is unlimited really unlimited?

flipteg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
i know this question has been asked before, but the Thunderbolt is the first phone in the US to use LTE. LTE has been available on USB modems since last December with tiered data, but it seems like carriers are treating phones and PC's different in terms of data consumption. since LTE is supposedly designed for data and are able to handle them more efficiently than anything that came before it, is Verizon's 4G unlimited really unlimited?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am not worthy.

I am not worthy.
I am not worthy.
I am not worthy.
I am not worthy.
I am not worthy.
I am not worthy.
I am not worthy.
I am not worthy.
I am not worthy.
I am not worthy.

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok there have been WAY too many people that have misconceptions about the data usage on their phones.

The $30 plan that you got to surf the web and to play with your apps. This plan includes "UNLIMITED" data usage. It does NOT have 5GB cap. This has been confirmed by 3 verizon reps on our site. Also confirmed if you read the terms and conditions of the data plan you purchase.

The 5GB data usage plans are for following and ONLY for the following: USB Modems, PC Cards, ExpressCards, MiFi 2200, Notebooks, Netbooks, OR if you are tethering a device from a: Mobile Broadband Connect-capable smartphone or blackberry.

On your Phone as long as you are using it ONLY as a phone to access the internet, play games, listen to the radio, or whatever else the phone is capable of (NOT TETHERING!) it is unlimited.

*WARNING* If you do find a way to tether the phone without paying for it, verizon wireless has the ability to find out that you are doing it. While it is unlikely that they find you if you stay under 5GB, they still have the ability to. They will charge you the full amount for the data usage for the times you've used it if caught.
credit: Droid Forums​

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It depends on what your definition of "unlimited" is. Is being throttled if you fall in the top 5% in terms of bandwidth usage unlimited? Is a phrase in the Verizon TOS that says you can be terminated if they view you as abusing their network unlimited? Don't know of anyone who has actually been terminated for it though. Then they could also go the way of AT&T which is starting to assume that high bandwidth users are tethering without the add-on and threatening to add it if they don't cut back.

For most people there's no need to worry about angering Verizon or falling in that top 5% though. Unless you're heavily streaming music/video on the phone or using that LTE speed for tethering, torrents, cable tv replacement, etc then you'll be fine.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
CW,
I will agree to disagree with you because it's in the contract.
Every single contract I have signed since my treo days has always had a 5gb soft cap.

The fine print specifically says that they reserve the right to charge for excessive use and or data charges incurred above 5gb. They never do, but they have sent warnings out saying you are hitting your monthly limit.

I feel shame.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It depends on what your definition of "unlimited" is. Is being throttled if you fall in the top 5% in terms of bandwidth usage unlimited? Is a phrase in the Verizon TOS that says you can be terminated if they view you as abusing their network unlimited? Don't know of anyone who has actually been terminated for it though. Then they could also go the way of AT&T which is starting to assume that high bandwidth users are tethering without the add-on and threatening to add it if they don't cut back.

For most people there's no need to worry about angering Verizon or falling in that top 5% though. Unless you're heavily streaming music/video on the phone or using that LTE speed for tethering, torrents, cable tv replacement, etc then you'll be fine.

Believe it or not I find using Pandora, etc. to take up very little bandwidth....
Cyber if I am wrong then thank you for correcting me.
I have never seen the tethered part of the small print and apparently neither have the managers that are local to my area.

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
so excited no more 5gb cap...i remember that from my BB days...

i have an old Sirius unit in my car too...so basically i can get rid of that and just use the Sirius app all the time now and not worry about going over anything correct?

...or do u think streaming every time u are in the car would put u in the top 5%? just trying to gauge how much bandwidth is used when streaming stuff

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I haven't done much 3G streaming since I went from a Storm to the first Droid but when I had the Storm, I would stream about 2 hours of iheartradio M-F over 3G (no wifi). That ended up being about 4GB worth so depending how much you stream, you could probably easily blow by that.