[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

To avoid all the data restrictions just switch to Sprint if coverage is good where you live. Unlimited for life!

Sent from a device beyond your wildest dreams!

No thanks. I'm good with Verizon and Unlimited Data.

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 4

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

so i got my G2 today....but it refuses to activate. my brother picked it up in stores and didn't activate it...but it just will not activate here. at first, it kept failing and telling me to restart. but now it is just hanging on the activation screen...going on 10 minutes now with nothing. is this normal?

So when you activated it you did it online?
To activate you log into the Verizon website, go to "Activate or Switch Device", select your brothers line, check "Activate Device", "I am activating a device that I have not used with this account", enter Device ID, then it may ask for SIM number and then activate it. If your brothers SIM from his iPhone fits you might just use his SIM.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I have the same plan you do and when I try to add a second line and phone I get the unlimited is no longer available statement and they try to get me to buy a share everything plan. If this was works for you let me know how.

Sent from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2.

Yes, unlimited is no longer available for new lines. The strategy for adding another line is so you can get a subsidized phone when you get a new line, and you can also transfer upgrades from your unlimited data lines to this new line to execute the upgrade on that new line without losing unlimited data on the original line. Then you transfer new phone back to the unlimited line.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

To avoid all the data restrictions just switch to Sprint if coverage is good where you live. Unlimited for life!

Yes, when T-Mobile and Sprint improve their 4G networks to be viable alternatives perhaps then we wouldn't have to jump through all these loops. Believe me I'm keeping my eye on T-mobile, with unlimited data, network expanding quickly with AT&T settlement money, support for unlocked Nexus phones and Verizon not blocking phone features. Or at least the competition will stop Verizon from acting like a monopoly.

kajinofe

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if I can get that Verizon30 retroactive to my orders last week. Hmmm...

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Have you tried getting Verizon to apply that VERIZON30 $60 off promo code after the fact? I've been chatting with 3 different reps from vzw.com site and all 3 of them said they don't see it on their system, and hence they won't be able to give it to me since it didn't come from Verizon... Anyone attempted to do this?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sprint has different restrictions, I believe you can only roam 100mb,and also do not have a plan with unlimited hotspot, officially speaking .

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried getting Verizon to apply that VERIZON30 $60 off promo code after the fact? I've been chatting with 3 different reps from vzw.com site and all 3 of them said they don't see it on their system, and hence they won't be able to give it to me since it didn't come from Verizon... Anyone attempted to do this?

What is the Verizon30 discount? I've seen it mentioned but don't know of details. I searched my email and didn't find anything from Verizon. Is it for new lines only or for upgrades too? When does it expire? Do you just enter verizon30 in the checkout window somewhere?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It works online only, expires 9/30. There are some links in the moto x thread.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

thefairman

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

So when you activated it you did it online?
To activate you log into the Verizon website, go to "Activate or Switch Device", select your brothers line, check "Activate Device", "I am activating a device that I have not used with this account", enter Device ID, then it may ask for SIM number and then activate it. If your brothers SIM from his iPhone fits you might just use his SIM.

i picked up the phone at the store. left unactivated. tried to turn it on and activate it. no dice. will using his SIM be bad? because the SIM will fit (i actually used my other brother's tiered line with a GS3 once i found out it was a micro SIM not nano).

the device WILL NOT activate. i went to the store to try and get it activated there and the woman dealing with me was very upset that the device left the store unactivated AND then told me it's against company policy to do what i wanted (they wanted to push the Alternate Upgrade. i told them to shove it, in much nicer words).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

i picked up the phone at the store. left unactivated. tried to turn it on and activate it. no dice. will using his SIM be bad? because the SIM will fit (i actually used my other brother's tiered line with a GS3 once i found out it was a micro SIM not nano).

the device WILL NOT activate. i went to the store to try and get it activated there and the woman dealing with me was very upset that the device left the store unactivated AND then told me it's against company policy to do what i wanted (they wanted to push the Alternate Upgrade. i told them to shove it, in much nicer words).

If you updated on another line it should be activated in that line first.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

You should be able to use his SIM and it will associate that phone with his account. You should be able to add the MEID to his line using the method I described above. Is the a Gmail account already associated with the phone. I had a similar problem activating because I had already set up a gmail account on it using Wifi. You need to do a factory reset and clear the data before you can activate a phone on a new line.

thefairman

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

You should be able to use his SIM and it will associate that phone with his account. You should be able to add the MEID to his line using the method I described above. Is the a Gmail account already associated with the phone. I had a similar problem activating because I had already set up a gmail account on it using Wifi. You need to do a factory reset and clear the data before you can activate a phone on a new line.

not as far as i know. the phone turns on and goes straight to activation (which then fails). i've been able to add the IMEI number online using the method you described -- it then tells me to use his old SIM in the new phone and let it roll. did that but it is still trying to activate (been about 5 minutes as of this update). just a "Please wait for activation..."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

not as far as i know. the phone turns on and goes straight to activation (which then fails). i've been able to add the IMEI number online using the method you described -- it then tells me to use his old SIM in the new phone and let it roll. did that but it is still trying to activate (been about 5 minutes as of this update). just a "Please wait for activation..."

Is the old phone off?

thefairman

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Is the old phone off?

yes. battery and SIM are out of the old phone. this G2 is just "Please wait for activation" for now ~10 minutes; i changed out the factory SIM to my brother's SIM.

my older brother had no problem doing this with Verizon 1 month ago, though he notes he did it ALL online, no putzing around in a store (i had my brother pick up the phone in store and then i went to the store to attempt to speed things up). he contends this is why it is failing for me.

after this activation fails, i'm just gonna return the phone and eat the $35 restocking fee. oh well.

thefairman

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

yes. battery and SIM are out of the old phone. this G2 is just "Please wait for activation" for now ~10 minutes; i changed out the factory SIM to my brother's SIM.

my older brother had no problem doing this with Verizon 1 month ago, though he notes he did it ALL online, no putzing around in a store (i had my brother pick up the phone in store and then i went to the store to attempt to speed things up). he contends this is why it is failing for me.

after this activation fails, i'm just gonna return the phone and eat the $35 restocking fee. oh well.

scratch that! phone just activated after restarting!

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

That's great. Congratulations. Now just put your brothers original phone on that line to free it up. Go online and and follow the same process to put his phone back on that line to free it up. Then put new phone on unlimited line.

Posted via Android Central App

thefairman

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

That's great. Congratulations. Now just put your brothers original phone on that line to free it up. Go online and and follow the same process to put his phone back on that line to free it up. Then put new phone on unlimited line.

Posted via Android Central App

yup. already put his GS3 back on. just waiting for MyVerizon to update before i activate the G2 on my account.

thefairman

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

everything is now good to go. phone is working, unlimited is kept.

many tthanks to all yall in this topic. keep on rocking.

toastayy

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Yes, unlimited is no longer available for new lines. The strategy for adding another line is so you can get a subsidized phone when you get a new line, and you can also transfer upgrades from your unlimited data lines to this new line to execute the upgrade on that new line without losing unlimited data on the original line. Then you transfer new phone back to the unlimited line.

So I think I'm still confused. So I go to vzw website and click add a line. I add an unsubsidized phone let's say moto x. They then take me to a page telling me unlimited data is no longer available and asks me to pick from overpriced data plans. Are these data plans for both phone or only one? I was under the impression it was for both the original and new phone I chose and therefore they would remove the unlimited from the way plan.

Sent from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2.