Debating on the G2 - Questions

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of giving up my S4 for a G2. The price on brand new ones has dropped to the point where it's nearly a wash for me to try something new. While I like my S4, I have an addiction to new phones and the screen, battery life, speed, and camera have me intrigued by this phone.

Anyone coming from a non-LG phone (in particular something like an S3, S4, Note 2, or Note 3) to the G2? Anything specific you think I should know?

How is the LG software compared to TouchWiz?

How is the camera compared to the top of the line Samsung phones?

How are you getting by with the button placement?

Does anyone have any clue how LG is with updates? HTC and Samsung seem to be doing pretty well these days.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of giving up my S4 for a G2. The price on brand new ones has dropped to the point where it's nearly a wash for me to try something new. While I like my S4, I have an addiction to new phones and the screen, battery life, speed, and camera have me intrigued by this phone.

Anyone coming from a non-LG phone (in particular something like an S3, S4, Note 2, or Note 3) to the G2? Anything specific you think I should know?

How is the LG software compared to TouchWiz?

How is the camera compared to the top of the line Samsung phones?

How are you getting by with the button placement?

Does anyone have any clue how LG is with updates? HTC and Samsung seem to be doing pretty well these days.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
I have an S4 but I have tried out the G2 for some time.
1. It's basically a slightly bigger S4 with buttons on the back and software buttons on the screen :p
2. While it runs smoother than TouchWiz because of the SD800, the Note 3 runs it just as smooth or at least comparably. Looks wise I'd say it's an even uglier TouchWiz (Didn't think it was possible)
3. I'd say the camera can be better than the S4 but it's pretty inconsistent, at times it will take really good shots and others it will take barely decent ones but the Note 3's is better than both
4. Most people say it feels more natural to them since your fingers probably rest there anyway
5. Don't have a G2 so I'm not sure

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have an S4 but I have tried out the G2 for some time.
1. It's basically a slightly bigger S4 with buttons on the back and software buttons on the screen :p
2. While it runs smoother than TouchWiz because of the SD800, the Note 3 runs it just as smooth or at least comparably. Looks wise I'd say it's an even uglier TouchWiz (Didn't think it was possible)
3. I'd say the camera can be better than the S4 but it's pretty inconsistent, at times it will take really good shots and others it will take barely decent ones but the Note 3's is better than both
4. Most people say it feels more natural to them since your fingers probably rest there anyway
5. Don't have a G2 so I'm not sure

So basically you're telling me to stay with the S4 or go to a Note? Haha. I would run Nova on it, so the skin isn't the biggest issue. The camera is a big issue, though. And if it can be a problem then I'm not going to be too interested.

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So basically you're telling me to stay with the S4 or go to a Note? Haha. I would run Nova on it, so the skin isn't the biggest issue. The camera is a big issue, though. And if it can be a problem then I'm not going to be too interested.

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, if you get the G2 though, since you say you like to change phones a lot you could have it for about 6 months then get the S5 :D
And yeah, if the size isn't too much then I'd get the Note 3.
A quick question, did 4.3 improve the performance on the S4? I should be getting it in two weeks but unless the lag is much improved I won't even try it

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if you get the G2 though, since you say you like to change phones a lot you could have it for about 6 months then get the S5 :D
And yeah, if the size isn't too much then I'd get the Note 3.
A quick question, did 4.3 improve the performance on the S4? I should be getting it in two weeks but unless the lag is much improved I won't even try it

I do change a lot, I have a new phone addiction. 6 months is about all I can handle. Ha. I've been checking out the G2, Note 3, One, and X. Can't really decide between them all. Not sure about the size of the Note. And I think 4.3 vastly improved the speed of the S4. There are some other glitches that I'm not a huge fan of, however.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I do change a lot, I have a new phone addiction. 6 months is about all I can handle. Ha. I've been checking out the G2, Note 3, One, and X. Can't really decide between them all. Not sure about the size of the Note. And I think 4.3 vastly improved the speed of the S4. There are some other glitches that I'm not a huge fan of, however.
Hmm, I'd say either the X or One just to change it up a bit, the G2 and GS4 are fairly similar. What about the glitches? Is it the annoying Knox thing I've been reading about?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The people that make a big deal about the UI obviously want to to dislike the phone for some reason. Since you can use themes on the G2 the UI really isn't that big of an issue. If you are okay with Touchwiz you'll be fine with LG's UI. You'll notice that the only person actually responding to you is trying to talk you out of it and he's been that way since the beginning. I don't know why, but he has a bias against it for some reason. You'll notice that this forum isn't super active and part of the reason is because everyone is loving the phone and not having any issues. There isn't a reason to be on the forums for hours a day if you don't have issues or problems to ask about.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The people that make a big deal about the UI obviously want to to dislike the phone for some reason. Since you can use themes on the G2 the UI really isn't that big of an issue. If you are okay with Touchwiz you'll be fine with LG's UI. You'll notice that the only person actually responding to you is trying to talk you out of it and he's been that way since the beginning. I don't know why, but he has a bias against it for some reason. You'll notice that this forum isn't super active and part of the reason is because everyone is loving the phone and not having any issues. There isn't a reason to be on the forums for hours a day if you don't have issues or problems to ask about.

I'm sorry. Am I not entitled to an opinion? He asked for input and I just gave him mine. In my opinion, it isn't worth the money because of the similarity but the OP says that's not an issue than he can get the phone if he wants. Just though I'd let him know what I thought of the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I'd say either the X or One just to change it up a bit, the G2 and GS4 are fairly similar. What about the glitches? Is it the annoying Knox thing I've been reading about?

I haven't had the Knox issue yet. I do have a problem with clicking notifications and it not unlocking the phone. Which it did before the update. And I get a constant notification about my wifi connection not being strong, even though I'm running at 9ish Mbps.

I'm actually agreeing with you about the X or One. Just for something different. The X is tough to ignore.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

So what's your opinion on the phone according to what I was looking for? I haven't decided against it yet at all. I still think it looks like a great phone. But I'd love some opinions for sure.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Let me rephrase what I said so I don't sound biased
1. If money is not an issue and you want an S4 with better specs and back buttons, get the G2.
2. If you want a bigger S4 with a pen get the Note 3.
3. If you want something completely different than the LG/Samsung UI get the One or the Moto X.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Let me rephrase what I said so I don't sound biased
1. If money is not an issue and you want an S4 with better specs and back buttons, get the G2.
2. If you want a bigger S4 with a pen get the Note 3.
3. If you want something completely different than the LG/Samsung UI get the One or the Moto X.

Haha. And well said. Don't worry, I'm not mad at you for your posts here. I welcome any and all opinions and comments.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Haha. And well said. Don't worry, I'm not mad at you for your posts here. I welcome any and all opinions and comments.

Yeah but it did kind of seem like I was pushing you away from the G2 :p
Have you considered the Nexus 5? Best of both worlds of the HTC One (Size and screen) and Moto X (Software)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but it did kind of seem like I was pushing you away from the G2 :p
Have you considered the Nexus 5? Best of both worlds of the HTC One (Size and screen) and Moto X (Software)

Man, I would take one of those in a heartbeat. But I'm on Verizon and that won't happen for me.

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the G2 and my wife has the S4. I looked at every smartphone at Verizon prior to getting the G2. Plus I had a few months to play around with my wife's S4. The G2 has great battery life, as good or better camera, extremely fast, ability to utilize themes (which takes LG vs TouchWiz out of the equation), Knock-Knock (which is one of the best Android features I have seen in recent years). IMO the G2 is the best Android on the market right now.

Fyi, the rear button placement is very poor on the Verizon variant but since I put on the Dual Pro case it has greatly improved (buttons are much easier to find).

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the G2 and my wife has the S4. I looked at every smartphone at Verizon prior to getting the G2. Plus I had a few months to play around with my wife's S4. The G2 has great battery life, as good or better camera, extremely fast, ability to utilize themes (which takes LG vs TouchWiz out of the equation), Knock-Knock (which is one of the best Android features I have seen in recent years). IMO the G2 is the best Android on the market right now.

Fyi, the rear button placement is very poor on the Verizon variant but since I put on the Dual Pro case it has greatly improved (buttons are much easier to find).

That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I won't be rooting or anything, but when you say "theming" do you mean you can change things internally or just with stuff like Nova or Apex? I would most likely put Nova on it because I like the stock look a bit more.

Anything else you notice about it compared to the S4?

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I also have a G2. I came from a Nokia Lumia 920. I find the camera is not as good as well as the ease and use of the phone poor verses my Lumia. The interface is clunky but I am mostly describing Android verses Windows Phone. If tmobile had a compelling Windows Phone I would have picked that up.

As for the G2. I think for its size it is the best phone on the market. It has a good camera. It doesn't hold a candle to the Lumia phones but it is still pretty good. I like the software features like knock on, and also you press the volume key down to open the camera.

For LG interface I like it better than touch wiz. You can put themes and change icons.

I find the G2 a step up from the S4. Probably the only device better for Android right now is the note 3.

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I came from the HTC DNA, which was an awesome phone. I have been a big HTC fan, but for me, the One wasn't a step up and the One Max was just too big.

After test-driving the G2 for just a few days, I was hooked. Love the button placement, the fantastic screen, and the AMAZING battery life. No looking back, and happy I made the switch.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Man, I would take one of those in a heartbeat. But I'm on Verizon and that won't happen for me.
Sucks :( If battery is also a big factor then the best of any of the ones mentioned here would probably be the G2 with the Note 3 a close second. The S4 is good on battery but about 1-2 hours less of screen time depending on your usage.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I recently switched from an S4 to the G2, and I have been 99% happy with the switch.

PROS:

(1) Screen is much brighter than S4, and visible in sunlight.

(2) Nova runs great on either, but everything is a bit smoother on the G2.

(3) The back buttons are fantastic, and completely prevent accidental button presses when holding or pocketing the phone.

(4) I hated the mechanical home button with a passion, and much prefer the soft-keys of the G2. You can even choose which keys are positioned where, to emulate either the Samsung positioning or the Nexus positioning.

(5) Knock-on, knock-off is great! It means you almost never need to use the mechanical on-off button at all.

(6) Battery life is *much* better.

CON:

(1) The speaker is quieter than the S4.

As far as the camera, I am not a high-end photographer, and I have been equally satisfied with the S4 and G2 cameras.