Using bluetooth but my usage goes up?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me why if I'm using bluetooth my data usage has gone up? I thought things like wifi and mobile hotspot are the things that up your data consumption and that bluetooth had nothing to do with it.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
WiFi wouldn't up your data consumption...

What is it exactly that you're doing with bluetooth? Are you transferring files onto your phone and then your phone is automatically syncing those files to Google or Dropbox or something thus consuming data?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much just hanging out around here at android central boards, and going to some web sites. A little bit of email. I think I just answered my own question. I didn't use to spend this much time doing this on my phone. Duhhhh. Earth to Deb.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming this is in regards to your use of FoxFi we were chatting about yesterday.

If you are using your phone as a hotspot you are using your phone's data plan and any data counts against your plan.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Reactions: ShaggyKids and Ry

jac-3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
So what chews up more data, wifi or Bluetooth?

Sent from my Rezound via Tapatalk 2

Deb, wifi and BlueTooth are wireless protocols. If you have enabled wifi for your phone to connect to data, you shouldn't be using up data plan bandwidth.

If you are using BT, it depends on what you are doing with BT. If you have a tablet/laptop tethered using BT, then the data that the tehered device uses goes against your plan. (Also if you are tethering using wifi).

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
They use the same amount of data if you are using them for tethering. They are just different ways of completing the same task... allowing your other devices to use your phone's data plan. What counts is the amount of cellular data you are using. Every byte you allow your tethered devices to use counts against your data plan whether you connect via Bluetooth, WiFi, or USB cable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow usb cable too! They get you coming and going. Thanks for your replies everyone.

Not sure why you'd expect USB tethering to not count against usage. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow usb cable too! They get you coming and going. Thanks for your replies everyone.

Remember that you're being charged for the Internet and data that you use over the cell phone's wireless radio. However you happen to connect that radio to your device, whether it be the cell phone itself or an attached device, it's the same amount of data.

If you are using one of their towers, they want their money.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

smehre

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I have consistently stayed below half a GB of data with my phone. I listen to a lot of books on tape. I download them on my home Wi-fi, then listen to them where ever I am without the use of Wi-fi. I started using a BT speaker device to listen, which seems to coincide with doubling my data usage.

I keep reading and hearing that BT doesn't increase data usage, if I'm not streaming. Any ideas why my data usage would have increased so greatly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87