Just another recently converted from iPhone 6 to S6 Edge

A

AC Question

Hi Guys,
I have finally made the switch, within a day its obvious why Android > iOS.
But there were some easy features on iPhone that was cool and made my life easy, now I'm sure that android can do all of those, or at least hope so. So I'm going to post a series of q's that most you guys could probably answer in minutes.
fyi: Samsung S6 EDGE, Android 5.1.1 with Google Launcher

Thank you in advance for reading this ridiculously long post.

1) How do I add both my left and right thumb to be able to unlock my phone?

2) Gestures on Buzz Launcher are awesome anyway I can activate this with the Google Launcher.

3) How Do I change the size of my apps, without changing theme.

4)There's a neat iPhone theme, any reason why I wouldn't want to use that (other than looking like a knob)

5)How do I get Google Maps as a widget, all the screenshots for google widget and google now, have them but for some reason it doesn't come up for my phone.

6)How can I get Google maps to show on lockscreen when Im driving.

7)I keep getting old notifications that I've already dismissed, how do I fix that ?

8)How can I check what connection I have, eg. EDGE, 3G, 4G

9)How can I get notifications on the curves of the S6 Edge.

These answers would make my life, and the life of many converters and potential converters much much easier, and again I thank you those of you that kept on reading :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

1) How do I add both my left and right thumb to be able to unlock my phone?

I believe you can save more than one fingerprint when you first set up the fingerprint scanner.

2) Gestures on Buzz Launcher are awesome anyway I can activate this with the Google Launcher.

Gestures aren't supported with the Google Now Launcher, but there are many 3rd party launchers that do support them, like Nova Launcher.

3) How Do I change the size of my apps, without changing theme.

You can change the grid size, which will change the size of the icons: How to change the home screen app grid size on the Galaxy S6 | Android Central. But I'm not sure if you can change the icon size alone. Again, 3rd party launchers like Nova Launcher may be able to do this.

4)There's a neat iPhone theme, any reason why I wouldn't want to use that (other than looking like a knob)

Do you mean a theme or launcher that makes it look like an iPhone? Do what you'd like, it's your phone.:)

5)How do I get Google Maps as a widget,
6)How can I get Google maps to show on lockscreen when Im driving.

There actually isn't an official Google Maps widget. I'm not entirely sure why, but if they did have one, I bet it would be a significant battery drain. You could try using Map Live Wallpaper instead, but I'm not sure if that will show on the lockscreen. The lockscreen usually times out after about 5-10 seconds, so it wouldn't be that feasible, unless you only need to glance at it periodically.

7)I keep getting old notifications that I've already dismissed, how do I fix that ?

Notifications for what? If you haven't actually acted on whatever you were being notified about, they might keep occurring.

8)How can I check what connection I have, eg. EDGE, 3G, 4G

That should appear in your status bar. Different phones may show it differently--it might show E, 2G, or 1X for EDGE, 3G or H or H+ for 3G, and 4G, LTE, or 4GLTE for 4G.

9)How can I get notifications on the curves of the S6 Edge.

Check out pg 109 of your manual: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...M-G925F_UM_EU_Lollipop_Eng_Rev.1.0_150302.pdf

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That is dependent on the app--not all apps will let you adjust this. Open the app, tap Menu>Settings, and check to see if you can turn off location sharing. Unlike iOS, you can't pick and choose which permissions you want to turn on or off for individual apps in the System Settings--at least, not yet. I believe Marshmallow will allow you to be more granular.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
That is dependent on the app--not all apps will let you adjust this. Open the app, tap Menu>Settings, and check to see if you can turn off location sharing. Unlike iOS, you can't pick and choose which permissions you want to turn on or off for individual apps in the System Settings--at least, not yet. I believe Marshmallow will allow you to be more granular.

I can turn on and off for the entire phone's location sharing, but not per apps. I missed this feature since it's important for me (as you said). Wish marshmallow can do that

Posted via the Android Central App #Galnote5

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty