help with linking contacts

xchellemariex

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
i just got the thunderbolt and i have been trying to link my phone contacts with their facebook accounts. i have been trying to manually link them and it has only worked for a few contacts. it only linked 3 contacts automatically. what the heck am i doing wrong? does anyone know? please help

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I found that it took some time. After an hour or so it came back with some other options, but I went through and manually linked and corrected a bunch manually - which worked everytime.

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
this is how ive done it...

in People, Menu, View.. i have my Google contacts and Facebook for HTC Sense contacts checked...also i have Only With Phone Number checked so none of the people without #s on FB are shown...if i dont have their # in my phone means i dont want their # from facebook

if your contacts in ur phone have their phone # on FB the TB should automatically recognize this after a little bit and give you a notification for them to be linked...

for the rest of the people....i Link them when I have some sort of contact with them...if someone texts me or calls me and not linked...just hit Open Contact then hit the Link button above where it says Google then select FB for HTC Sense and find them..

its been the easiest way for me...no way am i sitting there and linking all of them at once

xchellemariex

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
i didnt even know that option was there, the people menu view. lol but i dont want every single person from facebook in my contacts. ugh. i just did that linking only with phone numbers and there are so many with phone numbers on fb that i dont really talk to. guess i should cut my fb friends down lol also, i have some phone contacts who do not list their phone numbers on facebook. so i guess i would have to link those ones manually? the empty faces really bother me. i feel the need to put something for every person, even ones without a facebook.

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
it still doesnt work when i try to link manually. i dont get it.

are u following my instructions above exactly?....

wherever u are either in SMS, call Log, or People...Open the Contact Details...all the way to the right under the time Click the Link Button, then FB for HTC Sense find the same person on FB select them then hit Done..

leehblanc

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Try making sure the way you have their name typed in your contacts matches the way they have it spelled on facebook. Hope that helps.

I don't know how it makes it's matches, but it manages to find friends who (for work reasons) use fake names on facebook. For example, My one friends name is Josh Gordon, but he uses Lang Lance on facebook (names changed to protect the innocent). The Bolt linked them regardless.

xchellemariex

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
are u following my instructions above exactly?....

wherever u are either in SMS, call Log, or People...Open the Contact Details...all the way to the right under the time Click the Link Button, then FB for HTC Sense find the same person on FB select them then hit Done..

that is exactly what i have been doing and it does not work.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
after i click fb for htc sense then select the person from my fb list of friends it just goes back to the previous screen and does not link them.

I had the same problem.. I synced my contacts from Backup assistant...terrible idea... from my old dumb phone. and It would not let me link my contacts to FB twitter what have you.

I figured out to get it to work you have to go contact by contact and "edit contact" then "save" without making any changes. as soon as i did that the contacts started to populate in the links for manual linking and also auto synced for suggested links.

it was a bit annoying to go through every single contact and do this but it worked.

happy hunting.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
ya i just got that from another thread. how ridiculous. it is exactly what i have to do since i imported my contacts from a blackberry. terrific
thanks

def weird. but I would guess its not that uncommon seeing as the contacts are being transfered from one formate to another. the edit/save just re-saves it in the htc/android formate. I guess it makes sense.. just hope you have a short contact list...or a lot of time to kill :p

xchellemariex

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
i just deleted a whole bunch of people i dont talk to anymore to make it somewhat smaller, still very time consuming. good thing i have nothing better to do lol

dwalker

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
really?

Is there really no way to delete certain Facebook contacts? I don't want everyone from Facebook in my contacts, but I'd like to keep some without phone numbers for their email addresses. Help please

xchellemariex

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
ya that part im not sure about. i just deleted some people from my phone contacts not my facebook. as long as u dont download the facebook app i dont think they all show up. i dont know though. this is really confusing

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
i think its def VZW back up assistant related now that u bring it up....back up assistant messed my contacts up day 1 that i had do factory reset..i dont use it anymore...just google

dwalker

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
ya that part im not sure about. i just deleted some people from my phone contacts not my facebook. as long as u dont download the facebook app i dont think they all show up. i dont know though. this is really confusing

I've synched my facebook contacts and linked with phone contacts. If they are not a phone contact, it only lets me block calls, there is no option to delete them. My other phone I could synch everyone and then delete (hide?) the ones I didn't want to see in my contacts. This is confusing!