Is it my problem or Verizon/HTC

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's my dilemma.. My mom accidentally put my brand new phone through the wash the other day. I immediately took the battery out and put it in a bowl of rice for 3 days. When i took it out you could not even tell anything happened, it turned on right away no problems, everything still worked flawlessly and seemed to be fine. so i acted as if nothing happened and when the battery got low i put it on a non stock charger and continued using it at the same time. then out of no where it shut off and wouldnt turn on. I let it sit over night off the charger. woke up, tried to charge it and nothing happened. I was impatient cuz i wanted to use my brand new phone, so i went and bought a new battery and it turned on right away and worked perfectly. I continued using it like normal and the battery started running low. i connected my charger and continued using it.. the first time it died i was playing a game and the second time I was watching a video on youtube when it shut off on me again. besides these two occurrences the phone is amazing, fast, and beautiful. Since it isnt a htc charger and other people who havent gotten it wet has had the same issues; I want to believe, and hope, either the charger just isnt strong enough to keep up or htc needs to fix what seems to be a big problem.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Here's my dilemma.. My mom accidentally put my brand new phone through the wash the other day. I immediately took the battery out and put it in a bowl of rice for 3 days. When i took it out you could not even tell anything happened, it turned on right away no problems, everything still worked flawlessly and seemed to be fine. so i acted as if nothing happened and when the battery got low i put it on a non stock charger and continued using it at the same time. then out of no where it shut off and wouldnt turn on. I let it sit over night off the charger. woke up, tried to charge it and nothing happened. I was impatient cuz i wanted to use my brand new phone, so i went and bought a new battery and it turned on right away and worked perfectly. I continued using it like normal and the battery started running low. i connected my charger and continued using it.. the first time it died i was playing a game and the second time I was watching a video on youtube when it shut off on me again. besides these two occurrences the phone is amazing, fast, and beautiful. Since it isnt a htc charger and other people who havent gotten it wet has had the same issues; I want to believe, and hope, either the charger just isnt strong enough to keep up or htc needs to fix what seems to be a big problem.

What happened to the charger that came with it + the cable?. My daughters cable is trashed (she has a TBolt also) and even though it shows it charging, it doesn't. She burns through her battery quickly because it isn't fully charged. I have the dock so she can charge her phone

I would stay away from OEM crap for cellphones. I learned the hard way. I bought an aftermarket extended battery and cover....killed my signal. My daughter has used it on her phone and same thing. I put my stock battery back in.....no problem.

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
well to put another long short my mom had the TB misplaced that one along with the charger.. got a new one..found the old one..accidentally washes the new one..activates the old one.. and since i was still rockin the orginal Droid.. she said i could have the new one if it still worked. lol. the charger iv been using doesnt even have a name on it or a recognizable company symbol

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site

The first part of your situation puts the blame for anything else after it on you. Not being a jerk. Just telling the truth. No matter what you tell them, it'll be your fault. And the liquid indicators will support them, not you. The aftermarket stuff wouldn't be able to be known without you telling them but that's besides the point.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
This is a well learned lesson. You need to watch where you put your phone. And you really can't blame anyone other than yourself for being careless. It isn't Verizon's fault. Insurance will cover it if you have it. And using aftermarket accessories is not a good idea. With the retail value being costly for a phone using medicore products isn't a smart choice. You wouldn't drive on cheap tires would you?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Electronics and water do not mix. Even after drying things out, there is very likely to be corrosion on the circuitry. Nothing you can do but replace the device.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
It is your problem now, not verizons.
But, you make it sound like you really just need the proper charger.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Go buy a new HTC battery charger and give that a go with the new battery. If it doesn't work then at least you know it wasn't the battery.

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
well see earlier today I actually got it turned on by cutting the end of a usb cable plugging it into my computer and matching the other end with the positive and negative cords to onto the battery itself. I couldnt believe it actually worked myself but im not sure if i will have to continue to keep doing this or not.. what does this mean though?!?!?!?!? im so confuseddd

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Among other things, I think this means you might soon have a fried computer.

On the phone side of things, this suggest several possibilities, but one that may be easy to verify is that your battery contacts in the phone are corroded. Try cleaning them off. Perhaps you can rubbing them with a pencil eraser. Just be careful that, whatever cleaning agent you use, you don't leave loose particles in your phone.

Another possibility is that the charging circuits in your phone are damaged. I have no easy solution to offer for this possibility.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
As I previously mentioned, water and electronics don't mix. Corrosion on internal components will slowly increase causing more and more problems. There is really nothing you can do but replace the device. Also, please be careful as it can get dangerous connecting wires to things between devices. You'll either fry the other device too or risk shorting out the phone's battery which could rapidly heat up and burst. I understand you want to try something to make the device work, but it's a losing battle. Best to accept the consequences of what happened and move on.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
well see earlier today I actually got it turned on by cutting the end of a usb cable plugging it into my computer and matching the other end with the positive and negative cords to onto the battery itself. I couldnt believe it actually worked myself but im not sure if i will have to continue to keep doing this or not.. what does this mean though?!?!?!?!? im so confuseddd

Are you saying that you connected the bare USB wires directly to the battery itself?
If you are, PLEASE STOP.
The USB out is 5 volts. The LiIon battery should never be charger over 4.2 to 4.3 volts. when yo go higher, you will shorten the battery life. This I don't care about. MAINLY, you are risking a violent FIRE by overcharging the battery. If you see the battery swell in the least, dispose of it away from the house right away.

Hopefully you aren't serious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699