Voice cutting out on Calls?

Scott Upton

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I just got my S4 yesterday, and so far, with all the calls that I have made, each person on the other end has experienced the same thing: My voice cuts out on their end and they can't hear me. It works fine at the beginning of the call, then nobody can hear me. Did I get a bad phone? Is the microphone just shutting off? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for your help! :confused:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I just got my S4 yesterday, and so far, with all the calls that I have made, each person on the other end has experienced the same thing: My voice cuts out on their end and they can't hear me. It works fine at the beginning of the call, then nobody can hear me. Did I get a bad phone? Is the microphone just shutting off? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for your help! :confused:

That happened a lot with previous samsung devices and even sometimes on my s3 so don't think it's a bad phone, think it is something software related.

cp581

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey Scott,

I recently got an S4 and I'm experiencing the same problems that you described. I've troubleshooted it a bunch with Verizon and they've been no help. What ended up happening with your issues?

Thanks

Aaron Lennon

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I just started having the same problem yesterday. for me people seem to be able to hear me. The speaker on the phone starts out fine but then gets so quiet I can't hear them. The volume is all the way up and still it is very quiet. The problem does not exist if I use my blue tooth headset so I am still able to function day to day but this is for sure a phone issue.

Their voice starts fine for the first few words, disappears like volume turned to below lowest setting, then it pops in and out. I have tested a lot with no solutions.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I just started having the same problem yesterday. for me people seem to be able to hear me. The speaker on the phone starts out fine but then gets so quiet I can't hear them. The volume is all the way up and still it is very quiet. The problem does not exist if I use my blue tooth headset so I am still able to function day to day but this is for sure a phone issue.

Their voice starts fine for the first few words, disappears like volume turned to below lowest setting, then it pops in and out. I have tested a lot with no solutions.

Technically, you two have the exact opposite problem...

FWIW, I haven't noticed any issues with the phone on mine.

cp581

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
My issue is actually the opposite. I am talking on the phone and I cut out on the person on the other side shortly into the phone call. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens frequently. The call doesn't drop, my voice just cuts in and out for the person on the other end of the call. Has anybody else experienced this?

H3Dude

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This is funny. I have done this a couple of times. When i put my pinky down to support the phone during a call.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Janine Williams

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have the samsung s3, i can be having a conversation i can hear them, but they cant hear me, then it returns back to normal, The past week my calls have been dropping, took it to phones 4u and they said it needs to be sent off, which will take about 2 weeks :(

fredrbundos

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
After I'd had my S4 for a few weeks, I started having an intermittent problem with audio cutting out on phone calls. I would not be able to hear the other party unless I put the phone in Speaker mode (where it would work fine). [Note also that if headphones are plugged in, audio works fine.] I googled the issue and saw that previous Samsung phones had had similar problems. People offered various suggestions for fixes (including turning off noise reduction, lowering the volume, etc.), and nothing worked. Finally, I ran across a post somewhere where the problem had gone away after the user loaded the Skype app and made a test call. I did this, and although the Skype call didn't go through (I was calling my landline phone), I haven't had the problem since. (Knock on wood.) [Addendum: I enabled noise reduction, and it cut out again. I'll see whether disabling it keeps it working.][Addendum #2: Even with noise reduction disabled, the problem cropped up again. It's starting to look like a hardware problem. Regardless, I'm still experimenting. Latest efforts: remove sound control from Power Toggles app, lower in-call volume to below 50%, and experiment with the various "Personalize Call Sound" options.]

Last edited:

Peter Puttock

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

I am new to Android but have been a system developer for 30 years.
I have the same problem.... I have happily used my Nexus 7 for a year, with Skype. Since the recent update to lollipop my Skype calls drop the audio, so the other person (who is using Skype on a Mac), cannot hear me. So, for the first, say 10 minutes, everything is fine and then the audio stops. The video continues fine and their audio to me works fine. The time it takes is variable.

I also have a Samsung S4 with Android 4, and it works perfectly.

I also use Skype with the same person on a Windows laptop, and that works fine too.

So, I think it is something to do with the Lollipop upgrade, and/or Google sneaking into the system. I did see a posting somewhere about it being the voice recognition software taking control of the microphone.

To me, the annoying thing is how the social media companies are trying to infiltrate our lives.....

Whilst I am on.... how can I remove and shut down a running application? I did say I was quite new to Android!

Peter

Jennifer Saville

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with the other person cutting out. I tried downloading the skype app, did a test call and now it's not a problem anymore. Thanks for the tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87