Verizon $300 credit

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
So I've been eyeing a new phone but the problem is that I have payments on my LG G4 until August of 2017. I have $495 remaining.

What I did was I bought an iPhone 6 plus August of 2015 then sold it on eBay for $500 in February of 2016. Then I bought a brand new opened box G4 on Swappa for $300. Not a bad deal.

I took a chance with this phone because of the possibility of it developing the dreaded Bootloop issue. It was manufactured in 10/2015 so I have a later model that will hopefully be ok. But of course there are no guarantees that it won't. Hence the reason I've been looking for ways to get a different phone without having to pay anything extra.

So, Verizon is offering a $300 credit for my phone if I trade it in and get a Samsung device. It doesn't include the Note 7 yet. I'm guessing they're just trying to sell more S7's and Note 5's because they know once the Note 7 is available, not just for preorder, the other ones aren't going to sell as well.

Well, you can see that I will end up paying an additional $200 to upgrade to pay off my current phone. I've obviously already spent the $200 I made when I sold my 6 plus.

I've also been looking at switching over to T-Mobile and doing the uncarrier thing. They will pay off my device and I can get a new phone through them. The issue is that I will end up paying more with my wife staying with Verizon on a single line plan and myself on a single line plan on T-Mobile. With less data. We would have to both drop down to the 2gb plans.

There are also other ways for me to switch phones but one of these two options seems to be easier than having to sell my phone and then buy another one. The resale value on my G4 sucks. So I'd either have to pay more for a comparable phone or go with an older device.

I keep hoping and praying that my G4 won't be affected by the Bootloop issue, but I can't help but think about it almost every day.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It should be covered under manufacturer warranty within 1 year. After that, If you are only worried about bootloop, you can add extended warranty for $3/mo, no deductible right now during open enrollment. There is no deductible for the extended warranty. Keep in mind that this is only for manufacturers defects, not loss, theft, or physical /water damage. It is currently open enrollment until September 15th.

There might be a wait period... So if you want extended warranty, I would add it now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also if you want something cheap, the amazon moto g4 is $125 for prime members. It is very usable for moderate users.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
A few gotchas with the trade-in amount...

1) it is not cash money, rather bill credit.

2) it cannot be redeemed at time of purchase as a down-payment on the new device.

3) it only applies if you pay full retail... payment plan is OK, but no (subsidized) contract pricing. The value drops to $85 in that case (at least for my G4).

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
With all the new mid range phones coming out that are really good for half the price of the Note 7, it makes me want to hang on to my G4 for one more year to pay it off and then buy an unlocked mid range phone. Then I could choose which carrier offered the best value and coverage.

It's really surprising how quickly one year passes. It seems that it was just August of last year when I upgraded my phone.

For the most part I'm happy with my device. I just have to stop looking at all the new phones coming out.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With all the new mid range phones coming out that are really good for half the price of the Note 7, it makes me want to hang on to my G4 for one more year to pay it off and then buy an unlocked mid range phone. Then I could choose which carrier offered the best value and coverage.

It's really surprising how quickly one year passes. It seems that it was just August of last year when I upgraded my phone.

For the most part I'm happy with my device. I just have to stop looking at all the new phones coming out.
You can go with last year's flagship too... I bough a few Verizon Samsung Galaxy s6 edge a few months ago for $200 brand new. I have seen refurbished Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5 for around $350.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
That's tempting. But I'd have to sell mine first. And I don't think the value of my LG G4 would be enough to make up for it. Plus, my phone is in pristine condition and I might be getting something that has more wear and scratches on it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's tempting. But I'd have to sell mine first. And I don't think the value of my LG G4 would be enough to make up for it. Plus, my phone is in pristine condition and I might be getting something that has more wear and scratches on it.

The s6 edge was brand spanking new at $200.

Can't say how the refurbished Note 5 was but I bought a few best buy refurbished iphone se 64gb for $229 ... Not a scratch on any of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress