Is Marshmallow coming to G2?

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
The phone is a 2 year old phone and it should handle Marshmallow well...I know VZW and LG want people to move on to newer devices but the G2 should still receive the updated OS as the last major upgrade.

Posted via VZW LG G2

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately that is the major flaw with Android.... putting the upgrade responsibility on the carriers and OEM's where the model is more profit driven than anything. You own an apple... its likely you will get updates years after you purchase it. Android, and you are done after 1 year, two at best. (damn, I never thought I'd say that). Its not a compatibility issue... there are lots more "new" phones out there that have lesser specs than the G2 that will be updated.

LOL... My HP Tablet that is almost 7 years old just updated to Windows 10 and runs better than it did on Win7. ... and the upgrade was free.

Google needs to be in control of pushing the updates, not the carriers and OEM's!

David

Neera42

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I wish it would get Marshmallow. Lollipop wasn't great for it, it ran best on good old KitKat imo.

I have since moved on to the G4, but I still miss my G2. The size was just about perfect and the battery life was stellar!

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
You could always flash a rom (there will probably be a G4 Marshmallow ROM on xda in the near future for the G2, they're pretty good with it)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
The phone is a 2 year old phone and it should handle Marshmallow well...I know VZW and LG want people to move on to newer devices but the G2 should still receive the updated OS as the last major upgrade.

Posted via VZW LG G2

Probably not sadly, although like you said it would be able to run it well (blame it on LG's UI)

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
If LG wouldn't be this lazy then they can apply the same UI that LG G3 or G4 will have with Marshmallow.

In my opinion OEMs need to, when they release an update for a previous year flagship, also update the UI to match, it only makes sense... Maybe it's just me

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If LG wouldn't be this lazy then they can apply the same UI that LG G3 or G4 will have with Marshmallow.

In my opinion OEMs need to, when they release an update for a previous year flagship, also update the UI to match, it only makes sense... Maybe it's just me

I agree 100%, but understand why they don't (want to push more sales to the newer devices) Feels like a half attempt at an update when they keep the look the same compared to the newer version of the phone and UI.

brettt777

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Personally I don't care if my G2 will ever get updated. This is by far the worst cell phone I have ever owned. I will never own another LG phone and when I get my next upgrade I will take this PoS out in the back yard and use it for target practice. And to think I got this thing instead of an S5 because it was $100 cheaper. Ya gets what ya pays for...

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Personally I don't care if my G2 will ever get updated. This is by far the worst cell phone I have ever owned. I will never own another LG phone and when I get my next upgrade I will take this PoS out in the back yard and use it for target practice. And to think I got this thing instead of an S5 because it was $100 cheaper. Ya gets what ya pays for...

Really..? My G2 was the best device I've ever owned (maybe it was just the fact it's one of the best root/mod phones..)

Mister_Bill

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I wish it would get Marshmallow. Lollipop wasn't great for it, it ran best on good old KitKat imo.

I have since moved on to the G4, but I still miss my G2. The size was just about perfect and the battery life was stellar!
They COULD fix Lollipop on it if they'd just roll out 5.1.1. I think the biggest problem most people have with 5.0.2 is the battery issues, and I've read that those are fixed with 5.1.1. I have a Google News category for LG G2 and it's amazing how many articles there are about it getting/not getting Marshmallow. They seem to contradict themselves, for a while changing on a weekly basis.

What did you like better on the G2 than the G4? Is it just the size? I'm about to upgrade to a G4. I know it's a bit bigger but my pocket can handle it and I like the idea of the removable battery and memory slot.

Last edited:

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
and many old lumia (windows phone) is also getting windows 10m. Google really needs to work on reducing fragmentation issue with android.
Again, Google have not control on the upgrade of a phone. This is manufacturing and carrier control. What Google could do in the future is to have more control over Android and tell manufacturing the guideline in how to make a phone or table and make these available for Google to upgrade without their intervention. But because Android is open source it will never happens.