I'm done with this thing.

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I love the Android platform. I've got a Galaxy Tab, and couldn't be happier with it. But I can't get this Thunderbolt to operate as designed. The MTP mode just does not work reliably. Sometimes I can get it to connect to my computer with no problems. Other times, I need to swap USB ports to make it work. And then other times (assuming I've gotten it working at all) it'll just arbitrarily disconnect from the computer. Verizon spent a few hours on the phone with me trying to get it to work, and was very apologetic when they told me there was nothing else they could do, and that I should contact HTC. HTC claims that MTP mode was added by Verizon, so they weren't gonna support anything but HTC Sync or USB Mass Storage. So, it's back to the Storm until something better comes along. Hopefully, something that works. You know, I really don't know what problem people have with Big Red. They've been nothing but helpful through all of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zog1977

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
But..but... the TB hurts so good!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great phone. I don't even have an issue with the battery life. But I need it to be able to sync my Rhapsody tracks to it, and to do that I need MTP. This is, unfortunately, a show stopper for me. I'm not getting in the middle of Big Red and HTC.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yea, man. I understand. We all have our own needs. I was just being silly because my quote (which is now my sig.) is pretty accurate. It's an amazing device, but like all things has it's issues.

Frag x 3

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Yea, man. I understand. We all have our own needs. I was just being silly because my quote (which is now my sig.) is pretty accurate. It's an amazing device, but like all things has it's issues.

Early adopters like you are the ones that are really going to be hurting when something more capable and more reliable comes out in 2 months.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Early adopters like you are the ones that are really going to be hurting when something more capable and more reliable comes out in 2 months.

Yea but then two months later something else will come out and two months after that something else will come out. Technology will ALWAYS go up and if you wait for something better you'll never get something new.

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

And when those come out, they will be hurting when the new hottness comes out... Soooo....rawr!

I'm enjoying my LTE as an early adopter ;)

Sent from my speak and say using Tapatalk

EDIT:// it takes me too long to type on this thing while watching Tron :)

Reactions: RetiredJedi

Frag x 3

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Yea but then two months later something else will come out and two months after that something else will come out. Technology will ALWAYS go up and if you wait for something better you'll never get something new.

No, no, here's where you're wrong - the Thunderbolt is flawed, with terrible battery life, a lousy speaker design, and people have been having numerous issues with it. When, say, the DROID Charge or Targa come out, they may be perfected by then. Early adoption is almost never a good thing. You're the guinea pigs.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
No, no, here's where you're wrong - the Thunderbolt is flawed, with terrible battery life, a lousy speaker design, and people have been having numerous issues with it. When, say, the DROID Charge or Targa come out, they may be perfected by then. Early adoption is almost never a good thing. You're the guinea pigs.

And here's where your wrong - those phones will come out and be "perfected" and there will be just as many discussions like this one with people talking about "I'm done with this thing". None of them are going to be perfect for everyone and I haven't had ANY issues with my phone at all. Now I may have just jinxed myself but me, my wife, and my daughter got these phones since day one and NONE of us have issues and love the phones.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. I don't get why the people who are stuck with their Droid 1s and BlackBerry's are making fun of us or say we are stuck when something better comes out in 2 months.

Um... is it lost on them that they have much older phones than we do? Heck, I was going to hold onto my Storm until the Bionic came out, but then it dawned on me that it would be stupid of me to do that. Now I'm going to get a new phone in March that will probably be a lot more advanced than the Bionic and it will be just the right time to do it because 1 year contracts are no more.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Good point SoDev, so the people that wait two months for something better are going to guinea pigs for the teired data plans if that's logic being used.

I also got the 1 year contract, that I MIGHT take advantage of, but I've loving the bolt right now. It's a f'n beast of a comp. in the palm of my hands. :cool:

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

This is exactly why I decided to get the Galaxy Tab. I knew something better was coming down the pike. But I decided that I didn't want to get stuck in the "I'll wait for the next big thing cycle" because then I'd have bought any tablet. And you know what? I like the Tab.

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
storm 1 was nothing but a paper weight when it 1st came out pretty much useless.. unless u include nonstop battery pulls but after the os update it was 100 times better and i kept it up until i got the tb which i dont have any real problems with and im sure will only get better with updates

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Another way of looking at it is that by the time others get the next, best, thing, they'll be just starting to suffer through the learning curve and bug forest/workarounds when we'll have already established smooooth sailing! And... on 4G/LTE!

-Frank

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I always just get the best phone available that suits my needs every two years. I don't want a new device every three months or every year.

The Thunderbolt will get updates I assume. That's cool. Also, unlimited data for the next two years!

I haven't had any bugs with my new device either, though I would expect some since it's new. All new devices have glitches. No phone is ever released "perfect."

And as others have already stated there's always going to be new devices every three months or so.

Thunderbolt was a Hugh upgrade from my Tour and I'm very happy with it, and with my extended battery life.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I always just get the best phone available that suits my needs every two years. I don't want a new device every three months or every year.

The Thunderbolt will get updates I assume. That's cool. Also, unlimited data for the next two years!

I haven't had any bugs with my new device either, though I would expect some since it's new. All new devices have glitches. No phone is ever released "perfect."

And as others have already stated there's always going to be new devices every three months or so.

Thunderbolt was a Hugh upgrade from my Tour and I'm very happy with it, and with my extended battery life.

I totally agree. Thunderbolt is a major step up from my BB Storm and from what I have read it appears HTC is pretty good about pushing out firmware or software updates as needed. So whatever new phone comes out in 2 months with whatever bugs it ships with will not be any major improvement over the 'Bolt which will probably have received a "push" by then to address the few minor glitches like the mic problem when recording video which HTC has already acknowledged.