If your Optimus V broke today...

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been asking myself the following question lately...

If my Optimus V dropped on the floor and broke today, or just failed electronically, what would I do?

The options on VM right now are slim, and I'd not like to drop any money on any of their current phones. But I'd also not want to give up my $25 plan for another carrier.

So what would YOU do?

I imagine I'd just take the pain and buy another OV, though moving to T-Mobile wouldn't be off the table either.

So again, if your trusty OV died today, what would your next move be?

Sent via VM670

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Hail to the V!

Nah.. I'd probably buy another V.. maybe a slider if I could find one cheap enough but I like messing with the V's roms...

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If mine broke today, I would give it a funeral. It served me well.
After that, if I ABSOLUTELY had to replace it, I would wait for a good sale on them or watch Craigslist for one.

I have the ability to wait though since it's only a toy.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Just switched from my Slider (PS its for sale in the maketplace right now) back to the V - so Slider is out. Use my GPS often - so the Triumph is out.

Looks like it woud be another OV for me as well.

Man - VM really needs a nice high end phone. but the V is a pretty sweet spot (man i love double entendre) sp?

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd have to go with the Triumph. My wife upgraded and got a good one first try. She ran it stock for a couple weeks, just to make sure it didn't have any problems, then let me root it and install the CM7 rom. It's now running overclocked at 1.6GHZ and is a real beast. The only reason she bought one was one too many drops on the OV, she's kind of rough on phones. Mine is still running fine without problems so I don't see myself buying a new phone any time soon, but if something does happen, I'll have to go with the Triumph.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There has been a rumor going around that VM is dropping the Optimus line and going with Chinese ZTE phones.

Wouldn't surprise me but may be a good move since it would make prices more in tune with VMs customer base (just look at the ZTE warp on Boost and what you get for its cost).

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd probably save up for a Triumph and hope desperately that Virgin Mobile would get some better hardware before I had to make the leap. Then when I had the cash I'd either get the updated device or buy the Triumph and hope that the community R0Ms really do fix everything. I know there are some issues with the HDMI out on community R0Ms, but since I have no HDMI capable displays I'm not all that concerned with that at the moment.

Of course, the difference is that I have a grandfathered $25mo plan and Virgin Mobile has been good to me. About the only real fault I have with their service is the occasional downtime for 3G (which has happened less and less lately) and the spam callers\texts from the previous owner of the number I have. Considering its been mine for over five years now, you'd think they'd had gotten a clue...

--bornagainpenguin

ehoser

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I still get voicemail and texts for other people and I've had my VM number for 8 or 9 years.

I signed up for gMail when it first came out but hadn't logged in in years. When I got my OV I logged in and had a bunch of emails for someone with my first initial and last name mostly from his wife and kids. You think they would have figured that one out.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i already upgraded to the triumph, and the community roms DO rock. ICS is daily driver status, just missing the cameras (fixed very soon)

aside from that, if it broke. I have a few friends offering to sell me GsIIs from tmobile and stuff for pennies on the dollar of what id get on craigslist.

id consider moving to Tmobile again on their prepaid, but they sure have a lot of bad stuff in the fine print. also, id be paying double what im paying now.... and i get good VM speeds.

short run, going to tmobile with a friends GSII would be cheaper at first, but expensive in a few short months time, in the long run, buying a new triumph and sticking with my VM plan would be more expensive up front, but cheaper over time. i hope i dont have to make that choice anytime soon!! haha

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
If they somehow released a true fix for the GPS, I'd have no issue getting a Triumph. But that GPS stuff is a deal breaker. I use it almost every day, and I've found I often have to turn it on last second to find what I'm looking for. The Optimus V has zero trouble getting GPS up and running in a matter of seconds. I couldn't deal with having to wait minutes upon minutes to get a lock.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I would honestly probably go back to my sucky rumor touch, and wait it out for VM to get a better phone. Then after a week of realizing how bad the rumor touch is, I'd buy a triumph. I rarely use GPS, so its not really an issue for me.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.2'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I am torn between a triumph or getting a cheap HTC evo 4g and porting it to vm (Google it) I have had 2 evos lined up now for under $100 but both deals fell through. I'm starting to take it as a sign and keep my ov a while longer

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If they somehow released a true fix for the GPS, I'd have no issue getting a Triumph. But that GPS stuff is a deal breaker. I use it almost every day, and I've found I often have to turn it on last second to find what I'm looking for. The Optimus V has zero trouble getting GPS up and running in a matter of seconds. I couldn't deal with having to wait minutes upon minutes to get a lock.

the gps problem is hit or miss, if u get a triumph with that problem, return it and the replacement most likely wont have it.

my MT is a good one and has none of the usual problems

the gps is as quick as my ov, and yes, i use it nearly 24/7 as well. bus schedules, driving directions, local places, street view when delivering stuff, i need gps to work, and mine does it great. no complaints.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
the gps problem is hit or miss, if u get a triumph with that problem, return it and the replacement most likely wont have it.

Some stores get really picky about that. Best Buy being one of them.
Too many returns and they will ban you from the store, I take too much back as it is.

Buy another Optimus V. It's a wonderful phone with an awesome community behind it.

It's a fairly small community, but a dedicated one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member