Squaretrade for Optimus V?

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought a new/sealed OV on eBay for $159 a few weeks back. I have an offer for a Squaretrade warranty for it for about $21. Any opinions on whether it's worth it on a phone like this?

notserpmh

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd get the insurance instead from virgin mobile for 5 dollars a month.

Assuming he has it more than 4 months, that is bad advice. After 4 months, he would be paying more than the square trade warranty. Warranties are tricky, be sure to read the fine print. I am guessing you got that quote with ST by picking "other phone" (which starts it at $59) and then using some sort of coupon code. You might want to verify with them that it is still covered since it is an Android phone and they have a different (more expensive) category specifically for android phones. Also, realize it doesn't cover the battery and accidental damage (drops, spills, water damage) require a $50 deductible which kind of ruins the deal (in my opinion).

Also realize that you have a 12 month warranty from LG and the square trade one overlaps that, so you really only get a year or so. Granted, squaretrade is likely going to be easier to submit a claim to if needed than LG.

In general, most statistics show that if you don't buy extended warranties on anything, you will come out ahead (assuming you buy an average amount of things that extended warranties are sold for). You might every once in a while have something break where an extended warranty will help out, but overall the savings from not buying other warranties should compensate.

Most likely, the phone will break from dropping it or some other accident. Unless you are highly accident prone, $71 (21 for the warranty and 50 for the deductable) seems a high gamble for a phone you got for $160 (and likely can get cheaper in the future, especially after Motorola releases their android VM phone). Odds are a random circuit won't fry between years 1-2 (usually either manufacturing defects show themselves pretty quickly or the phone is good and will last for years).

All that said, if $21 makes you sleep better at night and not worry about it, then it is worth it.

Reactions: Ticojpunk

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think, even though it's "only" $21 for the warranty, it still might be $21 wasted. I have rarely had any problems with electronics, and if my phone is indeed covered for one year from LG, then that's good enough for me.

kimberlyinmn

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
What option are you using when getting your quote via Square Trade? I did a quote for an Android smart phone and the quote given to me was $124 (or something like that).

Thanks,

Kimberly

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
What option are you using when getting your quote via Square Trade? I did a quote for an Android smart phone and the quote given to me was $124 (or something like that).

Thanks,

Kimberly

I actually didn't use any options at all. I just bought the phone on eBay and then got a Squaretrade offer via the sellers account sent to my email. Then a reminder about a week later.

kimberlyinmn

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I actually didn't use any options at all. I just bought the phone on eBay and then got a Squaretrade offer via the sellers account sent to my email. Then a reminder about a week later.

Ah, okay. :) Well, at least it's not because I wasn't trying. I did send the Square Trade people an email to ask if the quote I was getting was accurate for a $150 phone. Then again, they also have a $60 deductible for accidental damage from handling (ADH). Maybe I'll just be careful. LOL I've bought their warranty for my Kindle, iPod Touch, and netbook - mainly because we have three small dogs and a cat, but those warranties were MUCH cheaper.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Warranties = ripoff!

You will have to pay for the warranty, pay for a deductible, pay for shipping and handling, and they will try their best to deny your claim.

Put the money you would pay for a warranty into a piggy bank, toss in the deductible, and you've pretty much got the replacement funds you would need with no headaches trying to get them to service your claim.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty