Who will be dropping VZW after their plan ends?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I really hope all y'all stay with Verizon honestly! The less people on Sprint network the better for us prepaid folks!

Virgin Mobile, that's $45/month for 1000 minutes and 2.5GB data. Idk about coverage areas, I never been with VZW so I must not know what I'm missing ha.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I think if the network gets busy we get dropped. 4-6 o'clock my data alwaya slows down so I'm not clogging on my end lol!

But don't let me jack the thread :)

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
for those of you (including me) thinking of jumping ship, here's something to chew on, which I have suspected all along. note the date of this article is from last year:

Sprint's Unlimited Data Smartphone Plan Expected to End Soon | PCWorld

after doing some hard math, I'm realizing that for my dollar, it's best to stay with Big Red. I'm sure everyone has different situations, (like 3-4 kids with smartphones, and/or tablets) but this works best for me.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
for those of you (including me) thinking of jumping ship, here's something to chew on, which I have suspected all along. note the date of this article is from last year:

Sprint's Unlimited Data Smartphone Plan Expected to End Soon | PCWorld

after doing some hard math, I'm realizing that for my dollar, it's best to stay with Big Red. I'm sure everyone has different situations, (like 3-4 kids with smartphones, and/or tablets) but this works best for me.

What I find interesting in that article and that I've read elsewhere is that Sprint only allotted 10MHz of its network spectrum for 4G LTE whereas AT&T and Verizon did 20MHz which provides greater bandwidth, so even when Sprint does get their LTE network up, it could get clogged up quickly unless they add more spectrum.

Also, overall it goes without saying to look before you leap, the grass is not always greener. At least when I got the Thunderbolt, I knew that not only was Verizon's coverage the best where I live, but that we were scheduled to get LTE in 2011. So at least I had confirmation I'd be able to soon use my new LTE phone on an LTE network. Looking at Sprint's LTE rollout plans, I can't say the same, don't see anything for the entire state of Alabama. :(

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Ya, it sucks. Everyone can get on their high horse about blah blah I won't stand for loosing unlimited data, but here is the real truth. Verizon provides the best, fastest service anywhere. Go elsewhere, see what happens. Sprint? What a joke. To get true unlimited you will be paying slightly less but only get service that is terrible. At&t? You will be paying the same price for tiered plans. Tmobile? The ONLY cost effective alternative but you only get anything even close to 4g speeds in major towns.

Fact of the matter is here in Tennessee Verizon has 4g coverage to just about 70% of the state at this point. No other carrier is anywhere even close to that, not to mention the voice/data coverage. What will I do? I am happy with my tbolt and unlimited data. When the One X variant comes out on verizon I might pay full price if I can. If not, learn to use wifi.

xs11e

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I'll stick with VZW, they're currently one of the least expensive carriers for me because of their 65 plus plan.

FWIW, Sprint it the MOST expensive plan for me, it's great for others but I don't use most of that they offer so it's no deal for me and their coverage isn't good for places that I need coverage.

T-Mobile works for me but they also have coverage problems in my area so I'm staying put.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
the more I dig for information on the web, the more I realize that sticking with VZW is probably what I will be doing. i just ran a netflix video, and in 21:30 I used 106mb of data. pricing with everyone else is really close, and I just don't see sacrificing a good network for one you don't know just to save 20 or 30 dollars. I want to be able to make a call and not have it drop WHEN I want to make a call. imagine being on hold on a call for 15 minutes, only to have your phone drop the call. do you really want to start that process all over again??? I know I don't. but, people are gonna do what people are gonna do.....;)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
the more I dig for information on the web, the more I realize that sticking with VZW is probably what I will be doing. i just ran a netflix video, and in 21:30 I used 106mb of data. pricing with everyone else is really close, and I just don't see sacrificing a good network for one you don't know just to save 20 or 30 dollars. I want to be able to make a call and not have it drop WHEN I want to make a call. imagine being on hold on a call for 15 minutes, only to have your phone drop the call. do you really want to start that process all over again??? I know I don't. but, people are gonna do what people are gonna do.....;)

106mb for 21 minutes is low definition video, about 300mb per hour. Something devices utilizing hd netflix may use about 2gb per hour.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Um. AT&T only offers tiered data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Not to mention that they're the first carrier in the US to drop unlimited data in favor of tiered data.

If I left VZ, I'd go with a pre-paid service, and it would simply be because I no longer would be able to afford to pay for VZ's service.

Thig

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been a Verizon fan for years because they have service in the areas where I need it most.
I need to study the other carriers, but the more I read, the more I plan to switch. I usually use WiFi at home and at work. This month is the first time I have gotten close to 1GB because I was traveling and I had wiFi off at work for a while. I am surrounded by people that use well over 10GB a month normally, one of them used 40GB last month. I feel like I am being forced to pay for their heavy useage. I'm not a happy camper.
Add to that the fact the Verizon has ALWAYS been last with the newer phones (like an HTC One X).

I agree with most of what you said here. I rarely go over 1G per month so I feel like I am paying for others at the present time. I do believe Verizon has decent phone however. I left Alltel, which is still in business in my area, to go to Verizon because Alltel was always the last to get the newer phones.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

"Only" $30 a month savings? For most people, $360 a year in savings is hard to come by, no matter what you're doing. I never have any issues with my Android phones on AT&T's network, so complaining about dropped calls is very region-specific.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention that they're the first carrier in the US to drop unlimited data in favor of tiered data.

If I left VZ, I'd go with a pre-paid service, and it would simply be because I no longer would be able to afford to pay for VZ's service.

Though they haven't announced plans to dump current unlimited plans yet.

Also, if I eventually leave Verizon (which won't be for at least another year or two), it'll probably be for a plan similar to T-Mobile's Value offerings.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
And honestly did half of u people bashing sprint use the network on a good phone LATELY?? My guess would be no. Im not hittin 3.5 on 3g but a solid 1.5 on a good day 1mb on a slow one and 6 to 8mb on wimax

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They are dumping it starting 6/28.
Though they haven't announced plans to dump current unlimited plans yet.

Also, if I eventually leave Verizon (which won't be for at least another year or two), it'll probably be for a plan similar to T-Mobile's Value offerings.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is dumping unlimited on 6/28?

I was referring to AT&T.

Sorry, read it wrong. Att hasn't made an announcement yet, but they probably aren't in much of a hurry as verizon since they throttle starting at 3gb or 5gb depending on device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Woops. I stand corrected.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

it is a valid point though, a smart move on Verizon's part to keep unlimited past the iPhone release, so that some on AT&T would jump ship. of course, Verizon doesn't want LTE to get bogged down by the massive influx of LTE iPhones with unlimited data which makes sense why they are pulling it now.