Thoughts on Possible Way to Avoid 2yr Data Plan Requirement if You have 2 Basic Lines

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I know none of us will know for sure how this will all work until after 8/24/14, but I would like feedback on my idea.

Let’s say I have a legacy family account with 1 UDP and 2 basic lines:

Line 1 – UDP upgrade eligible
Line 2 – basic upgrade eligible
Line 3 – basic not upgrade eligible

First, if I transfer UDP Line 1’s upgrade to basic Line 3, it seems like since UDP Line 1’s contract will be extended, it is UDP Line 1 that will be stuck with the 2yr data commitment. Thoughts on this?

Second, at the time I order the new smartphone, I select the 2GB plan for basic Line 3. However, this plan cannot go into effect until I put a smartphone on basic Line 3, correct? If so, once I receive the new smartphone, I activate it on UDP Line 1 using UDP Line 1’s old SIM card. This will allow me to keep UDP on UDP Line 1 without ever having put a smartphone on basic Line 3. And the 2GB plan should never show up on basic Line 3 because no smartphone was ever activated on basic Line 3. I may be stuck with a pending activation on basic Line 3, not sure. Thoughts on this?

Now what would happen if I transferred basic Line 2’s upgrade to basic Line 3 and did the same thing – i.e., ordered a smartphone but when it came activated it using UDP Line 1’s SIM card? Basic Line 2’s contract would be extended but since basic Line 2 does not have a data plan on it and no smartphone was ever activated on basic Line 3, wouldn’t the 2GB data plan on basic Line 3 never go into effect? And I don't see how they could put a data plan on basic Line 2 since I never ordered a smartphone on basic Line 2 nor did I select a data plan for basic Line 2. Thoughts on this?

All of this is predicated on my understanding that the 2GB plan doesn’t go into effect until you put a smartphone on the basic line, but if I am wrong about that, please let me know.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
the leaked verizon memos say if you return the phone within 14 days you won't be stuck with the 2yr commitment to the data plan so there is no risk in trying.

You would still be out the $35 restocking fee, if you return it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I know none of us will know for sure how this will all work until after 8/24/14, but I would like feedback on my idea.

Let’s say I have a legacy family account with 1 UDP and 2 basic lines:

Line 1 – UDP upgrade eligible
Line 2 – basic upgrade eligible
Line 3 – basic not upgrade eligible

First, if I transfer UDP Line 1’s upgrade to basic Line 3, it seems like since UDP Line 1’s contract will be extended, it is UDP Line 1 that will be stuck with the 2yr data commitment. Thoughts on this?

Second, at the time I order the new smartphone, I select the 2GB plan for basic Line 3. However, this plan cannot go into effect until I put a smartphone on basic Line 3, correct? If so, once I receive the new smartphone, I activate it on UDP Line 1 using UDP Line 1’s old SIM card. This will allow me to keep UDP on UDP Line 1 without ever having put a smartphone on basic Line 3. And the 2GB plan should never show up on basic Line 3 because no smartphone was ever activated on basic Line 3. I may be stuck with a pending activation on basic Line 3, not sure. Thoughts on this?

Now what would happen if I transferred basic Line 2’s upgrade to basic Line 3 and did the same thing – i.e., ordered a smartphone but when it came activated it using UDP Line 1’s SIM card? Basic Line 2’s contract would be extended but since basic Line 2 does not have a data plan on it and no smartphone was ever activated on basic Line 3, wouldn’t the 2GB data plan on basic Line 3 never go into effect? And I don't see how they could put a data plan on basic Line 2 since I never ordered a smartphone on basic Line 2 nor did I select a data plan for basic Line 2. Thoughts on this?

All of this is predicated on my understanding that the 2GB plan doesn’t go into effect until you put a smartphone on the basic line, but if I am wrong about that, please let me know.

We won't know for sure how this will play out until the policy goes into effect. They could force the data plan on the line the upgrade came from similar to how they force the upgrade on the original line. If you want to use it, do it now and activate before the change . otherwise, you are taking a risk.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
We won't know for sure how this will play out until the policy goes into effect.
yeah, I know we will have to wait to know for sure. I was mostly wondering about my point that the 2GB plan doesn’t go into effect until you put a smartphone on the basic line. Is that how it works now?

If you want to use it, do it now and activate before the change . otherwise, you are taking a risk.
I don't have a basic line upgrade right now. I only have 1 basic line and thinking about adding a second one before the 25th in case this is an option.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It'll really be interesting, since the memos say the data requirement must be a $30 minimum data plan.
If you transfer an upgrade from a UDP line to a basic line, will the UDP line get the data requirement, but also be forced into a $30 data plan since $29.99 Unlimited plan is less than $30?

Verizon would love that.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
It'll really be interesting, since the memos say the data requirement must be a $30 minimum data plan.

If you transfer an upgrade from a UDP line to a basic line, will the UDP line get the data requirement, but also be forced into a $30 data plan since $29.99 Unlimited plan is less than $30?

Verizon would love that.
that would hugely suck. But at least we would still have the BB method, but who knows for how long.

found the entire memo here.

Last edited:

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
And amazon method
it works with any 3rd party retailer, but BB was the first one it was discovered with because they have the keep existing plan option so your customer agreement says keep existing plan rather than 2GB and amazon could invoke the $400 secondary etf.

Works with costco, too, but costco doesn't have the risk of the $400 secondary etf.

There is the flying arrow method, too that I hope if people try they will report their results.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that when you upgrade a basic line, the 2GB data plan doesn’t go into effect until you put a smartphone on the basic line. Is that how it works now?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I know we will have to wait to know for sure. I was mostly wondering about my point that the 2GB plan doesn’t go into effect until you put a smartphone on the basic line. Is that how it works now?
Currently, you can put a dumb phone on the old individual or family share plan and remove the data charge all together. You can put a smartphone on, pay the data plan, put a dumb phone on, remove the data plan.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Currently, you can put a dumb phone on the old individual or family share plan and remove the data charge all together. You can put a smartphone on, pay the data plan, put a dumb phone on, remove the data plan.
right but if you have a basic phone line and use it's upgrade to buy a smartphone and pick a 2GB data plan, what happens now if you never activate the new smartphone on the basic line and instead activate the new smartphone on a UDP or tiered data plan line? Does the 2GB data plan stay on the basic line if no smartphone is ever put on the basic line?

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
right but if you have a basic phone line and use it's upgrade to buy a smartphone and pick a 2GB data plan, what happens now if you never activate the new smartphone on the basic line and instead activate the new smartphone on a UDP or tiered data plan line? Does the 2GB data plan stay on the basic line if no smartphone is ever put on the basic line?
You talking about before or after 8/24?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik