soon to be S4 owner; tell me what to expect!

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
John, As a Rezound to S4 owner I can tell you it is night and day. for many aspects. I'll walk you through what i have done.

1) Battery, yeah this pretty much smokes the Rezound. Even with the 2700 battery i get 10+ hours tethering were the Rezound would get like 6 before i had to plug it in.
2) Speed, This seems to be hit or miss for most people. For me I did not have the lag most people speak of. Maybe because I did come from a Rezound that had a little of it already so this was a improvment to me. I also moved over to CleanRom from scott who made the Rezound such a joy to have also
3) The newest update. Most everyone I have seen on here after they have updated and factory reset are no longer having lag issues that they were complaining about. Since I'm rooted and Rom'd i haven't done this update
4) Signal Strength since I live 3.2 miles from the Verizon Towers my Rezond got 5 bars all the time. The S4 only gets 3. Now this could be how they do the formula or it could be that they do have issues with there signal. who know

anything else you want to know just ask
any issues with this overheating rumor? like I stated before, I'm sure it gets warm, they all do. but this, much more than any lag or screen issues, would be a killer for me. depending on where you read, some S4's are actually getting hot while charging.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
any issues with this overheating rumor? like I stated before, I'm sure it gets warm, they all do. but this, much more than any lag or screen issues, would be a killer for me. depending on where you read, some S4's are actually getting hot while charging.

Don't have that problem with my S4. Either they have a defective one, or they are just over reacting.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Expect the be blown away when you increase the brightness of your screen and see the true HD colours come to life and also be prepared to be blown away when you realise how thin and yet so powerful the phone is yet the size of the screen is beautiful. Now and then I'm always having to take off my plastic silicone case to view the beauty of the phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site

I have gotten it to heat up just once. I was charging while using Hotspot and was downloading a Rom from my Nexus 7

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i've had my S4 for 5 days now. all I can say is wow. coming from the Rezound, this phone is worlds apart. my biggest fear was the overheating that some people are/were having, and I have yet to feel this phone get past warm, even after 20 minutes of video streaming. the slight lag is there, but it doesn't bother me in the least. battery life has been phenomenal. my first full day with the phone, I turned off GPS and bluetooth, took it off the charger at 6:30 am. at 11:30pm, I still had 45% battery, and you know I was fiddling with the phone all day long. video streaming, Candy crushing, downloading apps from the market, etc. I did load up Google now, but noticed a serious pull on my battery life, so I disabled that ASAP. so far, the phone is everything I expected, and with my Spigen slim armor case, is well protected.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
As an S4 owner you should expect minutes, hours, days, and years of inexplicable Bliss. You'll find that you walk around with an otherwise unexplained smile...and people will be jealous. You will want to caress your S4 (it's okay). As an S4 owner you'll be doing your part to make the world a better place.

Not rooted, Stock rom, just Awesome (NSA)

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
As an S4 owner you should expect minutes, hours, days, and years of inexplicable Bliss. You'll find that you walk around with an otherwise unexplained smile...and people will be jealous. You will want to caress your S4 (it's okay). As an S4 owner you'll be doing your part to make the world a better place.

Not rooted, Stock rom, just Awesome (NSA)

my S4's name is Sophia. my wife is quite jealous. :)

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
This whole thread ticks me off. The other day my daughter came up to me, gave me the big brown eyes and said "Dad, I broke my S3." So now she has my S4 and I'm back to the DNA. Now, the DNA is a darn good phone. But it's not an S4 :) Especially now that the update is out! You'll love the S4. Put APex launcher on it to take advantage of that high density screen for a useful home screen, and you'll be a happy camper.

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Say "Daughter. Here's a Droid DNA. It's great. Don't break it or next you're getting a Blackberry. By the time that thing boots you'll be retired." and swap back. The Blackberry should scare her enough.

I'm actually getting my first Android phone in a long while with an S4 soon (sometime in August. It's a business thing so no idea when). I loved my Moto Droid when it first came out and I spent probably 200 hours tinkering with that thing while I had it, but went to iOS as I was over tinkering and just wanted a simple setup with decent performance.

Now I want to tinker again and we have an Android app we're about to put into public beta so I said "I want an S4!". Can't wait!

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
i've had my S4 for 5 days now. all I can say is wow. coming from the Rezound, this phone is worlds apart. my biggest fear was the overheating that some people are/were having, and I have yet to feel this phone get past warm, even after 20 minutes of video streaming. the slight lag is there, but it doesn't bother me in the least. battery life has been phenomenal. my first full day with the phone, I turned off GPS and bluetooth, took it off the charger at 6:30 am. at 11:30pm, I still had 45% battery, and you know I was fiddling with the phone all day long. video streaming, Candy crushing, downloading apps from the market, etc. I did load up Google now, but noticed a serious pull on my battery life, so I disabled that ASAP. so far, the phone is everything I expected, and with my Spigen slim armor case, is well protected.

How does the reception compare with the Rezound? I'm fixing to make the same move and that's the only area of the S4 that concerns me, although I'm probably concerned over nothing.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Say "Daughter. Here's a Droid DNA. It's great. Don't break it or next you're getting a Blackberry. By the time that thing boots you'll be retired." and swap back. The Blackberry should scare her enough.

I'm actually getting my first Android phone in a long while with an S4 soon (sometime in August. It's a business thing so no idea when). I loved my Moto Droid when it first came out and I spent probably 200 hours tinkering with that thing while I had it, but went to iOS as I was over tinkering and just wanted a simple setup with decent performance.

Now I want to tinker again and we have an Android app we're about to put into public beta so I said "I want an S4!". Can't wait!

Not a bad idea. I have a 9930 not doing anything... :) Or maybe a Z10 with the famous auto-reboot-when-you-least-expect-it feature.

That was bad. I really want the new BB to do well. It's a nice phone, if they can just get the software to work reliably.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
How does the reception compare with the Rezound? I'm fixing to make the same move and that's the only area of the S4 that concerns me, although I'm probably concerned over nothing.

it's at least equal to or better. I never had any issues with the rezound or even the T-bolt before it, but that may be due to my location (Kansas city). most people here have no issues whatsoever with signal strength or dropping in/out of LTE. at least those of us on verizon.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
This whole thread ticks me off. The other day my daughter came up to me, gave me the big brown eyes and said "Dad, I broke my S3." So now she has my S4 and I'm back to the DNA. Now, the DNA is a darn good phone. But it's not an S4 :) Especially now that the update is out! You'll love the S4. Put APex launcher on it to take advantage of that high density screen for a useful home screen, and you'll be a happy camper.

I almost sprung for the DNA, but I've had three HTC phones in a row. I figured it's time for a change. now, I haven't gotten the update yet, so I'm hoping it doesn't ruin what has been a great experience so far.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I almost sprung for the DNA, but I've had three HTC phones in a row. I figured it's time for a change. now, I haven't gotten the update yet, so I'm hoping it doesn't ruin what has been a great experience so far.

The update did nothing but improve the S4. There was some stuttering even after disabling a lot of stuff, but the new revision fixed that. You'll love it.

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
it's at least equal to or better. I never had any issues with the rezound or even the T-bolt before it, but that may be due to my location (Kansas city). most people here have no issues whatsoever with signal strength or dropping in/out of LTE. at least those of us on verizon.

Thanks, glad to hear it. My Rezound did really well before it stopped acting up, so if the S4 is equal I'll be very pleased.