Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Root MJE?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Saw this and just a side note - I have the 8$/mo insurance with Verizon. My bf accidentally broke my phone Friday evening, we filed a claim with a $99 deductible on Sat afternoon and I had a new phone shipped to me which arrived Monday morning. Pretty impressed with that.

Posted via Android Central App

I have the same $8 protection--$99 only? I swore when I replaced my last phone it was $150 for a smartphone of any type.

And after reading this thread---and the fact that this root method doesn't wipe the phone like some others, i'm jumping in.
UPDATE: and just like that, downloaded, plugged in & ran the software, and 15 minutes later (1 tap on the phone) - - i'm rooted. Applied a test root-app just to be sure (enable all apps in pen window from XDA) and running just fine. next up, researching how hard it is to do safestrap/custom recovery & instsalling a 4.4 ROM

Last edited:

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the same $8 protection--$99 only? I swore when I replaced my last phone it was $150 for a smartphone of any type.

And after reading this thread---and the fact that this root method doesn't wipe the phone like some others, i'm jumping in.
UPDATE: and just like that, downloaded, plugged in & ran the software, and 15 minutes later (1 tap on the phone) - - i'm rooted. Applied a test root-app just to be sure (enable all apps in pen window from XDA) and running just fine. next up, researching how hard it is to do safestrap/custom recovery & instsalling a 4.4 ROM

Yep $99 only. My bf and I spent a while reading what protection (insurance) I had and what the deductible was going to be. I guess Verizon has 4 different insurance deals with asurion (this is who the claim gets filed with). For my $8/mo it's a $99 deductible. It was the same with my iPhone before this, was still the $8/mo and $99 deductible.

You have to send the broken phone to the ins co but they tell you to keep the battery and all the accessories which is nice since my bf and I have the same phone so it helps to have a spare charger n stuff around.

d2r2

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my device as you have state micro usb which was plugged in to usb 2.0. After root everything was fine but when i go to super user i get this error message "samsung knox has been detected. This might limit root capabilities and sause annoying popups. Try to disable knox? What should i do or what do i do to fix this. Thank you

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There is a $5 plan that covers the same thing...The only thing the $8 plan offers is an extra year for the manufacturers warranty.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

d2r2

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
yep $99 only. My bf and i spent a while reading what protection (insurance) i had and what the deductible was going to be. I guess verizon has 4 different insurance deals with asurion (this is who the claim gets filed with). For my $8/mo it's a $99 deductible. It was the same with my iphone before this, was still the $8/mo and $99 deductible.

You have to send the broken phone to the ins co but they tell you to keep the battery and all the accessories which is nice since my bf and i have the same phone so it helps to have a spare charger n stuff around.

Posted via android central app
check out your local best buy store warranty i hear it's better then asurion.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Does it cover loss and theft though? I've heard that it doesn't but asurion's insurance does, and with a brand new smartphone that's important. I already know one person whose had theirs stolen.

I'm pretty happy paying the $8/mo as it gives me piece of mind, in a yr or so I may decide to stop having insurance but for now I'd rather be safe than sorry and cover all my bases.

As for the $99 deductible I made my bf pay since he was the one who broke it! Ha :)

TheShade001

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I have been pulling my hair out here. I recently purchased a note 3 which came with the MJE update. I am a Verizon user with model SM-N900V, 4.3, MJE. Every root method I have tried has failed, including the Kingo method....which looked so promising. When I use kingo, I get the message, "Failed. notsupported." can someone help give me insight? it sounds like others running g MJE have had success...I haven't and it's driving me crazy! I have debugging on, of course, I am using a basic USB 2 cable and port, I have disabled, "verify apps," and I don't get a popup that asks me to "allow" on my PC. Can anyone help me with this root issue? I'm dying to get rooted and move on. I don't care AT ALL whether KNOX is tripped. Not sure why anyone would care to be honest. anyway. I am begging for help. I have tried 4 or 5 rooting methods, all of which fail. it's getting pretty discouraging. PLEASE HELP! Thank you so much to ANYONE who can point me in the right direction.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I dont think that the verify apps is the problem. Are you getting the pop up that allows the computer to talk to the phone via adb, that says the computer is a trusted and allowed source? Click the revoke usb debugging authorizations under Developer options, reboot the phone, exit Kingo, restart Kingo and try again would be my suggestion. I don't ever remember unchecking the verify apps button while using Kingo and I've used it multiple times without ever having tripped Knox.

TheShade001

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I dont think that the verify apps is the problem. Are you getting the pop up that allows the computer to talk to the phone via adb, that says the computer is a trusted and allowed source? Click the revoke usb debugging authorizations under Developer options, reboot the phone, exit Kingo, restart Kingo and try again would be my suggestion. I don't ever remember unchecking the verify apps button while using Kingo and I've used it multiple times without ever having tripped Knox.

Thanks for the response, Ballistic. No, I'm not getting that prompt. BTW, I'm running windows 7. I tried ur suggestion and got the same result... "Failed. notsupport." pretty frustrating. I will keep at it. so irritating. it's got to be something simple...well...not necessarily, but I've rooted every phone I've had since the year 2001. never hit a wall like this. Thanks again for response.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Did Kingo install the driver for the phone? Try uninstalling any and all drivers, try using the official usb cord if you arent already, heck, even try using a different usb port. I ran it perfectly fine on my windows 7 machine at home so I dont want to attribute it to windows 7. I know during the root process it tries to push an apk, you have to allow installing unknown sources and you have to specifically click the pop up on your phone that the computer is a trusted device. I'm basing this off memory so I might be missing a step. After it pushes and you install the apk it reboots the phone, then tries to use adb, that might be where allowing the computer to connect to the device pop up comes in. Try looking up kingo root videos on youtube, I'd really be surprised if someone doesnt have a video uploaded there already...

TheShade001

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Did Kingo install the driver for the phone? Try uninstalling any and all drivers, try using the official usb cord if you arent already, heck, even try using a different usb port. I ran it perfectly fine on my windows 7 machine at home so I dont want to attribute it to windows 7. I know during the root process it tries to push an apk, you have to allow installing unknown sources and you have to specifically click the pop up on your phone that the computer is a trusted device. I'm basing this off memory so I might be missing a step. After it pushes and you install the apk it reboots the phone, then tries to use adb, that might be where allowing the computer to connect to the device pop up comes in. Try looking up kingo root videos on youtube, I'd really be surprised if someone doesnt have a video uploaded there already...

Hallelujah! It worked! Dude, thank u so much for sticking it out with me man. Ur last post is what did it. All my settings were right, but for some reason I had never gotten the prompt, on my phone, to allow the computer's "handshake." Also, I had installed the drivers manually rather than let Kingo do it. Not sure if that played a roll, but I uninstalled all drivers and let Kingo install them. As soon as Kingo installed the drivers, my phone was prompted to allow the handshake. I didn't even have to go into the bootloader. I simply clicked "root" while the phone was booted up and Kingo did the rest. Voila! I have root. Again, thank you so much for helping me, Ballistic. I would not have gone thru those steps had you not taken the time to respond. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. You were spot on. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I just recently did a manual update of my Note 3 with Odin and am now on MJE. Every time I plug the Note in and run Kingo Root it never recognizes the phone but the computer does!

I have tried using a different USB port, re-installed Kingo, I'm sure my drivers are correct because again, I can connect to the PC with no problem.

Anyone have any idea how to get Kingo going? I am familiar with it since I used it to root my Note 3 when on MJ7 previously.

PLEASE HELP! I have a lot of apps that depend on root access that now I can't run any more.

Thanks.

P.S. - Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere here on the forum. I did several searches but came up with nothing.

TheShade001

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I just recently did a manual update of my Note 3 with Odin and am now on MJE. Every time I plug the Note in and run Kingo Root it never recognizes the phone but the computer does!

I have tried using a different USB port, re-installed Kingo, I'm sure my drivers are correct because again, I can connect to the PC with no problem.

Anyone have any idea how to get Kingo going? I am familiar with it since I used it to root my Note 3 when on MJ7 previously.

PLEASE HELP! I have a lot of apps that depend on root access that now I can't run any more.

Thanks.

P.S. - Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere here on the forum. I did several searches but came up with nothing.

Batman, I take no credit for this advice. A fellow poster, Ballisticn8, helped dig me out of a bind. I was sure I had everything in order, but when I followed a few simple steps I was good to go. I am also running MJE and rooted with Kingo with no problems once I followed a few simple procedures.

First, make sure ur settings are correct on ur phone. Just make sure that USB debugging is turned on and that you allow "unknown sources" (under security). Try uninstalling all samsung drivers even if you ate confident they are current (including Kies). I would uninstall any and all drivers.To be sure, on your phone, try clicking (under developer options) Revoke USB debugging authorizations. reboot your phone. Launch Kingo and it will ask u to connect ur device. While booted, plug in ur phone and let Kingo find the drivers. it will tell you that it is looking for the drivers. it takes a few minutes, but let Kingo find and install the drivers. it will eventually connect to ur phone and ur phone will have a prompt asking u to allow the computer to connect to it. Click OK. Follow Kingo's instructions which should be just clicking root at that point. You don't have to go into bootload mode. You can click "root" even with your phone booted up. Kingo will do the rest. I hope this helps. If it does, be sure to back up a post or two and thank Ballisticn8, which is where the credit goes to. following those simple steps got me rooted and on my way.

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for your reply TheShade001, I really appreciate your time. However, once finally getting home and trying another computer it worked! It must be something about the PC I'm on at work. It does sort of seem like a driver issue, so next time I have a problem like this I'll try uninstalling them like you said.

Thanks again!

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey glad I was able to help. I've been in bind myself and someone was nice enough to help so I'm just passing along the good karma!

Sent from my XT1060

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Does it cover loss and theft though? I've heard that it doesn't but asurion's insurance does, and with a brand new smartphone that's important. I already know one person whose had theirs stolen.

I'm pretty happy paying the $8/mo as it gives me piece of mind, in a yr or so I may decide to stop having insurance but for now I'd rather be safe than sorry and cover all my bases.

As for the $99 deductible I made my bf pay since he was the one who broke it! Ha :)

Best Buy doesn't cover loss or theft. Best Buy also currently has a $150 deductible per claim and 3 claim limit per 24 month period. Verizon asurion has a 2 claim limit per year and $99 deductible.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

kool_zero

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone successfully rooted the verizon 900v? I have tried the steps above about removing the drivers and such, but I still get "ROOT Failed! NotSupport"

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone successfully rooted the verizon 900v? I have tried the steps above about removing the drivers and such, but I still get "ROOT Failed! NotSupport"

I'm curious too..... And is vroot any more of a security risk than kingo?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

TheShade001

May 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm curious too..... And is vroot any more of a security risk than kingo?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

@kool_zero - I was frustrated and hopeless for a while, but yes, using Kingo you can def easily root your 900v with no problems or even tripping Knox (even running the latest MJE update). Thanks to some people here I was able to solve the delima. The steps are sort of scattered throughout a few posts, however, which may be confusing. I'll compile them into one post.

@recDNA - not sure about vroot, but I do know that Kingo is safe, secure, does not trip Knox, and allows u to easily unroot if u ever need to.

@whomever is running 900v (even MJE) - if you're having an issue using Kingo to root u 900v, hang in there for a few. I thought I had tried everything and was really out of ideas...but rest assured...I honestly believe you'll be rooted by following a few simple steps, in the right order. Unfortunately, I have a work meeting tonight and won't be able to post the simple walkthrough I went through to get rooted and up and running for a few hours. I will gladly do so when I get back this evening. Sorry to keep ya waiting. I was so grateful that others quickly took the time to help get my issues resolved (thanks, again, Ballisticn8). There were a few steps I needed to take, however, which I hadn't posted. When I get back tonight, I will write out the step-by-step process which got me rooted using Kingo (ver. SM-N900V, MJE).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699