Motorola Droid Pro - mistake to buy one now?

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it's currently free on Verizon right now. I understand that the phone is or will soon be discontinued.

My husband is not the least bit informed about technology, nor does he want to be. I'm the "tech support" in my household and want to find an Android replacement for my husband's Blackberry Tour. His BB is in fine condition, but I'd like to enable my husband to have access to some of the basic Android functionality/apps that I know he'll use (rather than calling me for a weather report or train schedule!). I know BB has some apps out there for some of these things, but I'm a dedicated Android user - DInc on release, and now Rezound - so it would be a snap for me to customize an android phone to suit his needs.

He absolutely needs a keyboard, so I think the build on the Droid Pro would meet his needs perfectly. He doesn't care about camera quality, ICS, high def, etc. He is a consultant who works for himself and uses his BB as his primary business phone and email, since he's out and about most of the time.

I don't see the lack of dev support for DPro being a huge issue for him, since, unlike me, he won't be waiting on the edge of his seat for the next release of this or that. So... what would be the down side of getting the free Droid Pro? Is it a step down in anyway from BB Tour or similar BB's? Does Verizon have a similar phone in the pipelines that I should be waiting for? Have considered the Stratosphere, but I don't think he'll like the landscape orientation.

metamike

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Narrow your choices down to a couple phones, then take him to the Verizon store to play with them. The Droid 3 is a nice phone and is supported. See if he can deal with using it landscape.

ecfinn

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I went from BB Tour to Droid 3 in September. I highly recommend a landscape slider keyboard phone in this case. I've since moved on to the RAZR MAXX and completely ditched the keyboard altogether but the landscape slider is IMO a better transition from BB b/c they have better keyboards than the droid pro.

tennvol

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I had a Pro and had to upgrade to a 4g phone since I needed a high speed tethering connection.

I personally love the Pro with the one exception of the backlight not working often. Hard to type when you can't see the keys.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I can't see why he wouldn't get used to landscape but he likes the form factor and he doesn't need/want 4G, the Pro isn't a bad choice. But I would rather have the Droid 4 if I needed a keyboard phone (Droid 3, if he needs global capability)

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
One other thing to consider is the keyboard layout. The tour is big and easier to use for a guy where the pro is more narrow where the d3 is bigger and moat likely an easier transition.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd buy a used DROID Pro off of Craigslist or eBay instead, save the upgrade for a fancier phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non