newish Android user with rooted phone and question

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the Optimus V and have rooted the phone. I'm not using a custom ROM - I just wanted to move apps to the SD card and remove the Virgin Mobile junkware because I was always fighting low memory and not enough to receive text messages. I was using App2SD but found that many of the apps were not movable and thought rooting was the best option.

My question relates to rooting and using Link2SD and Titanium Backup (I bought the pro version).

Even after rooting and using Link2SD, I found that some apps were not able to be moved to the SD card.I'm talking about apps that I've downloaded from the market, not the bloatware that VM put on the phone. It's weird, because I think that Link2SD gave the option to "Create Link" and move the app to the SD card, but when I later went into App2SD, it reported that the app was still on the phone, not the SD card.

I found there was an option in Titanium Backup to move apps to the SD card, so I tried those same apps that I first tried Link2SD to move to the SD card, but did not appear to really move to the SD card. There's an button that says "Move to SD card" in Titanium Backup (after doing a long-press on the app in the list).

I'm not sure if this makes sense. I don't have any screenshots, but may be able to get them up tomorrow. I need to be at my home PC to use the Android SDK to get the screenshot.

It appears that I'm doing something wrong. Even after telling both Link2SD and Titanium Backup to move everything to the SD card, I still currently have only 16.9MB Internal RAM free and 34.2MB System ROM free.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Link2SD does move the app and even the delvik cache files on most apps. What ur seeing from App2SD is the link that Link2SD uses which basicly fools everything other than Link2SD into believing the app in on the internal memory and really its just the small link file. So if I were u: revert all apps to phone with app2sd and titanium backup and redo the links with Link2SD then watch as ur SD space available shinks but ur internal memory stays mostly free. The link files and the delvik caches u can't move will still take up some space but u will be able to hold alot more apps than before by an easy 2x-4x.

Reactions: rkhanso

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
So, should I NOT use Titanium Backup to move apps to the SD card? Is Link2SD better for this?

jmart981

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Once rooted, i think its a fair argument to install a custom recovery and rom...in your case it seems like app2sd is important, minus the bloatware...try the bumblebee rom; reliable and fast, minus all the virgin mobile apps, except activation app, plus more internal memory to start with, it was around 150mb after installing my apps and moving them to the SD card...just my two cents

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I think I'll try the Harmonia ROM. It's got a lot of good reviews. Now, I just need to find detailed directions on how to install it......searching.

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the phone rooted and tried to install the Harmonia ROM, but can't get it to load.

I downloaded the ROM and put it on the root of the memory card in the phone. Then, in ROM Manager (v4.3.1.3), I selected "Install ROM from SD Card. I scrolled to the bottom and found the ROM and the selected it. In the ROM Pre-Installation options, I left it at the default (ONLY Wipe Dalvik Cache was checked). I selected OK and OK and then the phone rebooted into recovery mode (had to install Clockwork Recovery from within the ROM Manager app).

The orange text showed up in Clockwork recovery mode. I could scroll with the volume button to select the new ROM, but that's it. I tried each button as an "Enter" key, but all that happened was the orange circle with the hat on it. It would sit and nothing would happen, Nothing moved on the screen. To get away from this little loop (the menu and the circle with the hat), I had to pull the battery and then the phone booted up normally.

Am I doing something wrong here?

youngSWi

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the phone rooted and tried to install the Harmonia ROM, but can't get it to load.

I downloaded the ROM and put it on the root of the memory card in the phone. Then, in ROM Manager (v4.3.1.3), I selected "Install ROM from SD Card. I scrolled to the bottom and found the ROM and the selected it. In the ROM Pre-Installation options, I left it at the default (ONLY Wipe Dalvik Cache was checked). I selected OK and OK and then the phone rebooted into recovery mode (had to install Clockwork Recovery from within the ROM Manager app).

The orange text showed up in Clockwork recovery mode. I could scroll with the volume button to select the new ROM, but that's it. I tried each button as an "Enter" key, but all that happened was the orange circle with the hat on it. It would sit and nothing would happen, Nothing moved on the screen. To get away from this little loop (the menu and the circle with the hat), I had to pull the battery and then the phone booted up normally.

yes you have to use the camera button as select ;) (thank if helps)

Reactions: rkhanso

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Do what young said and make sure to back up first before flashing because if you don't like the Harmonia ROM you need to have something to back up to.

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I tried using mmmark111's Recovery Flasher (option 1) and get this error:

Code:
If you need to wipe the dalvik-cache for the
 ROM you are installing, you can do so from the main menu.
 Cache partition can be wiped from the recovery on your phone
 after the ROM has been flashed.

Place the ROM you would like to flash in
 the "ROM" folder and rename it to ROM.zip
 Once completed, proceed.

Press any key to continue . . .
remount failed: Operation not permitted
cannot create /cache/recovery/command: permission denied
cannot create /cache/recovery/command: permission denied
reboot: Operation not permitted

I hope this program has helped you.
If you have any questions, please refer
to my threads on androidcentral and XDA.

If you would like to donate, my paypal link
can be found in the forums as well :)

-mmmark111

Press any key to continue . . .
I'm not sure what to do. I have the phone connected to the computer via the USB cable. I downloaded the harmonia.zip (renaming it to ROM.zip) and put it in the ROM folder of the mmmark111's Recovery Flasher. I also have the USB debugging turned on on the phone. I do NOT have it in "USB Connected" mode, but have tried it both ways and it doesn't work either way.

If I choose option 9 and reboot into recovery, the ClockworkMod Recovery starts up on the phone and I again will get the error about Amend scripting no longer being supported.

Sorry, I really don't understand much of this stuff.

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I selected option 2. then it rebooted into recovery mode, but it rebooted into clockworkmod recovery again. And again, I get the error "Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported......." when trying to install zip from sdcard

Do I need to somehow remove the clockworkmod recovery?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
First, download the Xionia compatible recovery posted above and put it on your SDCard.

Download and install Terminal Emulator from the Android Market. Open it and type su, if you see a # sign, continue, if not see below.

Next type the following lines:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/NAME-OF-RECOVERY.img

It will take about 30 seconds to flash the recovery, then type reboot recovery

The should take you into your new recovery, and allow you to install your ROM with the proper scripting.

If you don't get a # sign after typing su in terminal, you are not rooted properly, see rooting thread

If you get an error when attempting the flash_image line, you don't have the flash_image file on your phone, you can get flash_image here

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
After I press the number 2 on the mmmark111 program, in a little while, another DOS window pops up. There are some messages that don't look good, but the screen goes away pretty quick and I can't catch it all. Something about vrecovery img. no such file
and some invalid arguments.

Then the phone goes into the clockworkmod recovery.

I posted this after I saw the reply above. I'll try those things listed.

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
First, download the Xionia compatible recovery posted above and put it on your SDCard.
Which one is correct? I see 5 of them. It looks like I can disregard the CM7 since I'm not installing that.

Also, I'm getting a 404 error on each of the links.

But, if the files were available, which one should I use? And, any other sources than these links?

Terminal Emulator su command gives me a #

Do I need to remove clockworkmod recovery somehow?

Last edited:

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
OK. I got the Harmonia ROM on the phone. Not sure what combination of things I did that made the difference, but it's running on Harmonia now.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

rkhanso

May 22, 2011
Visit site
The phone has been working pretty good since upgrading to Harmonia.
One thing I've notice, not sure if it's related to Harmonia.....is the voice recognition force crashes a lot. A reboot of the phone gets it working again. I didn't have this problem before rooting.

When trying some voice recognition, it starts up and looks like it's accepting audio for a little bit, then I get a force crash.

Otherwise, I really like it.