First Unlocked phone, questions

harrison17

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My old Droid Maxx isn't working the greatest anymore and I'm looking at buying an unlocked Pixel from the Google store. I've never purchased an unlocked phone and have some questions hopefully someone can help with.
First I have unlimited data because of an old Alltel plan. I bought the Maxx outright and didn't have any problems keeping unlimited data. I'm guessing it works the same with the Pixel? Pop in the SIM I have now and good to go?
Second, insurance. Can I keep Assurion insurance with my plan since it wasn't a phone purchased from Verizon? Is it better to get the protection plan from Google when I buy the phone? If I can keep Assurion what happens if I have to file a claim? Would I get a Verizon replacement or would they replace with the Google version?

Thanks for the help!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First I have unlimited data because of an old Alltel plan. I bought the Maxx outright and didn't have any problems keeping unlimited data. I'm guessing it works the same with the Pixel? Pop in the SIM I have now and good to go?
Yes. The phone that the SIM is in shouldn't trigger anything (although you can never tell with Verizon's unlimited plan).

Second, insurance. Can I keep Assurion insurance with my plan since it wasn't a phone purchased from Verizon? Is it better to get the protection plan from Google when I buy the phone? If I can keep Assurion what happens if I have to file a claim? Would I get a Verizon replacement or would they replace with the Google version?
Call Assurion to make sure about how they handle the Google version. You can insure with them, or with Google, but make sure you understand both plans so you can make your choice.

harrison17

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely double check with assurion. From my understanding they do not cover non Verizon devices.

Yes. The phone that the SIM is in shouldn't trigger anything (although you can never tell with Verizon's unlimited plan).

Call Assurion to make sure about how they handle the Google version. You can insure with them, or with Google, but make sure you understand both plans so you can make your choice.

Thanks for the help. I called them and the guy didn't sound very confident. He said that if Verizon carried the phone they would cover it, but if I filed a claim it would "probably" be replaced by a Verizon version (which I was kind of figuring). I don't think I need an unlocked bootloader....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It is somewhat tricky... I put a Moto g4 on my line and it automatically removed insurance.when I took the g4 off,it wouldn't let me add it back.

harrison17

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
It is somewhat tricky... I put a Moto g4 on my line and it automatically removed insurance.when I took the g4 off,it wouldn't let me add it back.

I don't think I want find out if it will work or not from the Google store. I can't justify not having a phone that expensive without a protection plan that includes loss or theft for the life of the phone. Guess I'll be buying from Verizon

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
That is my same issue. If I pay out for a 128GB Pixel I like the ability to get a refurbished one if something goes wrong and VZW handles it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa