Update to Jelly Bean from ICS - how?

sids666

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not totally clear how you update from ICS to JB if you didnt buy the phone locked to a particular network. I have a HTC One S and am living in the Middle East, I didnt purchase the phone from the phone company and this model is not supported by the carrier. Is there a way you can update the software without waiting for the phone company to download it (possibly never)?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
There are two ways how update works.

Phones from carriers: HTC update the software, then carrier test and add their stuffs. push it to consumer.

Phone bought directly and not from carriers: HTC update the software and push it to consumers.

but there is a catch to this. HTC can stop pushing updates.

HTC takes the updates from google and add their own flavor to it. this process can take a while. sometimes 10 months.

here is what i did!! eliminated carrier and HTC and bought the phone directly from google. they are called nexus phones.

sids666

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

It seems a bit silly to have to wait for the updates from the carriers that may or may not ever arrive - why doesn't Android do the same as Apple and allow you to go to their website and download the updates at your convenience?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

It seems a bit silly to have to wait for the updates from the carriers that may or may not ever arrive - why doesn't Android do the same as Apple and allow you to go to their website and download the updates at your convenience?

Because the carriers tweak the o/s and add their own apps and widgets. The carriers have to tweak the updates so that they work and don't brick your phone. Apple strong armed the carriers (initially just AT&T) and does not let them modify the o/s. They got away with that with AT&T initially because AT&T signed an exclusive agreement. Then Verizon was so hot for the phone that they also agreed to it. Apple gets away with it because you cannot get an Apple phone from anyone else. There are dozens of companies that make Android phones (as well as Windows phones) so that game plan doesn't work. You always have the option of installing a custom ROM as long as there is one available for your phone.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

android is open so some manufacturer dont care to update it. nexus 4 is directly supported by google and it cost only $299 without any contract.

sids666

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Because the carriers tweak the o/s and add their own apps and widgets. The carriers have to tweak the updates so that they work and don't brick your phone.

I feel that is a failing of the android system then - as in much of the world the practice is to buy the handset from an independent retailer and insert the sim from your chosen carrier, you don't have carrier specific apps. If you cannot upgrade a handset bought on the open market then it will certainly make me think twice about staying with the android system next time I change.

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
It is a short coming and has been debated for years, but you aren't going to change the cell phone carriers. Apple can do it because it makes both the phone and the o/s and prohibits the carriers from making changes. If you want Android and want to avoid all this buy a Nexus through the Play Store. Your OTA updates will come directly from Google without delay.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95