SMS Bug? Or by design?

jrmarinojr

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Please tell me if you guys have noticed this. In order to have my phone vibrate when receiving a text message I need to go into the phone settings and check the "vibrate box". However, when the phone is not on vibrate (normal ringer mode) the phone will ring AND vibrate. What I am saying is that there is no way to get the native SMS client to vibrate ONLY when the phone is on vibrate. I had to switch to Handcent. Anyone else have this issue?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What you need to do is unckeck the vibrate box in menu / settings / sounds. And instead check the vibrate box in the messaging app settings.

jrmarinojr

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Tried that which results in the phone vibrating when I receive a text even when the phone is not on Vibrate mode meaning it will ring and vibrate.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Tried that which results in the phone vibrating when I receive a text even when the phone is not on Vibrate mode meaning it will ring and vibrate.

So unchecked vibrate box in menu / settings / sounds results in vibrate all the time?

If so then something's wrong.

Try downloading Sound Manager app. In the app go to menu / vibrate settings / vibrate only when silent for both options.

jrmarinojr

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Oops sorry I read that as checked, not UNchecked. I have Vibrate UNchecked in general Sound settings which results in Text msgs NOT vibrating when the phone is in Vibrate mode. If i Check the Vibrate box in the Messages settings, it will vibrate even when the phone is not set on vibrate...very strange

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Did you check out the settings under your SMS application? There should be a notification section with a Vibrate option.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Oops sorry I read that as checked, not UNchecked. I have Vibrate UNchecked in general Sound settings which results in Text msgs NOT vibrating when the phone is in Vibrate mode. If i Check the Vibrate box in the Messages settings, it will vibrate even when the phone is not set on vibrate...very strange

Try

"UNckeck the vibrate box in menu / settings / sounds.

And instead check the vibrate box in the messaging app settings. "

If that doesn't work, keep those setting and try the app I mentioned.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

What Forgetful wrote works for me. By design.

One thing... If you reboot with the phone in vibrate mode (via side rocker button) the phone will switch back to what you are experiencing right now. That's a bug. If you want to reboot, change it to normal sound before you do, using the rocker. Then, after reboot, set main rocker as desired.

Confusing. What I am trying to say is that rebooting will permanently change the Sound/Vibrate Default setting to vibrate if the rocker is set to vibrate, even though the rocker is supposed to be a quick temp change to vibrate.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jrmarinojr

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Tried the whole reboot thing while on normal volume. If I uncheck the vibrate box in GENREAL settings and check the vibrate box in MESSAGES settings, it will still vibrate when the phone is on regular ringer volume. WEIRD