WiFi Battery Life post OTA

qisdtech

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone who uses their Thunderbolt over WIFi instead of 3G/4G is seeing more battery consumption while the phone is using WiFi instead of 3G/4G.

Prior to the OTA, I got about 1 hour more battery life staying on the WiFi as much as possible and only using 3G when I was away from my WiFi coverage.

Using Battery Monitor, I have noticed since the OTA I am consumng 80-120ma while on Wifi and only 30-50ma when the wifi is turned off and I'm using the 3G service.
I have read that you can save battery if you connect via WiFi since it requires less power than the 3G/4G radios do.

Now, post OTA, I get about an hour less battery when using WiFi than I do with WiFi off and just using 3G (We Don't have 4G in Northwest Texas yet)

Nothing has changed in my applications, the change seemed to happen after I got the OTA update.

Thoughts? Anyone else notice this?

John

Last edited:

ShamelessMT

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what has happened to mine. Since the OTA I've learned to leave the wifi off because it draws more juice than with it on. Opposite of what used to be. I am in a 3G only area too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11