, I do kinda miss Swype...kinda). With the 4s, you do get the Siri microphone button so you can talk what you want to say in any app, kinda like the Google experience. I have found that it works great.

If your focus with Android was customizing every little thing, you will miss it. But if you only customized a few things here and there, the benefits of switching to the iPhone outweigh the customization options in my opinion.

You have to remember, all of the companies are stealing ideas from each other all the time. Apple from Android, Android from Apple, Android from Windows Mobile. So, chances are that if you miss a feature now, it may come up in a competing device soon. That's why I keep coming here; its nice to be able to discuss what my experience was with Android and is now with iOS, and things that can be improved on both platforms. To me, iOS is better for me because it does what I want it to do and nothing more, and it just seems more stable. Ice Cream Sandwich may get closer to that, but its the stupid crap like the "facial recognition unlock" that turns me off to Android - it didn't even work right during the product demo. To me, there is a certain point where you can innovate and have it be helpful to the user, and if you go beyond that point, you over-complicate things and then the device doesn't work and you have a dissatisfied user. To some, over-complication isn't a problem because they tinker. I used to tinker, both with Android and iOS with my iPod touch, and it got old really fast. If Steve Jobs left any impression on this world, its that things should just work out of the box for the user in a great and easy way, and if you want to tinker, then go from there. One shouldn't have to tinker to make the device work just right. *off soapbox*