HTC One V

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Looking at some other forums, this phone looks worse and worse.

The battery seems to be a major issue with devs especially. How many times have all of you needed to pull the battery? Devs will shy away from this because it will simply be too difficult to recover from bad flashes. Messing with it is just asking to brick it. Yes, you could wait for the battery to die, but these batteries are damaged or destroyed by doing that. That isn't to say there won't be people modding it, but it will be quite limited.

Another thing to consider is that Virgin WILL be rolling out 4g phones in 4-10 months. They initially claimed 4, but it looks like it may have been pushed back. This phone DOES NOT support 4g, and you will be wanting that. Kind of silly to spend $200+ on a phone and have to replace it in 5 or so months. I'm, not sure why they are doing that.

Also, it's looking like Virgin will be pricing it closer to $300.

It's a nice phone if you can handle it stock and are willing to pay for it, but I think I will pass and wait to see what they bring with 4g.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I bet a lot of sprints wimax 4g phones get passed down to the prepaid market once they roll out lte

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I cant wait! Im sick of the OV's tiny screen. The triumph isnt an option with its crappy reception and gps issues, as I use my cell as my only phone and navigation device.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Looking at some other forums, this phone looks worse and worse.

The battery seems to be a major issue with devs especially. How many times have all of you needed to pull the battery? Devs will shy away from this because it will simply be too difficult to recover from bad flashes. Messing with it is just asking to brick it. Yes, you could wait for the battery to die, but these batteries are damaged or destroyed by doing that. That isn't to say there won't be people modding it, but it will be quite limited.

Another thing to consider is that Virgin WILL be rolling out 4g phones in 4-10 months. They initially claimed 4, but it looks like it may have been pushed back. This phone DOES NOT support 4g, and you will be wanting that. Kind of silly to spend $200+ on a phone and have to replace it in 5 or so months. I'm, not sure why they are doing that.

Also, it's looking like Virgin will be pricing it closer to $300.

It's a nice phone if you can handle it stock and are willing to pay for it, but I think I will pass and wait to see what they bring with 4g.
Well the Kindle Fire doesn't have a removable battery, but if you hold the power button for ~20 seconds, it will force power off. This helps a lot and maybe it will be in the one v

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just relaying what I have been seeing, and some have been claiming that will deter devs.
Holding the power button can work, but it's still not a replacement for a battery pull. Especially when someone remaps the button. LOL

Don't expect Virgin to let HTC be nice about the bootloader either. Virgin seems to be one of the worst for locking down phones, and HTC is quite good at it when they want to be. Go look at the Wildfire S forums and see what they have for roms... It's not good.

rukin5197

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just relaying what I have been seeing, and some have been claiming that will deter devs.
Holding the power button can work, but it's still not a replacement for a battery pull. Especially when someone remaps the button. LOL

Don't expect Virgin to let HTC be nice about the bootloader either. Virgin seems to be one of the worst for locking down phones, and HTC is quite good at it when they want to be. Go look at the Wildfire S forums and see what they have for roms... It's not good.

I believe I read over at XDA that a Sense CEO said on twitter that they weren't going to be locking their bootloaders anymore. But then one of the XDA CEOs interviewed him and he said that he didn't say that. So, there's no telling.. lol

gerbalblaste

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I bet a lot of sprints wimax 4g phones get passed down to the prepaid market once they roll out lte

Sprint wants that spectrum to put LTE on. They are going to kill wimax asap. I really doubt they will give themselves yet another legacy application by switching their pay-go networks to wimax.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe I read over at XDA that a Sense CEO said on twitter that they weren't going to be locking their bootloaders anymore. But then one of the XDA CEOs interviewed him and he said that he didn't say that. So, there's no telling.. lol
Virgin is extremely against rooting and puts a lot of effort into locking their phones down.
It's amazing they released the Triumph with as loose of a lock as they did.

I also beleive the comment about locking HTC was that they would release an unlock tool for their premium phones.

Sprint wants that spectrum to put LTE on. They are going to kill wimax asap. I really doubt they will give themselves yet another legacy application by switching their pay-go networks to wimax.
Exactly, Wimax is expensive and not very good.
LTE is cheaper.

The goal is to get everything onto LTE because it is the cheapest way to provide data. That is precisely why they are putting prepaid on it. Same applies to T-mobile, it's cheaper to provide than 3g. This is why when you go over your 4g limit on T-mobile they drop you to 2g.

Everyone thinks Sprint will want more for it, when in reality, it's in Sprint's best interest to get you onto 4g asap.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
LeslieAnn I think people are over reacting about the battery. Several of the new motorola phones dont have removable batteries and they seem to be getting plenty of love. But then again it is a motorola phone on a carrier like verizon or att.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Until they can guarantee me 3 days battery, I refuse to not have a removable battery.

I carry a backup plus an external charger. I never know when I could be on the phone for hours at a time or at a job site for 16+ hours.

Besides, does anyone not remember the exploding Macbooks. Sorry your new Macbook is trashed, but hey, gotta love that screen! It wasn't just Mac, but the built in battery swelling caused it to destroy the shell. Not to mention battery go bad and die.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Until they can guarantee me 3 days battery, I refuse to not have a removable battery.

I carry a backup plus an external charger. I never know when I could be on the phone for hours at a time or at a job site for 16+ hours.

Besides, does anyone not remember the exploding Macbooks. Sorry your new Macbook is trashed, but hey, gotta love that screen! It wasn't just Mac, but the built in battery swelling caused it to destroy the shell. Not to mention battery go bad and die.

You can still carry around a spare battery, you just have to carry around a small screw driver and soldering gun too.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

vince689

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually pretty excited for this if it really does come to Virgin Mobile. I really think the design is great and the new stripped down Sense looks nice along with the fact it's running ICS. I understand how some would like to swap out the battery but for me it wouldn't really be too much of an issue. Also, now that HTC is trying to release less phones this year hopefully it'll have more support and updates to fix any issues.

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The whole non-removable battery would be enough to keep me away from this phone. I know how batteries can go bad since I had to replace mine 3 months after I got my OV. Yeah the battery could possibly outlast the phone (doubt it) but if it doesn't I don't wanna have to buy a new phone or perform surgery on it to replace the battery. Sounds like a way to make some money.. Instead of replacing batteries lets make customers buy a new phone or pay a fortune to have it replaced. I also keep a spare battery since I always seem to forget to charge my phone or I'm running around and don't have time to charge