community's input

all4dom

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, looking for some advice. I am an HTC thunderbolt owner with a Verizon family plan that includes 2 iphones.....wife & cousin. I am on my third th & was given an upgrade last year by Verizon. With the news of unlimited data going bye bye, should I stay or move the plan? I need to replace my th, but do jot really like the phones out now. I may stay with HTC because I love the sense ui, but was also hoping for a win 8 lte phone. I am a power user so unlimited is very important too me. I was thinking of just replacing my phone with the insurance & not renewing the contract because the second generation lte phones will not be out til next year I think. Sprint is the only one with unlimited data, but ruts lte is not up yet & I heard that there network is slow. For me, 4g has been good. I'm just not sure what to do.
Thanks for your input.
Dom

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you would be best to sit tight and get a replacement Thunderbolt since you stated that you don't really like any other phones. Also, Verizon has said they will announce the upcoming data plan changes well in advance to give us time to evaluate our options. Until they do, at this point all we know for certain is that they plan to introduce shared data plans (no specifics yet) and drop grandfathered unlimited data ONLY when you get a new subsidized phone.

all4dom

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Well if I upgrade now I am good, but I don't like what is out there. I did hear that people who replaced their th got a rezound. I think my average data use is about 4 tb.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
For what it's worth, it probably doesn't matter how important unlimited data is "to you". It's soon to be ancient relic of the past.

Yeah, I know other providers still have "unlimited" data plans, but I honestly doubt they'll last very long either. For me, there's no way I'd switch to over to Sprint (which has less than optimal coverage in my area) just for the data plan alone.

Granted, I don't use so much data that this is really of that much concern to me, but I wouldn't sacrifice service to get on Sprint's unlimited plan.

I do agree though, there are no phones on Verizon right now that make me think "I've got to trade my Thunderbolt for that!". If my Tbolt were to stop working, I'd probably activate an old phone or find some way to keep myself connected until something nicer came out. (Incredible 3?)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Well if I upgrade now I am good, but I don't like what is out there. I did hear that people who replaced their th got a rezound. I think my average data use is about 4 tb.

4 GBs is the current first-tier data offering (2GB/month + 2GB free promotion). That promotion may end soon(?).

To go along with what I said in my earlier post, if I were using an average of < 4GB/month, there's no way I'd switch networks to get Sprint's crappy service* (what good is "unlimited data if you can't use it?).

You said you're on a shared plan as well, and I'm pretty sure the new tiered data plans will allow you to "pool" data for all users on the plan...unless everyone else on the plan is also "power user", you may be OK.

*Sprint may be a fine choice in some areas, but I know from experience that there are just way too many dead zones on their network where I live.

all4dom

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
No my wife & cousin may each use 1 gig a month if that. My wife is mostly on wifi since she is a stay at home mom.
This is my third tb from Verizon & I still have issues & I was also just thinking of replacing this through asurion, but not sure.

baztekdroid

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I just had my 5th tb replaced due to a broken screen this time and it went through asurion. They were easy to work with and I received my remanufactured replacement the next day. Unfortunately it had the problem with the power button being basically flush with the top of the phone making turning the phone off and on difficult. I called them back that evening and I am currently typing this reply on my brand new perfectly operating tb. I was impressed by their customer service. So needless to say I will be sticking with my tb until vzw gets us a phone worthy of replacing it. the pho.e had a rough start but it is totally solid now.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have heard we can keep unlimited if we pay full retail for a phone. My TB is flawless. Happy with it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I assume you mean 4gb not tb. 4 terabits on a phone per month would be amazing!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using tapatalk

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
If you buy a phone at full price you can keep unlimited data, it's only when you extend your contract that you would loose it

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have heard we can keep unlimited if we pay full retail for a phone. My TB is flawless. Happy with it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

You may want to watch ebay or other online sellers for a backup used one.

Mine is rooted I would love a stock model for backup. It's just hard to find a used or even refurbished TB in decent condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik