unlimited to share everything would save me $10-$15mo

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

This is purely a "What would you do?" question.

I have been warned in the past by a few here on these boards to *never* give up my unlimited plan. We currently have 1 smartphone + 1 dumbphone the 1400min / unlimited text and data plan which costs me after company discount and tax/svc fees round figures is $160 mo.

When I go into my account it lets me compare and shows my current at $128 and the S.E. would be $121 so that's only $9 difference which ain't all that much but it's something and I really hate my phone bill every month. Of course neither of those include tax/svc fees but as I can tell are after company discount applied.

I don't think I've ever used even 1G of data in a month so the 2G would probably be plenty for me.

Seems like eventually flat unlimited plans will be gone eventually ... at least that's my understanding. Neither of us needs a new phone we still have a year or more to go before either of us is eligible for an upgrade and if I got that right there aren't going to be subsidized phones anyway and I can't afford full price so I'll have to keep my Rezound FOREVER it looks like.

Are there any benefits I'm missing in keeping my current plan? Have I got the plan understanding correct? What would you do?

Thanks,
Deb

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how much not having to worry about going over data is worth to you. To me, the ability to go over without having to worry is worth 10 dollars per month extra.

If you're well under the 2 GB cap, you would get the benefit of unlimited calling (on the off chance you actually use that) as well as free hotspot. To me personally, the savings aren't worth it to me, but it might be to you.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It depends on how much not having to worry about going over data is worth to you. To me, the ability to go over without having to worry is worth 10 dollars per month extra.

If you're well under the 2 GB cap, you would get the benefit of unlimited calling (on the off chance you actually use that) as well as free hotspot. To me personally, the savings aren't worth it to me, but it might be to you.

How many GBs do you expect to go over?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

This is purely a "What would you do?" question.

I have been warned in the past by a few here on these boards to *never* give up my unlimited plan. We currently have 1 smartphone + 1 dumbphone the 1400min / unlimited text and data plan which costs me after company discount and tax/svc fees round figures is $160 mo.

When I go into my account it lets me compare and shows my current at $128 and the S.E. would be $121 so that's only $9 difference which ain't all that much but it's something and I really hate my phone bill every month. Of course neither of those include tax/svc fees but as I can tell are after company discount applied.

I don't think I've ever used even 1G of data in a month so the 2G would probably be plenty for me.

Seems like eventually flat unlimited plans will be gone eventually ... at least that's my understanding. Neither of us needs a new phone we still have a year or more to go before either of us is eligible for an upgrade and if I got that right there aren't going to be subsidized phones anyway and I can't afford full price so I'll have to keep my Rezound FOREVER it looks like.

Are there any benefits I'm missing in keeping my current plan? Have I got the plan understanding correct? What would you do?

Thanks,
Deb

If it saves you money, go for it.

Just make sure you monitor your usage.

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I wold check on the discount aspect a little closer my company discount while remaining the same percentage gets applied to a smaller portion of the bill resulting in a signiificant drop, As others say if it works for you you can do it and monitor your usage so you can add more money if needed, or you can stay unlimited and for 10 bucks be a little less worried, your call

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
How many GBs do you expect to go over?

Personally, I use 2-4 GB, so I don't have this issue. Shared Everything would cost me more. That being said, the chance to use more (and much more, if I so desire) would be worth a slightly larger monthly fee to me.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
We consistently use about half or a little more than half of our 1400 minutes. I would like to have the hotspot but not even sure I'd use it. I don't take my laptop or my Kindle anywhere. About the only place I'd need it would be a trip and I don't travel or a hospital visit and I haven't had to be incarcerated in a hospital in years. But if that happened I undoubtedly would exceed the data cap very quickly. My billing date is tomorrow but I guess there is no rush to switch by then - I need to think on this a little longer. Thanks for all your replies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Keep what you have. They can't make you switch

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Doesn't sound like the OP is being forced or pressured to switch.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
No pressure except for from myself. I'm interested in cutting costs without cutting my throat to do it is what this is all about.

Reactions: Ry

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if they will ever bring out the double data promotion on this share everything plan. I bet that would help push a lot of people that are on the fence into these new plans. It would probably get a lot of people that want to keep their unlimited data, but know they will never be able to afford a new phone(s) at full retail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if they will ever bring out the double data promotion on this share everything plan. I bet that would help push a lot of people that are on the fence into these new plans. It would probably get a lot of people that want to keep their unlimited data, but know they will never be able to afford a new phone(s) at full retail.

They would more than likely get me on that.

Sent from my rotary phone

Reactions: Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

That would probably make switching more appealing for me.

pcsperson

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Is it cost effective for VZW to do that? I have not use VZW before if they do that, are you under contract can you just jump on the new promo and extend your contract from that point?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe this bit I just got off the phone with Verizon. I thought I was a heavy user. But I don't stream video or watch movies. My heaviest use has been 4gig between my phone and my mifi. I am switching on July 22nd when my new month starts. Have chosen to go with 6gig. I get a corporate discount and will save around 30 a month. And free hot spot included.
I was reluctant but having talked to them and debating it was a logical move. Not throwing money away and to save 30 or so a month is good

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
When AT&T changed their plans for unlimited to 2GB, I changed both of my lines to the new plan. It saved me $10/mo, and I never use more than 1gb per month. Some people use and abuse their phones, when in reality, they could have jumped on WiFi and saved money.

It's similar to people who sign up for Triple Play promos through Verizon or Comcast, when in reality, they could save money by dropping home phone. "But I have a bundle, it would ruin my bundle."

People are content with what they have. Change is bad. Always. At least that's what people think.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had a home phone in years! I have to laugh. I was one of those back then. When something new is brought into play there will be a reaction that may not be positive. Takes awhile to get used to it and see possibly it might work. It may not work for everyone. But it will for me and had I not been open to checking it out I wouldn't know

Reactions: anon(3653)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When AT&T changed their plans for unlimited to 2GB, I changed both of my lines to the new plan. It saved me $10/mo, and I never use more than 1gb per month. Some people use and abuse their phones, when in reality, they could have jumped on WiFi and saved money.

It's similar to people who sign up for Triple Play promos through Verizon or Comcast, when in reality, they could save money by dropping home phone. "But I have a bundle, it would ruin my bundle."

People are content with what they have. Change is bad. Always. At least that's what people think.

"...we ALL bundle." Vonage.