Killing Unlimited Data for good...What do you think?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about this recently since I am in the process of getting a slightly used Galaxy Nexus for my 2nd---3g only Droid X line--to keep unlimited data.
I've seen many threads on here about different situations rationals for giving up unlimited data, but I know what it's like to go over 10-15 GB in a month and I'll definitely be keeping mine as long as possible.

Basically, the people that have given up on unlimited data fall into 3 groups:
1) Those that just want to save money and don't realize or think they could over go over 2 GB
2) Those that are reluctant to give it up but really want to save money.
3) Those that lose it through upgrading and/or a slick salesman and don't realize it's gone until it is too late.

I realize for families, it may not be feasible to pay full retail for 3+ Iphone 5s, so giving up unlimited becomes a forced necessity. I also understand that for some families, it may be hard to justify paying an extra $50 per month so one user can keep unlimited data, while users 2-4 will never go over.

However, my lines are both singles and completely independent of each other. The dirty secret about share everything is that it really doesn't offer any savings to single line plans. Considering that if I buy a used phone, I am saving Verizon a $320 phone subsidy ($350-$30 upgrade fee), I am spending an extra $13 per month over the life of my 2 year contract.

Since Verizon is doing everything they can to get people off of unlimited data now, does anyone think, they may just allow those that have unlimited data to just keep it, since the number with those that have unlimited will probably go down every year?

Assuming the numer is managable enough and those that have it are out of contract and still generating revenue for Verizon, will they just choose to let sleeping dogs lie, lest they go to another network?

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is an interesting topic because we saw the swing from lots of unlimited plans, to tiered only, and now some moving back to an unlimited option. I think as more people get on the data intense devices with faster speeds, the demand for unlimited (or at the very least, higher tiers for less money) will increase.

I can understand the issue of carriers not having the capacity for everyone to be unlimited. My hope is that they all will increase capacity so that affordable unlimited will come back. Until then, I made the choice that coverage my #1 concern because I travel some pretty back woods places, and made adjustments on my usage so I could make do with a 4 Gig plan on my phone and a generous 20 Gig offer on my air card for a great price. I guess I'm in another category, where I left unlimited out of necessity... And because Sprint kicked me off their unlimited plan for going over usage too much. Yeah, explain that one. Lol

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
No one can say what the future holds. Personally I will be very surprised if Verizon does not start throttling their unlimited customers by next summer. I would bet the throttling will start after 4-5 GB per month. This may not happen, but as more 3G android users upgrade to LTE Android phones and iPhone 5s start using LTE, Verizon will be looking to keep performance up on their network.

As far as your why people switch - many people are very well aware of how much data they use per month. I have 3 smart phones and a tablet on my family plan and I know very well how much we use. We currently are not on a family share plan but will probably switch over in the next few months. No one on our family plan has ever gone over 2 GB per month and yes we use are phones a lot. I just don't see any point in streaming long videos to my phone. So yes the lower plans will work very well for me and my family.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am saving 30 a month. I do have 6gig plan. I like having the safety factor. I have used 4gig. It is just me but I am glad I did switch.

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I go over 20 gb regularly, are you sure you know what "use our phones a lot" really means?

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
No one can say what the future holds. Personally I will be very surprised if Verizon does not start throttling their unlimited customers by next summer. I would bet the throttling will start after 4-5 GB per month. This may not happen, but as more 3G android users upgrade to LTE Android phones and iPhone 5s start using LTE, Verizon will be looking to keep performance up on their network.

As far as your why people switch - many people are very well aware of how much data they use per month. I have 3 smart phones and a tablet on my family plan and I know very well how much we use. We currently are not on a family share plan but will probably switch over in the next few months. No one on our family plan has ever gone over 2 GB per month and yes we use are phones a lot. I just don't see any point in streaming long videos to my phone. So yes the lower plans will work very well for me and my family.

Your example is why I don't think vzw will start throttling unlimited users. Everyday subscribers are giving up their unlimited plans. Every time a hot new phone is launched thousands give up unlimited data for the upgrade price of the new device.
The problem is solving itself through natural attrition.
Those that stay on unlimited data are longtime loyal customers that are sensitive to this issue and more likely to leave for a carrier that provided unlimited data.
Data will go the way of landline and then cellular voice once capacity is built out.
Calls were expensive and billed by the minute before going to bulk or tiered pricing. Now almost all local and long distant landline calls in the continental US are unlimited for a flat rate.
Cellular plans are approaching that point now and data is a few years behind. Sprint and T-Mobile have it now and once their networks catch up with LTE, Vzw & AT&T will not have a huge advantage. At that point they will have to offer unlimited plans to keep customers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
When I came over from Sprint, I gave up my unlimited data to get the benefit of better coverage + LTE speeds. I got 10GB during the double data promo, which works out well. That's me as a consumer.

As a retailer, we don't have to trick people out of their unlimited data. For 90% of people, if you pull up their usage, they'll see that they don't use very much, and won't mind changing. Those are the people who don't frequent boards like this though, so obviously that won't be the case for everyone.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Your example is why I don't think vzw will start throttling unlimited users. Everyday subscribers are giving up their unlimited plans. Every time a hot new phone is launched thousands give up unlimited data for the upgrade price of the new device.
The problem is solving itself through natural attrition.
Those that stay on unlimited data are longtime loyal customers that are sensitive to this issue and more likely to leave for a carrier that provided unlimited data.
Data will go the way of landline and then cellular voice once capacity is built out.
Calls were expensive and billed by the minute before going to bulk or tiered pricing. Now almost all local and long distant landline calls in the continental US are unlimited for a flat rate.
Cellular plans are approaching that point now and data is a few years behind. Sprint and T-Mobile have it now and once their networks catch up with LTE, Vzw & AT&T will not have a huge advantage. At that point they will have to offer unlimited plans to keep customers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

If Sprint and T-Mobile catch up to Verizon and AT&T that will change the landscape a lot in the US. Right now I don't see that happening unless both are willing to spend a lot more than they have currently stated they plan to spend. AT&T is pending 10x what Sprint is spending to build their LTE network. Initial reports from Sprint users are promising in the limited areas where their network has been updated - but right now there is almost no load on the Sprint LTE network. We will know more by next summer how well both T-Mobile and Sprint are doing on upgrading their networks.

As for Verizon - who knows what the future holds. But if the network starts getting saturated then I see throttling happening very quickly.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I talked to a rep tonight in the store and we all know that they are 100% reliable in the store! He said rumor has it in may Verizon switch all out of contract unlimited data users to 2GB plans.

xDetoursX

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
It all comes down to coverage. I'm not sure which way it will go, but I'm willing to bet that if T-Mobile and Sprint had the coverage and competitive speeds that Verizon has, they would dump their unlimited plans fairly quickly. It's easy to offer unlimited data when a very small percentage of subscribers are even capable of accessing it. Different story if your customer base is increased substantially which would happen if their coverage was on par with Verizon's.

awiz

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Is your 10gb grandfathered in now or will you lose that during your next upgrade? I'm guessing it will be gone.

I'm wondering the same about the double data deals. If you're not on contract, it seems that could be dumped at any time. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to switch from unlimited at a time when double data is available, based on the premise that unlimited will end in about 6 months.

I need to check out the double-data deal, I know it's being offered for a limited time, don't know what the terms and conditions are.

EDIT: Never mind - the current double data is only if you buy a 3G phone on a pre-paid plan. Maybe that will be helpful for some though. (Verizon moves double data promotion to prepaid: $80 plan now includes 2 GB - FierceWireless)

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
My girlfriend has the double data plan (4 GB) and was told if she upgrades then she'll be forced onto a 2 GB plan. We won't be upgrading for a while then.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I talked to a rep tonight in the store and we all know that they are 100% reliable in the store! He said rumor has it in may Verizon switch all out of contract unlimited data users to 2GB plans.
The way to stay in contract with an unlimited VZN line is to do an alternative upgrade by adding a line and switching the unlimited line's upgrade to that line. That will renew the contract on the unlimited line for 2 years.