"Jellybean" Software Update was a TERRIBLE Decision, Want "Ice Cream Sandwich" Back..

Joel Calvario

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Jellybean" Software Update was a TERRIBLE Decision, Want "Ice Cream Sandwich" Back..

I recently updated to Android Version 4.1.2 . I have the Razr MAXX, and wish I had not upgraded from ICS 4.0.4 .. I have been unable to use my phone for WiFi tether since. I was using FoxFi and have grandfathered unlimited from Verizon. Can ANYONE help me get back to what I had? I miss it so.

Thanks

Kevin
I have the droid RAZR and use foxfi as well. Did you find a solution?

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Jellybean" Software Update was a TERRIBLE Decision, Want "Ice Cream Sandwich" Back..

Seems like there is a problem with upgrading. Folks who upgrade from GB to ICS make similar complaints and want to go back to GB. But if you get a phone that comes with ICS it seems to work beautifully. Same with JB.

frog007

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

Joel I have the same problem you have and trying to go back myself

Curt Freeman

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

I've declined the upgrade 9 times today.At what point do they force it? I want to use Fox fi for a road trip with three
kids on Monday.

oldrustbucket

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

I'm in a similar boat...I've used PDA net/Fox-Fi for a few month now till yesterday and was told by my "phone" that it's not available anymore because if JB....I want my ICS back !!! It worked fine for me.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Whenever you upgrade OS's to a major upgrade, ie Gingerbread to ICS or ICS to JB there are things left behind by the old OS that the new one has no use for and which may in fact cause the new one to misbehave. After upgrading, the first rule of thumb is to back everything up and do a hard reset. That generally takes care of most problems, but if it does not then do a Google search for how to wipe your system cache and davlik cache - a lot of junk gets stored here that can certainly cause you problems. If you really want to make sure you've gotten rid of all those old ICS files then after backing up erase your sd card and usb drive after you've upgraded.

The upside in doing these things is that it will take care of almost all issues reported with OS upgrades. The downside is you have to go back and set up your phone from scratch again. Even though you backed it up you should still install everything fresh because the restore app could deposit some files from the old OS that you don't need and which could cause you problems.

androiduser622

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

I too have declined the upgrade when I learned my son had issues with the upgrade on his Razor Maxx. I'm using a Galaxy Nexus and don't want to mess up the use of FoxFi and other features my phone offers.
  1. Does anyone know if this upgrade will be forced?
    [*]Does anyone have the Galaxy Nexus? and have you upgraded...and how has it helped or hindered your phone/ use??

BTW: The same thing happened to me during another upgrade, years ago (another phone). I too tried everything possible to get back to my older version...heard the same stories: "Can't go back" Fortunately I lost my phone and got another (same phone without upgrade) it came without the upgrade. I had to keep declining the upgrade daily and sometimes several times a day (annoying:mad:)... until I finally bought the Nexus. I've learned my lesson. I stay clear of the upgrades until I hear about them. This one seems to be messing up with many users so I would really like to know from other Galaxy Nexus Users.
Thanks.

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

So does anyone know how to switch back to ice cream sandwich then???.. the main app that i used everyday no longer works with the jellybean.. please help me out if you can.. would very much appreciate it

buffalochick

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

I just got an LG Intuition, running 4.0.4. I have a Droid X2 running 2.3.5. Is there any way I can switch to the bigger phone and still run foxfi? I have 2 kids that I use it for all the time and I'm grandfathered in to Unlimited data. I switched and it didn't work, so I switched back. Need help. I'm reading that it is working for some with this OS. What am I doing wrong? Newbie here.....

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

So does anyone know how to switch back to ice cream sandwich then???.. the main app that i used everyday no longer works with the jellybean.. please help me out if you can.. would very much appreciate it

Your username?

paigemariee

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

For all of you having problems with FoxFi on Jellybean, you might want to try downloading Open Garden. It uses bluetooth for sharing bandwidth and sets up a p2p network among the devices it's installed on which makes for a more dynamic way to stay connected. It's currently supported for Android, OSX and Windows.

Roberto Tejada

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

Hi I just joined this forum, I have the same problem with a droid Razr that I updated to JB and now I cannot used foxfi unless I pay VZ. If you had a rooted phone on ICS and protected your root, JB will be rooted but foxfi and android tether won't work. I may be speculating but if you were rooted on ICS and used SQLlite to unlock the VZ hotspot it may still work on JB. Needless to say I have tried to go back to ICS by clearing it's cash and reflashing it with ICS stock version and I end up on a boot loop. The only thing I can do now is to flash the jellybean ota. I was able to get my hands on a droid razr with original ICS stock and if you root and dowl load the Titanium back up pro edition you can freeze the update and stop it from updating. I will keep working on the old phone but I at this time it's looking like the update may be a permanent one.

omaar415

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site

Plzzzz plzzzz i wont ? update m'y sony xperia u. For ics 4.0.1

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Yes, you'll have to root your phone. Google it and you'll find instructions.

Scott Thomas2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Yes, you'll have to root your phone. Google it and you'll find instructions.

Okay obviously I'm new here... so how would I root my phone? Is there another forum with walk thru's on that? Or did you mean Google rooting the phone?
I don't care for the JB either. My wife's phone had JB from the get-go (Samsung Galaxy Stellar). I got a Droid 4 with ICS originally on it.
My wife uses a communication device computer that has BT which allows her the make calls (she's non-verbal). She couldn't get
the text via BT to work but I could... until I updated. Now I wish I hadn't...

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

If you are new then I wouldn't try rooting and flashing the rom as the latter part can be quite tricky and you can brick your phone. Unfortunately, there isn't a solution outside of rooting and flashing the rom back to ICS. Perhaps you could find somebody who has done this successfully and get them to do this for you. As for getting more information on this check out this site: Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers. They have rom packages for most phones. Search for your phone model and follow the threads and good luck.

FWIW, I have Jelly Bean now and I don't mind it. It is different from ICS, but then again ICS was different from Gingerbread. It just takes some getting used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa